Daily Lineup -- too much stress! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Daily Lineup -- too much stress!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby TheYanks04 » Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:16 pm

Boring? You think it is interesting subbing out Soriano with Mark Belllhorn on an off-day? To each his own. Having 10 or 12 owners subbing in scrubs daily is nonsense adding no appreciable net value to a league over a weekly format. Everyone plays 162 games at each position...every player gets days off and every own deals with the same issues on his roster...it all washes out. If you think that more value is added in setting in a few scrubs for a handful of days off, more power to you. I have played both and do not see this as a meaningful use of my time beyond the fact that I have to do it because EVERYONE ELSE is doing it under the rules as written.

As for injuries, if a player gets hurt, you miss all of 4 games on avg before the roster period switches and you can pick up a replacement off the wire anytime. You do not have to wait til the next period to do so. You miss all of 4 games on avg and every owner in the league is subject to the same situation when they lose a player during a week.. Again, those 4 days on avg that Bellhorm will give you gong to mean that much in that light?

And weekly leagues are as wire intensive as any other league. Just because the next scoring period does not start til next week does not mean you are not looking for a pickup during the week. People are on all the time.

I find that those who strongly like daily usually do so because they are not satisfied unless they make a few moves a day even if they are meaningless position switches and nonsensical 1 day pickups. It makes them feel like they are doing something. Otherwise, it is much ado about nothing, imo.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby tmoney » Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:22 pm

Big Game JLo wrote:
SouthBronxBombers wrote:I like the weekly leagues. You don't have... 20 starting pitchers take the mound for your team. It takes more strategy... and actually lets you win with the team you drafted, not just whoever is on the waiver wire each week.

The way to get the best of both worlds is to put a cap on the number of FA transactions you can have. Our league is set to 40 maximum moves. It allows enough to grab "hot" players, but not enough to start "20 pitchers" per week. This makes you rely upon your drafted players more, while allowing you to substitute according to matchups midweek.

Or you could easily just set an innings pitched limit so the people who continally add spot starters get screwed in the long run. But, I am all for weekly lineups. It seems to keep owners more active in the league, and it gives me something to think about at 4:00 in the morning. ;-D
tmoney
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Big Game JLo » Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:26 pm

Missing 4 days in a H2H league can be the difference between a couple of losses versus a couple of wins. In the long haul, yes you can miss the playoffs because of it. By only doing a weekly lineup, you basically miss out on the whole purpose of H2H:

When it comes down to Sunday. As a manager, you may be losing by 7 HR's in one category. However, you may also be losing by 1 SB in the other category. As a manager, you will be able to make decisions to help you win (ie: replacing that slugger with a fast base stealer - to at least give yourself a better chance at taking that category). THAT to me is exciting.

If you played in a weekly league, you are stuck. You will end up losing because you are not allowed to manage your team.
Big Game JLo
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby bd3521 » Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:34 pm

If the league is just h2h points based its a little different though
[url]http://www.footballguys.com/05vbdrevisited.htm[/url]
bd3521
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby TheYanks04 » Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:34 pm

H2h is not Roto.

And H2h is so much luck to start off with, what difference does it make? Get JD Drew for week 1 or someone gets hurt and whacks you...all luck. Start RJ when he gets lit up...pick Vazuez when he doesn't...it works the same for your opponent and if the breaks go against you and you lose a top player you are screwed anyway. And if the other guy loses a top player you catch a break. I fail to see what the difference is outside of some emotional desire to have to make a few transactions day to day. To each his own.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby tmoney » Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:37 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:H2h is not Roto.

And H2h is so much luck to start off with, what difference does it make? Get JD Drew for week 1 or someone gets hurt and whacks you...all luck. Start RJ when he gets lit up...pick Vazuez when he doesn't...it works the same for your opponent and if the breaks go against you and you lose a top player you are screwed anyway. And if the other guy loses a top player you catch a break. I fail to see what the difference is outside of some emotional desire to have to make a few transactions day to day. To each his own.

You are on fire tonight. I am enjoying this. :-D
tmoney
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Big Game JLo » Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:46 pm

I suppose that is where the discrepancy lies.

I abhor Roto. It most ALWAYS gets to the point where in the last 3-4 weeks of the season, the winner is determined. Like in real sports, as long as you make the playoffs, you have an opportunity to take home the trophy (ie: 2003 Florida Marlins). That is why I prefer H2H. And that is why I prefer daily changes.
Big Game JLo
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby tmoney » Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:56 pm

Big Game JLo wrote:I suppose that is where the discrepancy lies.

I abhor Roto. It most ALWAYS gets to the point where in the last 3-4 weeks of the season, the winner is determined. Like in real sports, as long as you make the playoffs, you have an opportunity to take home the trophy (ie: 2003 Florida Marlins). That is why I prefer H2H. And that is why I prefer daily changes.

And thats why I bought a Saturn.
tmoney
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby AcidRock23 » Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:16 pm

I like daily and H2H.

The main league I play in is friends and it's much livlier for trash talking and abuse. Most of the guys watch all the moves pretty closely and don't hesitate to point out inevitable screwups that guys who twiddle their lineups incessantly make. Baseball simulationwise, it's sort of a toss up and there are pros and cons for both but I like having to adjust things on a daily basis and don't mind blowing a week when I'm out of town here and there. I don't actually make that many moves but always have a few later pick kind of guys who it is amusing to move around.

I wish I was mathematically rigorous enough to prove that one way is more or less fun/ scientific than another but, w/ a 12 or 14 team league, everybody's got the same issues w/ a few scrubs and I think that you can tweak them to push your numbers a bit in the right direction.
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby bleach168 » Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:02 pm

Just play wht you like. No need to justify why your way is better. I totally despise h2h but some people love it. Good for them!
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 16)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers