Which struggling SPs are worth trading for? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Which struggling SPs are worth trading for?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Which struggling SPs are worth trading for?

Postby ramble2 » Mon May 12, 2003 2:57 pm

Lets hear some opinions on this. What starters have struggled thus far that are worth trying to trade for. I'm thinking of guys whose trade value is low right now and could be gotten relatively cheap.

Here are a couple to get people started:

Halladay. Maybe this is a no-brainer, and his trade value may have risen after his most recent start. But his early struggles are misleading, and he should return to form and put up solid numbers.

Miller. People have injury worries over Miller. I still have faith.

I'm not sure what to think of Derek Lowe. I was amazed at what he did last year, but was skeptical he'd be able to repeat it. But I didn't think he'd struggle this much. I'm not sure I'd want him on my squad, but you could probably get him on the cheap at the moment.
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jdh » Mon May 12, 2003 3:37 pm

Halladay will probably be fine, given his difficult early schedule, but I still am not sold that he will be anywhere near last year's numbers. Probably expect 15 wins and a 4.00 ERA from him. I would not go for Lowe because he has no previous history of success as a starter and apparently much of his performance last year was luck from facing weaker teams and being further back in the rotation allowing him to face weaker pitchers. I don't think he is much better than a 4.50 ERA pitcher.

Miller is probably the most attractive option to trade for. Last year, his start was pretty similar to what it was this year. He should be dynamite come July and August. I wouldn't worry too much about the line drive hit, because it just bruised his thigh and they might even let him start tomorrow on two days rest because he only threw 15 pitches Saturday.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Nomar4prez » Mon May 12, 2003 5:41 pm

Lowe's last game was not as bad as it looked. For the most part, he was keeping his pitches low, but hitters were just finding gaps...it happens to everyone. The fact that Lowe's season last year was good b/c of easy starts is simply ridiculous. He faced the Yankees 4 times and dominated them each time. Saying that, he won't do near as good as he did last year. So far, at home, he's unhittable. If you do trade for him, begin starting him only at home until he regains his form.
Nomar4prez
General Manager
General Manager

Return to Baseball Leftovers