beckett still a risk? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

beckett still a risk?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

beckett still a risk?

Postby chung8 » Mon Apr 11, 2005 1:04 pm

how much of a risk do you still think beckett is? do you think that his blisters will come back AGAIN? and should beckett owners sell him high? or stick with him?
chung8
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Amazinz » Mon Apr 11, 2005 1:07 pm

Beckett has that every other year thing going on with his blisters so if that trend continues he should be fine. I'm sticking with him.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bd3521 » Mon Apr 11, 2005 1:10 pm

I would stick with him. That kind of stuff is hard to predict and who knows he could make it through the season.
[url]http://www.footballguys.com/05vbdrevisited.htm[/url]
bd3521
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby slomo007 » Mon Apr 11, 2005 1:12 pm

Amazinz wrote:Beckett has that every other year thing going on with his blisters so if that trend continues he should be fine. I'm sticking with him.

Are you seriously basing it on that? Why would the blisters occur every other year? That seems pretty optimistic to me...there is no logical reason I can think of to say that they have a lesser likelihood of returning one year over the next. Unless he found a solution to them, in which case he'll likely be fine from here on out. Either way, looking at the every other year trend seems like an odd way to look at it unless you have some information I don't.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Amazinz » Mon Apr 11, 2005 1:16 pm

slomo007 wrote:
Amazinz wrote:Beckett has that every other year thing going on with his blisters so if that trend continues he should be fine. I'm sticking with him.

Are you seriously basing it on that? Why would the blisters occur every other year? That seems pretty optimistic to me...there is no logical reason I can think of to say that they have a lesser likelihood of returning one year over the next. Unless he found a solution to them, in which case he'll likely be fine from here on out. Either way, looking at the every other year trend seems like an odd way to look at it unless you have some information I don't.

No, I'm not holding onto him because of the trend. I'm sticking with him because he looks great and his upside outweighs the value I could receive in a trade. But the blister trend is interesting to note because knowing is half the battle. O:-)
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby donny23 » Mon Apr 11, 2005 1:19 pm

Most guys who avoided him in the draft because of the blisters probably won't bump up his value now. No use trading him because you probably won't get equal value compared to where you took him in the draft. If someone comes to you with an offer you can't refuse, go for it. Just don't be the one to be doing the offering. It's very transparent.
donny23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby slomo007 » Mon Apr 11, 2005 1:21 pm

Amazinz wrote:
slomo007 wrote:

No, I'm not holding onto him because of the trend. I'm sticking with him because he looks great and his upside outweighs the value I could receive in a trade. But the blister trend is interesting to note because knowing is half the battle. O:-)

I think that after his next few starts, which will likely be lights out...he'll suddenly be on the tier of Schmidt/Santana around here. I mean already we have a thread comparing Sheets to Beckett, and many chose Beckett (and these are Cafe members who actually know about Beckett's injury history). With each solid start, more and more people become believers. I agree with holding on to him for now, but I would probably be looking to deal him after a few more good starts. If I could land Jason Schmidt or anyone else on that pitching level...I'd pull the trade in a heartbeat.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby John Bonzo » Mon Apr 11, 2005 1:24 pm

Actually, i think Beckett has had the blisters every year, not every other year. 2 good starts does not make Beckett any less of a risk for blisters this year. However, i do think that he is as determined as any pitcher this year to have a good full season.
John Bonzo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby mikegp » Mon Apr 11, 2005 1:29 pm

Any player has some kind of risk involved when you draft them. Granted Beckett has a bit more risk invovled, but his potential is amazing. I got in him the 5th round(i think) in a keeper league and I think that is an amazing place to get him. Even with all the time he missed last year, his numbers were probably a bit better than average for starting pitchers. Beckett is someone you have to take a chance on because eventually he will stay healthy and become a top 5 starting pitcher and considering how late he is going that is an amazing deal. There is no way to predict if a player will stay healthy or not, so you can either play it safe and get players that usually don't get injured or you can go for the guys who have amazing potential but haven't put it together because of injuries. This year will be the year for Beckett because he is more mature and having Leiter(a pitcher with past blister problems) on his team will help a lot.
Last edited by mikegp on Mon Apr 11, 2005 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mikegp
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby donny23 » Mon Apr 11, 2005 1:31 pm

slomo007 wrote:
Amazinz wrote:
slomo007 wrote:

I think that after his next few starts, which will likely be lights out...he'll suddenly be on the tier of Schmidt/Santana around here. I mean already we have a thread comparing Sheets to Beckett, and many chose Beckett (and these are Cafe members who actually know about Beckett's injury history). With each solid start, more and more people become believers. I agree with holding on to him for now, but I would probably be looking to deal him after a few more good starts. If I could land Jason Schmidt or anyone else on that pitching level...I'd pull the trade in a heartbeat.

Agreed. Couldn't have said it better myself.
donny23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers