JOBO vs. Betancourt...who has better chance at saves? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

JOBO vs. Betancourt...who has better chance at saves?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

JOBO vs. Betancourt...who has better chance at saves?

Postby quicksilver8 » Mon Apr 11, 2005 5:45 pm

Anyone have any thoughts on who is more likely to move into the closer role soon: Joe Borowski or R. Betancourt?
quicksilver8
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby stumpak » Mon Apr 11, 2005 6:07 pm

Borowski is a much better option--I am confident that Dusty will make him the man once he is healthy.

As for Bentcourt, the possible demise of Wickman is overrated. Sure he blew up his first game but the last two saves he had were on back to back days, which says a lot more about his health an ergo his long-term prospects for this year. He always looks shaky because he tends to let guys on base but he manages to convert his save opportunities at a pretty good rate anyway. In my opinion, the only way Wickman will lose his job is if he gets absolutely shelled over a prolonged period (Matt Herges 2004 style) or if health problems come up.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Postby TheYanks04 » Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:04 pm

Given Borowski's health concerns I hardly think he is going to get the closer's job right away unless Hawkins is just stinking up the place. If Hawkins is doing an OK job, Borowski may end up setting up for awhile. It is Baker though, so break out the Magic-8 ball.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby LBJackal » Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:30 pm

They've been using Betancourt for a few innings at a time and he's still been very effective so maybe they want to leave it like that. They don't have a shortage of quality arms in the pen so I wouldn't bet too much than Betancourt gets the job. As for Borowski, he's out for a while still, and who knows if he'll be right when he gets back. He's barely pitched over the past couple years, and when he has pitched he's been horrible. Then he goes and breaks a bone in his pitching arm. If he can get back and healthy and throwing 91 MPH again, and Hawkins can't get it done, they'd probably hand it over to Borowski after a few outings to get back in shape. So between these two... pickup Betancourt for now. He'll help your team even if he isn't the closer. In a month see how Boro is progressing and maybe pick him up.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Return to Baseball Leftovers