John Kruk made Morneau's head hurt... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

John Kruk made Morneau's head hurt...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

John Kruk made Morneau's head hurt...

Postby matdemos » Mon Apr 11, 2005 1:10 pm

....or something like that:

Rotoworld says:
Justin Morneau continues to suffer from headaches and dizziness, so he will see a neurologist this week.
Morneau is still feeling the impact of being hit in the head by a pitch Wednesday in Seattle. ''It's kind of foggy, like there's pressure in my head,'' Morneau said. ''When my heart starts beating, it starts to thump and gets sharper.'' If Morneau needs a stint on the disabled list, the Twins would call up Terry Tiffee from Triple-A. Apr. 11 - 8:42 am et
Source: Minneapolis Star-Tribune

:-[ As a fantasy hockey vet, this kind of news makes me positively queasy (can anyone say Jason Allison?...). Clearly, one does not have to take repeated blows to the body (and head) in baseball, but post-concussion syndrome has a way of wrecking seasons, and sometimes, careers. I've got Morneau on one of teams and I'm.....well, looking like this guy --> :-o
matdemos
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Hockey

Re: John Kruk made Morneau's head hurt...

Postby Mookie4ever » Mon Apr 11, 2005 1:14 pm

matdemos wrote:....or something like that:

Rotoworld says:
Justin Morneau continues to suffer from headaches and dizziness, so he will see a neurologist this week.
Morneau is still feeling the impact of being hit in the head by a pitch Wednesday in Seattle. ''It's kind of foggy, like there's pressure in my head,'' Morneau said. ''When my heart starts beating, it starts to thump and gets sharper.'' If Morneau needs a stint on the disabled list, the Twins would call up Terry Tiffee from Triple-A. Apr. 11 - 8:42 am et
Source: Minneapolis Star-Tribune

:-[ As a fantasy hockey vet, this kind of news makes me positively queasy (can anyone say Jason Allison?...). Clearly, one does not have to take repeated blows to the body (and head) in baseball, but post-concussion syndrome has a way of wrecking seasons, and sometimes, careers. I've got Morneau on one of teams and I'm.....well, looking like this guy --> :-o

Allison is a completely different story.

Morneau actually came back to the ballpark after his CAT Scan and was on the bench for the rest of the game. Allison couldn't get out of bed for weeks and was basically incapacitated for a year.

The headaches and dizziness are a bad sign but the fact that he was good enough to come back to the park and sit on the bench for the rest of the game is a very good sign.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 277)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: John Kruk made Morneau's head hurt...

Postby matdemos » Mon Apr 11, 2005 1:23 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:Allison is a completely different story.

Morneau actually came back to the ballpark after his CAT Scan and was on the bench for the rest of the game. Allison couldn't get out of bed for weeks and was basically incapacitated for a year.

The headaches and dizziness are a bad sign but the fact that he was good enough to come back to the park and sit on the bench for the rest of the game is a very good sign.

Ya, no doubt, the severity of their concussions was very different. I only brought up Allison as an example of how PCS cases have a tendency to defy projected return dates. Allison was only laid up in bed after he overexerted himself trying to get back for the start of the '03-'04 season, I believe. "Dizziness" and "fogginess" five days after the injury is certainly disconcerting, though inconclusive...
matdemos
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Hockey

Postby Joe Mauer » Mon Apr 11, 2005 1:33 pm

It also should be noted Morneau is from Canada and played hockey growing up......where he had 4 concussions. So, look at this how you might look at a QB who gets his fifth concussion. Not good.

However, he should be fine but might be a bit "shy" at the plate in the future to avoid concussion number 6.

OUCH!

Pierz,Castro,Tulo,Espinosa,Gyorko,Goldschmidt,Encarna,Howard,Carter,Cespedes,Marte,Soriano,Brown,Ludwick,Smoak
Strasbg,King F,Harvey,Scherzer,Teheran,Street,Jansen,Hernandez
BA 5,HR 9.5,R 4,RBI 6,SB 2,ERA 12,H+S 8,K 11,W 7.5,WHIP 11,TOT 76 pt 3rd
Joe Mauer
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 2)
Location: Standing outside the Metrodome singing "We're going to win Twins, We're going to score...."

Postby wrveres » Mon Apr 11, 2005 6:41 pm

Joe Mauer wrote:It also should be noted Morneau is from Canada and played hockey growing up......where he had 4 concussions. So, look at this how you might look at a QB who gets his fifth concussion. Not good.

However, he should be fine but might be a bit "shy" at the plate in the future to avoid concussion number 6.

OUCH!

interesting. :-o
I didn't know that about his hockey days.
thanks.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 692)

Postby moochman » Mon Apr 11, 2005 6:54 pm

wrveres wrote:
Joe Mauer wrote:It also should be noted Morneau is from Canada and played hockey growing up......where he had 4 concussions. So, look at this how you might look at a QB who gets his fifth concussion. Not good.

OUCH!

interesting. :-o
I didn't know that about his hockey days.
thanks.

I'm not sure that Morneau knows about his hockey days either :*)
Pretty disturbing news for a guy the Twins were counting on in the clean up spot.
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Mookie4ever » Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:50 pm

This guy has the worst luck. I think that he had appedicitis and had to have his appendix out over the offseason. Then he got a bad case of pneumonia, then he got an infection from the pneumonia. Then he got a cyst on his appendectomy scar. In an interview on opening day he said that he was at about 70%. Now this happens. This guy is snake-bitten.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 277)

Postby tmoney » Mon Apr 11, 2005 11:55 pm

So what does this do to Morneau's trade value? Does anyone think now is a good time to trade for him since his value is probably down? I am thinking of trying to trade Bagwell for Morneau, but I am a little worried about how long it will be until Morneau comes back and how he will play when he comes back. Thoughts?
tmoney
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby afromangettindrunk » Mon Apr 11, 2005 11:58 pm

what does this have to do with john kruk? am i retarded or what? :-?
afromangettindrunk
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Freebird27 » Tue Apr 12, 2005 1:59 am

afromangettindrunk wrote:what does this have to do with john kruk? am i retarded or what? :-?

ROTFL! 8-o
Freebird27
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Baseball Leftovers