John Kruk makes my head hurt - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

John Kruk makes my head hurt

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby BrettCB » Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:09 am

I just don't agree... The hand eye coordination that is required to play baseball is just unmatched by golf. At the Major League level you have to do more than just stand in the batters box and swing, you have to use your head and anticipate the count and what pitch is going to come at you next. If I were to play a professional baseball game tomorrow I can say that I wouldn't get a hit. However, if i were to go and play in the Masters tomorrow I can guarantee that I atleast put the ball in play, whether it be a good shot or not.

I agree, at the simpest levels, the sports can be compared, but at professional levels I just can't see golf being placed on the same level as Baseball... no contest.
BrettCB
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:27 am

8-o

I can't believe there's actually a rational conversation about which sport is harder out of golf and baseball. 8-o

I know quite a few people who can shoot par on a golf course, but I doubt I know anyone who could hit the league average in baseball. Is golf difficult? Yes, but not as difficult as baseball. B-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby LBJackal » Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:44 am

Well it depends what you mean by harder. Harder to do with great success, or harder to do with no training at all and for leisure? Anybody can play in a little league game, does that make baseball easy? Anybody can hit a golf ball off of a tee, does that make it easy?

If you're saying it's hard to hit a 90 MPH slider with movement, well it's also hard to beat Tiger at the Masters. I'd say much, much harder. How many have beaten Tiger at the Masters? Maybe 5 people or around there. How many people have hit a 90 MPH slider with movement? Thousands probably. Just because the ball is set on a tee doesn't mean it's an easy game. And I'm not saying beating Tiger Woods is the benchmark for being good at golf, I'm using it as a ridiculous example to counter somebody else's ridiculous example.

I know this is a baseball board so most people will say baseball is harder but you have to define what you mean by hard before you can make an argument for it. In which sport is it harder to make contact with the ball? Baseball. In which sport is it harder to earn $5M? Golf. In which sport is it harder to turn pro? Golf. There are many, many ways to look at it.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby DominicanLou » Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:50 am

If I had a son and from a young age I knew he had to make a living either playing baseball or playing golf, I would surely make him play golf. The chance for success is much higher in golf. It is much more difficult to be a major league caliber baseball player.
DominicanLou
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby quietstorm » Mon Apr 11, 2005 3:02 am

DominicanLou wrote:If I had a son and from a young age I knew he had to make a living either playing baseball or playing golf, I would surely make him play golf. The chance for success is much higher in golf. It is much more difficult to be a major league caliber baseball player.

Let's see... 25 players per major league team, during the regular season... 30 teams... 750 MLB players, and six times that many minor leaguers, at least (six minor league teams per MLB team).

There are... what... 140 players with TOUR cards? And there's no minimum salary. Some of them are making $70,000 per year, without benefits. That's the salary of an upper-middle class family. I'm sure a lot of people around here make more than that.

Now, how many kids are playing golf? Probably not as many as baseball. But, even if the amount playing golf is only 1/4 that of baseball, it's still a better chance to become an MLB player, statistically, than a PGA golfer.

[Edit: Looks like about 260 players managed to play in TOUR events last year. Approximately 180 made more than the MLB minimum salary. Compare 260, though, to the over 2500 players who play in MLB and the top three levels of the minors (high-A, AA, and AAA).

For baseball to be easier to succeed it, the amount of kids playing golf would have to be less than 10.5% that of those playing baseball.]
Last edited by quietstorm on Mon Apr 11, 2005 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Your wisemen don't know how it feels to be thick as a brick...
quietstorm
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby LBJackal » Mon Apr 11, 2005 3:09 am

Last year there were 831 MLB players making at least $300K. The average salary was $2.5M. Only 167 PGA Golfers made $300K last year with an average of $1.3M.

It still comes down to how you define "hard". I'd say it's a lot harder to become an elite golfer than an elite baseball player. Just because golf isn't a physically demanding doesn't make it easy. It's like people will think they're wimps if they say golf is hard.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby quietstorm » Mon Apr 11, 2005 3:18 am

Jackal, check out my edit. Without knowing exact numbers on how many people reach high-A or above in any given year, I'm guess it's around 2800. Just using baseline stats of 25 players/team in the majors and 20/team in the top three levels of the minors, that's 2550 players.
Your wisemen don't know how it feels to be thick as a brick...
quietstorm
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby CubsFan7724 » Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:04 am

Golf at the elite level is harder to succeed at than baseball. There are far more major leaguers than professional golf players. Wonder why? Especially at the pro level, you need to have aim, power, good judgement, right club selection, etc. And then reading greens for putts and such. It is a very difficult game.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby RC » Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:27 am

I've always found golf more difficult.

A lot depends on how young you learned a skill/sport. I started golfing seriously around 17/18 years old. Started baseball very yound, so it comes much easier to me.

Still, I believe you need to practice golf everyday (or close to it) to be exceptional and with Baseball it's generally the same, so it's difficult to say what's tougher.

This is like the 'My dad is stronger than your dad' debate. All sports are generally equal in my opinion. It's all relative.

RC
Like my Avatar?
RC
College Coach
College Coach

Postby thehat » Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:01 am

This is a pretty dumb (but fun) argument. Like any of us have even a remote clue as to how tough it must be to be at the elite level of any sport.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers