Daily Lineup -- too much stress! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Daily Lineup -- too much stress!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Grouperman941 » Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:08 pm

I think my problem is I need to figure out at what point I'm over-managing.

I like the idea of rotating in a base-stealing 2b on Kent's days off, for example, and adjusting for injuries, but choosing between the mediocre guys just drives me nuts, especially this week when there is really very little to go on.

I like it better when I can't do anything about it for another week.

I disagree that there is no managing during the week in weekly. You are following trends, checking for hot players to pick up, proposing trades, etc. you just have to make your actual lineup moves on Monday morning.
Grouperman941
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TheYanks04 » Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:15 pm

Yup. As to the mediocre guys, do not sweat it. There is no magic to it and all you have to go by is your estimations of players. The guys are mediocre for a reason. Play the guy you think is the better player. After a few weeks, you will get an idea of who is performing and who isn't and you can make adjustments where needed.

We all have our players we can;t seem to guess right on...mine is Durazo. Tahtguy never hits when I activate him to the point where I do not even like him on my squad now.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Dmville » Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:55 pm

beltrans_boy wrote:
I'm thinking about benching Rolen for a couple of games this week in favor of Wright until I see some signs of a lively bat. Watch Rolen go 4/5 with 7 RBI.

:~(

IMO, never bench a top tier player unless he is hurt or off or you know he is playing injured. Wright did not get better than Rolen in the offseason and why pick a guy in the first few rounds and then sit him.

And to daily vs weekly--Daily. Should have max inning limit to minimize pitcher swaps and even though a monday injury happens to everyone, I still don't want to sit through it.
Dmville
Dmville
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby josebach » Tue Apr 12, 2005 8:49 am

One other valid point in favor of weekly line-up changes is that everybody in the league might not have access to a computer during work or have as much time to read all the notes on a daily basis. This doesn't mean that person is less knowledgeable about baseball or is not a good fantasy player. A weekly lineup will keeps everybody on a level playing field. I keep hearing people saying that daily line-up changes are more like real baseball, but real baseball doesn't let you start 10 starting pitchers a week or have a full line-up 7 days a week. I understand the argument for daily changes, but I just think weekly is better.

And definitely H2H over roto. In roto, you can have players be eliminated a month before the season is over and completely stop paying attention. It happens every time. If one person stops caring, the affect trickles up. By not caring, it's likely that he would hurt his overall standings in a category or two and someone else might finish a spot higher in the overall standings because of it. That's BS. In H2H, people pay attention longer if for no other reason than to beat their opponent for a given week and be the spoiler. Especially, if you payout for the winner of the loser's bracket like we do. H2H keeps people honest. Not only that, but matching up with a different friend/co-worker every week is just plain fun!!!
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Big Game JLo » Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:44 pm

josebach wrote: And definitely H2H over roto... matching up with a different friend/co-worker every week is just plain fun!!!

EXACTLY! ;-D

Nothing beats the chance to smack talk one week, and then be demoralized the next! H2H makes it feel like your having little playoff games every week. So even if your in last place, you feel like your still in it.
Big Game JLo
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers