X. Naday??? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

X. Naday???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby davidmarver » Fri Apr 15, 2005 2:40 am

Members Only Jackets wrote:
Fmkraw wrote:Nady is the real deal! remember that a lot of guys in MLB come out of seemingly nowhere. How many of us knew who Albert Pujols was when he busted on the scene?

I just added him to my roster w/ the 3rd "DL Priority" in my Dynasty league...and I'm very happy!

BTW, I bet you guys in SD didn't think Drew Brees was "franchise QB Material" last August...right?

Actually, I've been a huge Brees fan since we drafted him and have been a big Nady fan as well since he's been on the radar. It's WRveres who needs the convincing.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby MakeYouRunHome » Fri Apr 15, 2005 2:49 pm

If Nady can play the whole year and get 500+ ab's....what do yall project him at? 25-90?
MakeYouRunHome
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Yoda » Fri Apr 15, 2005 3:42 pm

I live in SD and I agree with wrveres for the most part. However, Burroughs will be splitting time with Blum not Nady. I seriously doubt that they will put Nady at 3B. If anything, Nady will get 500 AB playing CF (since Roberts is a platoon player anyway and better used as a pinch runner in close games) and give Nevin, Klesko (against lefties) and Giles a break in OF and 1B.

Also, Towers elected to trade Bay to the Bucs instead of Nady so I seriously doubt that Nady is on the block. I've heard some Burroughs rumors and while trading Klesko, the complaining bitch, would be the most logical thing to do, I don't think that he has much trade value at this point.

Back to Nady... He's hammering the ball so far but remember that it's only 1 1/2 week into the season and he hit very well at Coors. I think he will be a solid player but I seriously doubt he will hit 30 HR playing at Petco this year. 06 might be a different story with a full season under his belt.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby KolbSaves » Tue Jun 28, 2005 2:28 pm

Yoda wrote:I live in SD and I agree with wrveres for the most part. However, Burroughs will be splitting time with Blum not Nady. I seriously doubt that they will put Nady at 3B. If anything, Nady will get 500 AB playing CF (since Roberts is a platoon player anyway and better used as a pinch runner in close games) and give Nevin, Klesko (against lefties) and Giles a break in OF and 1B.

Also, Towers elected to trade Bay to the Bucs instead of Nady so I seriously doubt that Nady is on the block. I've heard some Burroughs rumors and while trading Klesko, the complaining bitch, would be the most logical thing to do, I don't think that he has much trade value at this point.

Back to Nady... He's hammering the ball so far but remember that it's only 1 1/2 week into the season and he hit very well at Coors. I think he will be a solid player but I seriously doubt he will hit 30 HR playing at Petco this year. 06 might be a different story with a full season under his belt.

san diego union-tribune wrote:By Tom Krasovic
UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

June 28, 2005

LOS ANGELES – General Manager Kevin Towers doesn't write out the lineup. But Towers made it clear yesterday that he believes Xavier Nady could do an adequate job at third base, and that a blend of Nady and Sean Burroughs at third has exciting potential.

"It's probably not Nady's best position," Towers said. "Third is probably the most difficult because of the throwing, and it would be better if we could give it a whole winter there.

"But we've just got to try to find a way to keep Nady's bat in the lineup. When everybody is back healthy, third base could be a spot where X splits time with Burroughs."

Nady played third at Cal and impressed manager Bruce Bochy enough there in spring training that Bochy said Nady would have started at third on Opening Day had center fielder Dave Roberts stayed healthy.

But Nady's only steady playing time this year has come at center field and first base when regulars Roberts and Phil Nevin were hurt. Bochy said Roberts could return Friday; Nevin isn't eligible to return until July 6.

Bochy has said Nady isn't ready to handle third in the middle of a pennant race and is more able at first, which requires less throwing. In 2001, managers in the Single-A Cal League voted Nady the league's best defensive first baseman.
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."
-Isaac Newton
KolbSaves
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Yoda » Tue Jun 28, 2005 3:09 pm

KolbSaves wrote:
Yoda wrote:I live in SD and I agree with wrveres for the most part. However, Burroughs will be splitting time with Blum not Nady. I seriously doubt that they will put Nady at 3B. If anything, Nady will get 500 AB playing CF (since Roberts is a platoon player anyway and better used as a pinch runner in close games) and give Nevin, Klesko (against lefties) and Giles a break in OF and 1B.

san diego union-tribune wrote:By Tom Krasovic
UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

June 28, 2005

LOS ANGELES – General Manager Kevin Towers doesn't write out the lineup. But Towers made it clear yesterday that he believes Xavier Nady could do an adequate job at third base, and that a blend of Nady and Sean Burroughs at third has exciting potential.

"It's probably not Nady's best position," Towers said. "Third is probably the most difficult because of the throwing, and it would be better if we could give it a whole winter there.

"But we've just got to try to find a way to keep Nady's bat in the lineup. When everybody is back healthy, third base could be a spot where X splits time with Burroughs."

Nady played third at Cal and impressed manager Bruce Bochy enough there in spring training that Bochy said Nady would have started at third on Opening Day had center fielder Dave Roberts stayed healthy.

But Nady's only steady playing time this year has come at center field and first base when regulars Roberts and Phil Nevin were hurt. Bochy said Roberts could return Friday; Nevin isn't eligible to return until July 6.

Bochy has said Nady isn't ready to handle third in the middle of a pennant race and is more able at first, which requires less throwing. In 2001, managers in the Single-A Cal League voted Nady the league's best defensive first baseman.

So I was right. Nady won't be playing 3B this year.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby KolbSaves » Tue Jun 28, 2005 3:26 pm

Bochy seems to be saying that Nady isn't ready to play third this year, but might have to.

-Isaac Newton
KolbSaves
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Yoda » Tue Jun 28, 2005 3:36 pm

KolbSaves wrote:Bochy seems to be saying that Nady isn't ready to play third this year, but might have to.

1. Nady has exactly 0 games played at 3B and the season is nearly half way over.
2. Nady has played 0 games at 3B since his college days.
3. Bochy said he 'could' split time at 3B when everyone is back. Doesn't say he will or there is a good chance that he will play 3B.
4. The last paragraph of the article reads "Bochy has said Nady isn't ready to handle third in the middle of a pennant race and is more able at first, which requires less throwing."

So what is your point again?
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby KolbSaves » Tue Jun 28, 2005 4:19 pm

My point is that it is more likely than you think it was for Nady to play third.
-Isaac Newton
KolbSaves
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Yoda » Tue Jun 28, 2005 4:28 pm

KolbSaves wrote:My point is that it is more likely than you think it was for Nady to play third.

OK whatever. Seems like such a stupid thing to bring up to try and prove someone wrong. Not like you proved me wrong anyway but hey, whatever floats your boat. :-D
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Jun 28, 2005 4:31 pm

Yoda wrote:
KolbSaves wrote:My point is that it is more likely than you think it was for Nady to play third.

OK whatever. Seems like such a stupid thing to bring up to try and prove someone wrong. Not like you proved me wrong anyway but hey, whatever floats your boat. :-D

To play a bit of Devil's Advocate, "seems like such a stupid thing to bring up to try and prove someone wrong. Not like you proved him wrong anyway but hey, whatever floats your boat. :-D"

Looks like a bit of the pot calling the kettle black. Basically, he feels Nady has a greater shot at playing 3B than you're giving him. You think he has less of a shot than he does. That's it. It's all a matter of what you feel the team is thinking and what their plan is. None of us have an inking of an actual clue, so all we can do is speculate. No need to discredit people for their views on the matter.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 377)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers