My first week of Fantasy baseball...ever - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

My first week of Fantasy baseball...ever

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

My first week of Fantasy baseball...ever

Postby YardBirds » Mon Apr 11, 2005 1:52 am

Ok, so i admit I bit on a few things that may come back to haunt me... from the draft till now...

I started out with a strong draft, except I failed to land an ace closer... so i got BJ Ryan and Brandon Lyon. Throughout this first week my batting average has been meeger, so I went to the wire picking up Cantu, Barmes, and DaMeatHook... I have started Dmitri and Cantu and benched Drew and Castillo... moving Dunn to OF... my line up today got a better batting average but I think I bit to early on the hot bats

Any advice for a first timer? Strategy when playing... my pitching is lights out recording 5 wins, 2 saves, 61 ks, 3.37 ERA, 1.37 Whip. with Sheets, Zambrano, Halladay, Thomson, Arroyo, Rincon, Otsuka, Gordon, BJ Ryan, Lyon... but I have been very light on HR and batting average... do u guys have advice for a first timer... should i just settle in with this line up and wait a few weeks and see or should I continue to surf the wire trying to pick up the hot bats, or should I try trading ?

Sorry if this is the wrong forum, but I didnt know where else to put this advice post.
YardBirds
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DominicanLou » Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:15 am

I would recommend not making as many roster moves as you are currently making. You can't just bench a guy because he is doing poorly, and you can't just pick someone up because they are raking the ball. You did well this week, but more often than not it will come back to bite you in the rear. Drew and Castillo should be in your lineup. Baseball is a game of statistics, and statistics tell you that there is no way that Drew will go hitless on the year. He actually will probably go on a tear pretty soon and rebound close to what his career average is, and you want him in your lineup when he does that. ;-D
DominicanLou
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby YardBirds » Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:21 am

So you think I should stick with:
Kendall
Dunn
Castillo
Rolen
Tejada
Drew
Edmonds
Lee
----
Biggio
Cantu
Young
Crisp

Another Question, when Biggio get his 2nd base eligibility should I play him rather than Castillo... also who would u recommend I play utility... should I go with hot batted Cantu, high average raker Young, or Crisp ? Do i just swap out Biggio with Castillo when Houston isnt playing? I know these are probably dumb questions, but I just see so much possiblity, but I dont know how to cram it all in
YardBirds
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Re: My first week of Fantasy baseball...ever

Postby Madison » Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:31 am

YardBirds wrote: my pitching is lights out recording 5 wins, 2 saves, 61 ks, 3.37 ERA, 1.37 Whip.

Just as a tip, that's not lights out. 2 saves? 1.37 whip? Those two are losing numbers, not winning numbers. 5 wins, 61 K's, and the 3.37 era are very nice ;-D , but you won't win saves and whip with those numbers every week.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Phatferd » Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:37 am

If thats Michael Young he should be your Util everyday he has a game. Without Question.
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby YardBirds » Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:38 am

Im in the process of trading Halladay for Nathan right now... because my only closers are Lyon and Ryan... then I will just go pick up Harang or Myers and be fine... thanks for the advice... Just have to try and figure out the best line up which is tough.

Do u guys think that Cantu or Young will fizzle out or do you think they stay on this roller coaster ride?

Or should they be bench players rotated in?
YardBirds
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby YardBirds » Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:41 am

Its Dmitri... i am not that dumb to bench Michael Young...

My first week free agents have been Dmitri, Cantu, Biggio... I bit on Young and Cantu, but think Biggio will be a strong 2B and will be my daily player, with Cantu on the bench unless he keeps this sick stats up...When Drew starts hitting, Dunn will go back to first
YardBirds
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Fletch » Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:38 am

That's not a lights out pitching week. This is;
2.39 ERA
1.08 WHIP
58 K's
10 WINS
5 SAVES
I admit I was lucky and this is probably the best week I will have all year. I scored 49 out of a possible 50 points and feel quite lucky. Some of the wins came from blown saves. This is a money league and fairly competitive. My hitters did well too with a score of 39. So that's 88 out of a possible 100. It's probably all down hill after this, LOL.
Fletch
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Location: Somewhere on the bleachers watching my son play ball.

Postby AcidRock23 » Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:51 am

Fletch wrote:That's not a lights out pitching week. This is;
2.39 ERA
1.08 WHIP
58 K's
10 WINS
5 SAVES
I admit I was lucky and this is probably the best week I will have all year. I scored 49 out of a possible 50 points and feel quite lucky. Some of the wins came from blown saves. This is a money league and fairly competitive. My hitters did well too with a score of 39. So that's 88 out of a possible 100. It's probably all down hill after this, LOL.

8-o That is a nice week!! I managed 78 K though, w/ Santana, CZam, Beckett, Bonderman AND Lieber (who I benched vs. the 'mighty' [sic] Cards yesterday). Only 7 W though and 2 saves.)

I am inclined to agree w/ the 'don't make so many roster moves' and the notion of 'if he's slumping now, he'll be > projected when he heats up'. It CAN be very nerve wracking waiting for the slumps to end but, when they do, it's usually w/ a bang (or two...or even 3 or 4!!).

I'd keep Castillo in my lineup over Biggio though. I avoided Biggio but, if you get him and he gets hot, other guys will be looking at slumping 2B (eg Soriano who's slumps are MORE famous than his tears!!) and those are the guys you want to pimp Biggio to.
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby CPHFighter1 » Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:02 am

You're doing great for your first week. Biggio should be your regular second baseman after eligibility. Cantu will probably cool off. I see Young having another good year. You've got Tejada, who is reliable and never gets hurt, so you could probably deal Young for a starter to (try to) replace Halladay. Look for someone with a lower quality shortstop.
CPHFighter1
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Baseball Leftovers