Time to grab Jerry Hairston Jr? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Time to grab Jerry Hairston Jr?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby slomo007 » Sun Apr 10, 2005 10:13 pm

thehat wrote:
slomo007 wrote:
thehat wrote:I'm not high on Hairston even in deep leagues. His value may rise a bit with this news, but he's still pretty low on the 2B totem pole. Even if Walker is to be sidelined for some time (unknown), I only see Hairston of cursory value in a deep league where someone is hurting badly at MI.

What's not to like about a potential 30 steal, 90 run threat at the top of a good lineup? (Dusty has said he would hit leadoff most likely). Granted he'll be lucky to hit 5 HRs, but if he can post a .290-.300 average he could be very useful. Especially in leagues that use MIers.

I don't believe there's even a remote possibility of Hairston achieving numbers in that realm. The guy's a lifetime .260 hitter. His ONLY season as a full time starter was 2000. He did steal 29 bases that year, but he also hit .233. In 2001, he was a semi-regular and hit .268 with 21 SB, and that was probably his best season.

On top of that, Hairston is extremely injury prone. He's broken a foot, a hand and an ankle in just the last two seasons.

What I'm pretty much saying is that while Hairston has value as a fill in type in the real baseball world, there's a reason he's been a part timer his whole career. He's just not that good. I'm not saying the numbrs you suggest are unattainable, but I would be absolutely shocked if he got anywhere near there. Good SB guy, but that's about it.

You get burned by him recently? You seem bitter.

Time will tell...he had a great Spring and is a better option for the Cubs at 2b anyways...plus he gives them a much needed leadoff hitter who doesn't K once a game. I don't expect him to be last year's Chone Figgins....but I do expect him to far surpass your expectations of .260, 20 steals if given everyday PT.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby thehat » Sun Apr 10, 2005 11:11 pm

Nope, Slomo...no bitterness for me. I don't recall ever having owned him in any league, and I've been doing four per year forever, it seems. Just have never been impressed by Hairston as anything more than a plug-in type.

Who knows, maybe you're onto something with him. Of course, you'll have to convince Dusty as well...will he lead off with Hairston?
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby slomo007 » Sun Apr 10, 2005 11:16 pm

thehat wrote:Nope, Slomo...no bitterness for me. I don't recall ever having owned him in any league, and I've been doing four per year forever, it seems. Just have never been impressed by Hairston as anything more than a plug-in type.

Who knows, maybe you're onto something with him. Of course, you'll have to convince Dusty as well...will he lead off with Hairston?

Yeah, that's the way I understand it. Against lefties, he already leads off when he starts. Against righties I am going to venture to guess that he starts leading off, and if he plays well then he'll hold the job. Patterson is not a good leadoff hitter, Dusty has to know this.

I agree that he's not valuable in all leagues, but there are leagues where he has value. I'd say he has more upside than guys like Alfonzo or Eckstein for a MI spot.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby sammyfan711 » Sun Apr 10, 2005 11:36 pm

Dusty Baker said:"It looks like Walker might be out for a while from the looks of it." in a postgame news conference. I just grabbed Hairston out of desperation in the SB catergory.
sammyfan711
College Coach
College Coach

Postby slomo007 » Sun Apr 10, 2005 11:37 pm

sammyfan711 wrote:Dusty Baker said:"It looks like Walker might be out for a while from the looks of it." in a postgame news conference. I just grabbed Hairston out of desperation in the SB catergory.

The injury looked pretty serious to me as well...I realize he limped off the field, but knee injuries can be deceiving. Some of the hardest collisions can be just a bruise, while just a strange tweak can really strain or even tear ligaments.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby bd3521 » Sun Apr 10, 2005 11:41 pm

Neifi has no shot correct?
[url]http://www.footballguys.com/05vbdrevisited.htm[/url]
bd3521
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby slomo007 » Sun Apr 10, 2005 11:44 pm

bd3521 wrote:Neifi has no shot correct?

Not unless Hairston fails to hit righties. I think Hairston will definitely get the job first, and be given every chance to succeed before Perez is given a chance.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby slomo007 » Mon Apr 11, 2005 1:36 pm

Rotoworld wrote:Todd Walker - 2B - CHC

Cubs placed Todd Walker on the 15-day DL with a moderate to severe MCL sprain of the left knee.
No official timetable has been announced, but some Chicago reports believe Walker will miss up to a month. Jerry Hairston Jr. should get the bulk of playing time at second, but don't be surprised if Neifi Perez is in the mix. Apr. 11 - 12:45 pm et

Looks like Perez is in the lineup today over Hairston though, so I guess I committed original sin by assuming that Dusty knows how to properly manage a baseball team. Seriously, Neifi Perez? :-P

Regardless, Hairston won't have as much value as I had hoped.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby bmcginni » Mon Apr 11, 2005 3:18 pm

It was announced during the Cubs pregame show today that Todd Walker will be out 4-6 weeks w/ a knee (right knee?) MCL sprain. They compared the damage to an ankle sprain, but instead in the knee. Nothing too serious, but it will take him a while to get back from it. He showed up to the game today on crutches.

Nefi Perez got the start at 2B and hitting 2nd today over Jerry Hairston. Dusty said that Nefi was starting due to his familiarity w/ the NL pitcher Adam Eaton, while Hairston is still unfamiliar w/ NL pitching.

This poses an interesting situation. Hairston is by far the better player. Nefi may not even be in the league anymore if it weren't for Dusty Baker, who is the only person in the world that thinks Nefi can still (could he ever?) play. Hairston could be an everyday guy on an MLB roster-Nefi is lucky to be holding down the bench. Yes, Hairston did just come over from the AL, but c'mon DustyB. Hairston has to get the bulk of the time here.

I'd imagine that Hairston will see the bulk of the PT-likely hitting leadoff or 2nd.
"Wade Boggs once drank 62 beers on a cross-country flight."
bmcginni
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby AKhomebrewer » Mon Apr 11, 2005 3:45 pm

bmcginni wrote:Dusty said that Nefi was starting due to his familiarity w/ the NL pitcher Adam Eaton, while Hairston is still unfamiliar w/ NL pitching.

Gonna take Jerry awhile to get familiar with that NL pitching when he doesn't get to face it.
Anyway, when I saw the announcement on Walker I checked our waiver wire, but the Cub fan in our league had already jumped Hairston !+).
• Aaron Hill: Avoids DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
• Aaron Hill: Headed for DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
AKhomebrewer
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers