Burrell just jacked another one.....is anyone else.... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Burrell just jacked another one.....is anyone else....

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby slomo007 » Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:42 pm

intense wrote:Maybe im wrong, but didn't Burrel do the exact same thing last year? Start off really well then dwindle... I may be completely wrong and just sad I don't own him, but im pretty sure that was the case?


He does this every year....but sometimes it's in the middle of the year, sometimes the beginning. He is capable of posting a .400 BA for an entire month, and then follow it with a .175 or below BA for another month. That's just the type of hitter he is...it's all or nothing. I give up though, I've argued this in about 5 different threads, and each time I hear so many people say that this year is going to be different and he'll keep it up and they refuse to listen because they're blinded by his stats right now. I've put the stats up to show otherwise, but I don't even have the motivation to do that anymore. Time will tell, but I don't think he comes close to having a season comparable to a top OFer at all.

This is the time to sell high, but I feel like I'm telling this to a brick wall. Good luck guys, if you're right then you got one heck of a steal.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicEagle Eye
Posts: 11960
Joined: 31 May 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby intense » Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:45 pm

quicksilver8 wrote:I am a proud Burrell owner in my NL only league. I have owned him for years...the good ones and the bad ones. I am debating whether he is teasing or will he finally break out with .280 40-110 this year. I could probably get Beckett or Sheets for him right now in my league...



Why would you not deal him for Beckett or Sheets while you can? This seems like a no brainer.
intense
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 952
Joined: 3 Aug 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby quicksilver8 » Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:47 pm

Intense...I am trying to deal Burrell for Beckett or Sheets...but the owner of Sheet and Beckett is currently in 1st and "doesn't think his team needs any improvement offensively" (which is a joke...his offense is horrible.)
quicksilver8
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 454
Joined: 7 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: The Nebuchadnezzar

Postby speedy27 » Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:51 pm

slomo007 wrote:
intense wrote:Maybe im wrong, but didn't Burrel do the exact same thing last year? Start off really well then dwindle... I may be completely wrong and just sad I don't own him, but im pretty sure that was the case?


He does this every year....but sometimes it's in the middle of the year, sometimes the beginning. He is capable of posting a .400 BA for an entire month, and then follow it with a .175 or below BA for another month. That's just the type of hitter he is...it's all or nothing. I give up though, I've argued this in about 5 different threads, and each time I hear so many people say that this year is going to be different and he'll keep it up and they refuse to listen because they're blinded by his stats right now. I've put the stats up to show otherwise, but I don't even have the motivation to do that anymore. Time will tell, but I don't think he comes close to having a season comparable to a top OFer at all.

This is the time to sell high, but I feel like I'm telling this to a brick wall. Good luck guys, if you're right then you got one heck of a steal.


With a start like this, it's got to make one wonder about performance enhancing drugs ;-)
speedy27
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2792
(Past Year: 8)
Joined: 30 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TheYanks04 » Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:07 pm

OK, you made me look up his numbers.

I do not know if there is a meaningful trend here outside of the fact that it looks like he has a tendency to hit really well in May and June seems to be a month where he slumps a bit. His 2002 numbers indicate that he had a pretty decent 2nd half that year though. Looks like last season he tailed off though some of that was from injury in all liklihood. 2003 was so bad that they are meaningless in this analysis as if you believed he was really that awful he should not be on your roster.



My Month:
2004:
Month avg HR/RBI/R
April: .289 2/16/11
May: .333 8/26/20
June: .220 4/11/12
July: .221 4/15/8
Aug: Hurt...missed all but 2 games
Sept: .235 6/16/13


2003: ALL REALLY, REALLY BAD.

2002:
Month avg HR/RBI/R
April: .265 6/15/15
May: .341 8/19/14
June: .245 5/24/17
July: .290 7/17/25
Aug: .274 7/26/15
Sept: .283 4/15/10
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero


Posts: 9531
Joined: 12 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby chaos » Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:35 pm

chances are he prolly wont keep up this pace... but burrell's for real no that larry bowa is gone.
God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh.
-- Voltaire
chaos
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

User avatar

Posts: 45
Joined: 28 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TheYanks04 » Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:38 pm

Bowa = Bobby V without the brains.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero


Posts: 9531
Joined: 12 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby 4Pack » Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:44 pm

slomo007 wrote:
intense wrote:Maybe im wrong, but didn't Burrel do the exact same thing last year? Start off really well then dwindle... I may be completely wrong and just sad I don't own him, but im pretty sure that was the case?


He does this every year....but sometimes it's in the middle of the year, sometimes the beginning. He is capable of posting a .400 BA for an entire month, and then follow it with a .175 or below BA for another month. That's just the type of hitter he is...it's all or nothing. I give up though, I've argued this in about 5 different threads, and each time I hear so many people say that this year is going to be different and he'll keep it up and they refuse to listen because they're blinded by his stats right now. I've put the stats up to show otherwise, but I don't even have the motivation to do that anymore. Time will tell, but I don't think he comes close to having a season comparable to a top OFer at all.

This is the time to sell high, but I feel like I'm telling this to a brick wall. Good luck guys, if you're right then you got one heck of a steal.


Well Slo...I really don't see anyone arguing that he can keep this up. At this pace he is looking at close to 100 HR's and 200 RBI's. That is not going to happen. However....this is "Fantasy" baseball in every sense.

While his history is riddled with hot and cold spells like you say...I also know that any player can have a season where everything clicks for some reason. Baseball history is littered with "one year wonders" and late bloomers and players that make a small adjustment to their approach to the game and suddenly have the edge they need to improve their game dramatically.

Hey...maybe a month from now Burrell will be back to his old self again....but for his owners...we have to hope that this is the season that he gets over that hump.

Also...I may be in the minority of fantasy managers...but I never get too caught up in stats of past seasons. They are decent guidelines...but if I went by them all the time...then I would never get that "steal" in the draft every season. More seasons than not...those late round picks play a HUGE role in the success of my fantasy teams.
4Pack
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 828
Joined: 14 Jun 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Wisconsin

Postby slomo007 » Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:47 pm

4Pack wrote:
slomo007 wrote:
intense wrote:Maybe im wrong, but didn't Burrel do the exact same thing last year? Start off really well then dwindle... I may be completely wrong and just sad I don't own him, but im pretty sure that was the case?


He does this every year....but sometimes it's in the middle of the year, sometimes the beginning. He is capable of posting a .400 BA for an entire month, and then follow it with a .175 or below BA for another month. That's just the type of hitter he is...it's all or nothing. I give up though, I've argued this in about 5 different threads, and each time I hear so many people say that this year is going to be different and he'll keep it up and they refuse to listen because they're blinded by his stats right now. I've put the stats up to show otherwise, but I don't even have the motivation to do that anymore. Time will tell, but I don't think he comes close to having a season comparable to a top OFer at all.

This is the time to sell high, but I feel like I'm telling this to a brick wall. Good luck guys, if you're right then you got one heck of a steal.


Well Slo...I really don't see anyone arguing that he can keep this up. At this pace he is looking at close to 100 HR's and 200 RBI's. That is not going to happen. However....this is "Fantasy" baseball in every sense.

While his history is riddled with hot and cold spells like you say...I also know that any player can have a season where everything clicks for some reason. Baseball history is littered with "one year wonders" and late bloomers and players that make a small adjustment to their approach to the game and suddenly have the edge they need to improve their game dramatically.

Hey...maybe a month from now Burrell will be back to his old self again....but for his owners...we have to hope that this is the season that he gets over that hump.

Also...I may be in the minority of fantasy managers...but I never get too caught up in stats of past seasons. They are decent guidelines...but if I went by them all the time...then I would never get that "steal" in the draft every season. More seasons than not...those late round picks play a HUGE role in the success of my fantasy teams.


There really is no reason for me to even counter-argue again. I am going to go by his history, rather than by what "might happen." Maybe you'll be right, and if you got him in the 20th round then that is a great gamble to take....but, I would still be looking to deal him high, and there's no way anyone would be able to convince me to trade for him now. We'll just agree to disagree because I've posted plenty of thoughts on Burrell and they always get overlooked by people drooling over his HR that night. If everything lines up for him this year, then I'll just be wrong, but I'm definitely betting against it.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicEagle Eye
Posts: 11960
Joined: 31 May 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Jury » Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:16 pm

max01889 wrote:If Burrell does well this second week I might start shopping him around and possibly trade him for a juicy offer. He has always had problems, but has the potential to put up monster #s.


Start shopping him now - that's my advice ;-D
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 3328
Joined: 17 Feb 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

cron
Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Wednesday, Oct. 22
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

San Francisco at Kansas City
(8:07 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact