Daily Lineup -- too much stress! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Daily Lineup -- too much stress!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Daily Lineup -- too much stress!

Postby Grouperman941 » Mon Apr 11, 2005 4:20 pm

I have been playing FB for years in the same league with weekly line-ups. Tough to figure out who to play some weeks, but usually easy enough to make the right call over a 7-day period.

This year, I'm in a Cafe league with daily changes. Man do I suck at it. I have no solid 3b, so I'm going with Boone and Ensberg. The one I bench hits and the one I play sucks. Several times in a row now. I might need to just pick one of them and play him for better or worse (and with these two, it's mostly worse).

That is just my worst example. My OFs are driving me crazy, too, as I try and rotate my third guy(s) and U based on matchups.

Just had to get that off my chest. Maybe I just have too much time on my hands to think about it. :-)

I am interested in other opinions of daily vs weekly roto.
Grouperman941
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby pomplona's finest » Mon Apr 11, 2005 4:26 pm

Yeah, it sucks when that happens, but...

I prefer daily a lot more, it keeps me more invovled and allows one to implement strategies not possible with weekly to changes. I like playing the day to day matchups and spot starting at times. Truthfully, I've never tried a weekly league, but I know that it just wouldn't feel right to keep the same guys in the whole week.
[URL=http://www.imageshack.us]Image[/URL]

AKA IRON CHEF

Member #5 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
pomplona's finest
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby SouthBronxBombers » Mon Apr 11, 2005 5:14 pm

I like the weekly leagues. I like to have it as close to real baseball as you can, and to me that does it. You don't have the constant churning of the ww on days off or having 20 starting pitchers take the mound for your team. It takes more strategy in my opinion for weekly leagues and actually lets you win with the team you drafted, not just whoever is on the waiver wire each week.
SouthBronxBombers
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby jbones733 » Mon Apr 11, 2005 5:47 pm

it is tough & it does suck, thats why i try to carry a short bench to reduce the decisions, lol

i also go crazy w splits, if a lefty pitching, a righty how the hitter fares in what ballpark, etc, etc, it helps out

also try to get some rockies cause its easy then, PLAY EM ONLY IN COORS !!!! :-D
jbones733
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby beltrans_boy » Mon Apr 11, 2005 6:27 pm

I have the same problem. On any given day, I can only play 4 of the following, meaning I have to bench 3 of these guys:

Rolen
Huff
Casey
Morneau
Dunn
Wright
Konerko

Obviously, Rolen is a must start, and so is Huff and Dunn...Konerko has to be starting right now with the way he's hitting...but out of those, only Konerko is hitting well at all. In the mean time, David Wright, Justin Morneau and Sean Casey are wasting away on my bench, putting up very good numbers.

I'm thinking about benching Rolen for a couple of games this week in favor of Wright until I see some signs of a lively bat. Watch Rolen go 4/5 with 7 RBI.

:~(
[size=10]"Men are apt to mistake the strength of their feeling for the strength of their argument." [/size]
beltrans_boy
General Manager
General Manager

Postby TheYanks04 » Mon Apr 11, 2005 6:45 pm

IMO, do not try to over think. Play what you consider your best lineup everyday and do not try to time the market so to speak. Your better players will put up the better numbers over the long haul. Now obviously a little common sense needs to apply in that if someone has a day off you need to rotate them out and if someone is ice-cold for an exteneded period you may need to put his sub in for awhile.

As to good hitters wasting away on the bench, that is a good thing as it means you have offense to spare and can make a deal (or at least try).
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Big Game JLo » Mon Apr 11, 2005 6:46 pm

SouthBronxBombers wrote:I like the weekly leagues. You don't have... 20 starting pitchers take the mound for your team. It takes more strategy... and actually lets you win with the team you drafted, not just whoever is on the waiver wire each week.

The way to get the best of both worlds is to put a cap on the number of FA transactions you can have. Our league is set to 40 maximum moves. It allows enough to grab "hot" players, but not enough to start "20 pitchers" per week. This makes you rely upon your drafted players more, while allowing you to substitute according to matchups midweek.
Big Game JLo
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby TheYanks04 » Mon Apr 11, 2005 6:56 pm

In all reality, there is no real justification for daily lineups. It is a weekly lineup, not weekly transactions. You can pick up anyone at anytime in weekly leagues. They just do not play until the next period. What is the justification for daily lineups....

...to let you get Bengie Molina in for 4 ABs while Irod rests on Sunday?
...To let you add and drop pitchers indescriminately?

Weekly forces you to play your best lineup without roster churning or nonsensical moves real teams will not do (like signing up a player for only 1 game). Off days are off days as all players play 162 game seasons and you do not need to run up that total as it is the same for all owners in the league. Injuries can happen anytime and will screw everyone the same whether they be on Monday or Friday. I can pick up a free agent the same as in a daily league. What exactly is the problem? I play both and do not see any siginifcant value added to the fantasy game by daily lineups.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Big Game JLo » Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:04 pm

I see a significant value in daily over weekly. Weekly is extremely boring. Set your lineup and come back next week. Helpless to make ANY changes as you see fit.

Daily changes ARE more like baseball (being that you are trying to reason that way). Is a team REALLY going to play without a 2B if he gets hurt? Of course not! Being able to sub in a player (obviously a lesser player) is exactly like MLB. Plus it keeps you involved and interested.

Weekly forces you to play your best lineup without roster churning or nonsensical moves...

Putting a cap on your league (as I mentioned earlier) eliminates this and still allows you to MANAGE your team throughout the week.
Big Game JLo
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby bd3521 » Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:15 pm

Weekly ;-D
[url]http://www.footballguys.com/05vbdrevisited.htm[/url]
bd3521
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next