X. Naday??? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

X. Naday???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby slomo007 » Mon Apr 11, 2005 6:34 pm

wrveres wrote:
slomo007 wrote:wr, obviously you are a Burroughs fan...but aren't you ultimately a Padres fan that wants a better lineup? I would personally hope that Nady continues playing well and supplants Burroughs at 3rd.

sure I do ...
But Putting Nady in place of Burroughs will not make the Padres better. Putting Nady in place of Klesko will.

Seans Job is safe. ;-D
Well he get "days of rest" at 3B sure, and Nady may even be the guy that "rests" him. But he is not going to "replace" him at the position.

I agree there to be honest...Klesko is complete trash, or a platoon player at best.......but I don't think the Padres will make that move due to Klesko's name. So that leave 3b, and I think Nady is the far superior offensive player....but I've never seen him play defense so I'm not real sure. Your point is taken about Scott Boras though, I didn't realize he is Nady's agent.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby wrveres » Mon Apr 11, 2005 6:34 pm

you know what,
nevermind..

I'll agree to disagree ...

done!
go drink the koolaid
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 641)

Postby wrveres » Mon Apr 11, 2005 6:38 pm

slomo007 wrote:
wrveres wrote:
slomo007 wrote:wr, obviously you are a Burroughs fan...but aren't you ultimately a Padres fan that wants a better lineup? I would personally hope that Nady continues playing well and supplants Burroughs at 3rd.

sure I do ...
But Putting Nady in place of Burroughs will not make the Padres better. Putting Nady in place of Klesko will.

Seans Job is safe. ;-D
Well he get "days of rest" at 3B sure, and Nady may even be the guy that "rests" him. But he is not going to "replace" him at the position.

I agree there to be honest...Klesko is complete trash, or a platoon player at best.......but I don't think the Padres will make that move due to Klesko's name. So that leave 3b, and I think Nady is the far superior offensive player....but I've never seen him play defense so I'm not real sure. Your point is taken about Scott Boras though, I didn't realize he is Nady's agent.

Boras is the reason Nady was not signed when he was first drafted. The Padres took him the 2nd time around and still had to pay through the nose. Nady is probably the single biggest reason that Boras and Towers do not get along.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby slomo007 » Mon Apr 11, 2005 6:41 pm

Interesting bit of info, thanks. Goes to show how hated Boras is by owners. And it's also the same reason I wouldn't be surprised to see Teixeira traded sometime if Texas falls out of the race this year.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby AcidRock23 » Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:09 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:You guys sound like my 4 yrs old nephew fighting with my 5yr old neice. When are you going to start slapping each other :-D

LMAO!!

I am still kind of high on Nady...as a scrubby type of guy.

He's costing the Pads way below avg salary ($970K, according to thebaseballcube.com...) How do the Pads benefit by not playing him and getting him some 'practice' against live righties? Blalock and EChavez, among others, have progressed nicely in their challenges to hit lefties? I can't see how sitting a young guy, particularly to give Klesko some more time to figure out how to hit @ Petco, helps the team.

I can't quite see how Boras is helping Nady either, if he's 'only' making that much $$$$. I'd like to see Boras take a liner to the head instead of Pavano sometime. He's probably got a box though...
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby davidmarver » Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:59 pm

slomo007 wrote:
wrveres wrote:

sure I do ...

Seans Job is safe. ;-D

To call Klesko trash is ridiculous. He came off a shoulder injury last year and subsequently could not hit for power. So what did he do? He posted a .399 OBP, the highest in his career. This is a former all-star who, after an offseason of being able to lift, will return to .300, 20, 90. I'll take that anyday.

Now back to Nady/Burroughs. It's not that Towers dislikes Boras, it's that he doesn't like investing money in young players. The reason he passed on the higher calibur players wasn't because of Boras (Boras doesn't represent everyone), but because he was burnt in the past by paying a lot for a high draft pick (Tim Stauffer) only to find out he was damaged goods. Luckily, Stauffer has some character and offered to pay back his signing bonus. After surgery, Stauffer is now arguably the best pitching prospect in the Padres minor leagues (though I really like Brad Baker, who was acquired in the Alan Embree trade). Here's an exact quote from the Padres organization.

"The bet is that some of the money on the Boras kind of clients is very poorly spent," Moores said. "It turns out you spend a lot of money without certainty of a big league player coming up."

Source : http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib ... adres.html

And WRVeres, why do you think the Padres drafted a shortstop in the draft when they have Khalil Greene as their everyday shortstop, a man who finished 2nd last season in the rookie of the year voting. Matt Bush has one hell of an arm (was ranked #1 defensive prospect in the draft by Baseball America). Third base anyone? Just a thought.

So before you post that Burroughs job is secure, look at the bigger picture. The organization has been ready to accommodate a change at third base.

And for your stats, Burroughs was 26th in the majors in doubles for a third-baseman last year. He's a pure singles hitter. His .365 slugging percentage last year was over thirty points lower than Ryan Klesko's on-base percentage.

Nady is not the long-term solution at thirdbase, but he is the short-term solution. He'll be there before the season's over. Mark those words.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby wrveres » Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:27 pm

Nady is not the long-term solution at thirdbase, but he is the short-term solution. He'll be there before the season's over. Mark those words.

Barring an injury to Burroughs, I will respectfully agree to disagree.

Oh, and Matt 'Biter' Bush is at least 5-6 years away.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby davidmarver » Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:07 pm

That would make Bush 25. He'll be up when he's 22. He's too defensively gifted. Don't judge based on less than 100 minor league at bats.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby thehat » Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:28 pm

davidmarver wrote:That would make Bush 25. He'll be up when he's 22. He's too defensively gifted. Don't judge based on less than 100 minor league at bats.

I'll be really interested to see how Bush does this season. He's got a flawed swing and needs to try to more of a contact hitter than a slugger, which he just isn't going to be. Reports are that he was trying to hit everything out of the park last year and really struggled. Kind of stands to reason, as I would imagine he was trying to make an impression after the post-draft incident....although I did hear from a couple of folks that he was aloof with less heralded teammates, and this is not a positive if accurate.

As for tools, he's got a monster arm, an 80 on the scouting scale, and that's as high as it gets. Not too many worries about his defense. Offensively, there are concerns. Swing is too long and loopy and he's not partiucarly fast. Projects as a .270 bottom of the order type.

But I would agree that he's ticketed to be in San Diego by 2008, and while I doubt he'll ever be much of a fantasy grab, he should emerge as a big league regular.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby davidmarver » Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:51 pm

thehat wrote:
davidmarver wrote:That would make Bush 25. He'll be up when he's 22. He's too defensively gifted. Don't judge based on less than 100 minor league at bats.

I'll be really interested to see how Bush does this season. He's got a flawed swing and needs to try to more of a contact hitter than a slugger, which he just isn't going to be. Reports are that he was trying to hit everything out of the park last year and really struggled. Kind of stands to reason, as I would imagine he was trying to make an impression after the post-draft incident....although I did hear from a couple of folks that he was aloof with less heralded teammates, and this is not a positive if accurate.

As for tools, he's got a monster arm, an 80 on the scouting scale, and that's as high as it gets. Not too many worries about his defense. Offensively, there are concerns. Swing is too long and loopy and he's not partiucarly fast. Projects as a .270 bottom of the order type.

But I would agree that he's ticketed to be in San Diego by 2008, and while I doubt he'll ever be much of a fantasy grab, he should emerge as a big league regular.

Living down here in San Diego it was real fun to watch him play in High School. His school is right by Pacific Beach so it was easy to find a day to go watch a game and then go to EZ Jays and wow he did not disapoint. I didn't get to see him field, but he pitched a shutout the game I went to which lowered his ERA that day to less than half a run. Don't know how he did the rest of the year, but he really dazzled the day I went. Hit 94 on the gun.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers