Sutcliffe: More steroid busts soon - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Sutcliffe: More steroid busts soon

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby KPucks » Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:33 pm

LBJackal wrote:Why don't they release all the names at once? Did some poeple pee too much in the cup so it takes longer to be analyzed? C'mon.

My guess would be that they take the test on different days, so they just release them when the tests come back. They don't all come back at the same time because they don't all get in at the same time.
KPucks
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby KolbSaves » Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:42 pm

My favorite part is how they don't explicitly say what illegal substance they were on.
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."
-Isaac Newton
KolbSaves
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby ramble2 » Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:34 pm

KolbSaves wrote:My favorite part is how they don't explicitly say what illegal substance they were on.

It might be part of the terms of the agreement that the specific substance isn't identified. It might broadly fall under a doctor/client confidentiality agreement.
"The game has a cleanness. If you do a good job, the numbers say so. You don't have to ask anyone or play politics. You don't have to wait for the reviews." - Sandy Koufax
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 5)

Postby TheYanks04 » Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:37 pm

It falls under the MLBPA agreement because those drugs are illegal without a prescription and it would open up some players to possible legal action.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby studplaya1114 » Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:56 pm

bd3521 wrote:I dont think MLB has the balls to release all-star level players. Just my .02cents

Yea, a good amount of their revenue will be gone if players like ARod and David Ortiz are suspended. The fanbase would get shallow as people lose interest in their idols
studplaya1114
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Conner » Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:59 pm

bd3521 wrote:I dont think MLB has the balls to release all-star level players. Just my .02cents

If that happened, and it were to ever be found out.....The result would be much much worse for MLB than if individual players were suspended, no matter who they are.
Conner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby cmchampa2 » Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:34 pm

I think everyone is right on track. And I doubt the league would suspend it's great players even if they could. There are so many issues here, I'm glad that baseball is starting to address them. I'm no expert, but I hear that the really good stuff, the human growth hormones, are detectable only through blood tests... which aren't done. To appease the players that can't afford the good stuff, they only get suspended for 10 days. Everyone wins.

Any other conspiracy theorists out there think that teams might start providing the "good stuff" to prospects through boosters or 3rd party people?
I'm not just the president of the Cornbread Maxwell Fan Club, I'm also the only member.
cmchampa2
College Coach
College Coach

Postby LBJackal » Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:47 pm

I don't know how expensive HGH is but it can't be so much that professional players can't afford it. I know they don't make much but for players who think they need it, this to them is the key to making it big. But designer steroids, like Cream and Clear... they'd probably be pricey. And not easy to get at all, after the BALCO fiasco.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby cmchampa2 » Mon Apr 11, 2005 11:09 pm

LBJackal wrote:I don't know how expensive HGH is but it can't be so much that professional players can't afford it. I know they don't make much but for players who think they need it, this to them is the key to making it big. But designer steroids, like Cream and Clear... they'd probably be pricey. And not easy to get at all, after the BALCO fiasco.

Even if the crappy players can afford it (and I agree with you that whatever it costs for the good stuff... pay it!), the current policy would still only catch the penny-pinching morons.

The conspiracy only has to be altered to "teams will instruct their prospects to use undetectable human growth hormones, but they have to pay for it."
I'm not just the president of the Cornbread Maxwell Fan Club, I'm also the only member.
cmchampa2
College Coach
College Coach

Postby davidmarver » Mon Apr 11, 2005 11:11 pm

Sutcliffe is a very good analyst. That said, everyone always overstates the amount of players using steroids. I think there will be 3 players in the majors who test positive that have been an All-Star sometime in their career. I don't think it'll be to the proportion people think.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers