Time to grab Jerry Hairston Jr? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Time to grab Jerry Hairston Jr?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Time to grab Jerry Hairston Jr?

Postby slomo007 » Sun Apr 10, 2005 9:45 pm

Might be time to grab him:

Rotoworld wrote:Todd Walker - 2B - Cubs

Todd Walker, who was taken out by Carlos Lee on a play at second base today, will have an MRI tomorrow for a sprained knee.
If Walker is going to miss some time, Jerry Hairston Jr. will take over at second base. Apr. 10 - 9:18 pm et

Once Yahoo adds this to Hairston's news, it might be too late...grab him early and wait for the Walker results.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby lbbaseball14 » Sun Apr 10, 2005 9:52 pm

thanks
*Thanks to Super Manny*
lbbaseball14
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby thehat » Sun Apr 10, 2005 9:52 pm

I'm not high on Hairston even in deep leagues. His value may rise a bit with this news, but he's still pretty low on the 2B totem pole. Even if Walker is to be sidelined for some time (unknown), I only see Hairston of cursory value in a deep league where someone is hurting badly at MI.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby slomo007 » Sun Apr 10, 2005 9:55 pm

thehat wrote:I'm not high on Hairston even in deep leagues. His value may rise a bit with this news, but he's still pretty low on the 2B totem pole. Even if Walker is to be sidelined for some time (unknown), I only see Hairston of cursory value in a deep league where someone is hurting badly at MI.

What's not to like about a potential 30 steal, 90 run threat at the top of a good lineup? (Dusty has said he would hit leadoff most likely). Granted he'll be lucky to hit 5 HRs, but if he can post a .290-.300 average he could be very useful. Especially in leagues that use MIers.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Big85Blue85 » Sun Apr 10, 2005 10:00 pm

Is there any reason to think Walker will be out for more than 2-3 days?
Big85Blue85
College Coach
College Coach

Postby slomo007 » Sun Apr 10, 2005 10:01 pm

Big85Blue85 wrote:Is there any reason to think Walker will be out for more than 2-3 days?

It's still up in the air....all depends on the MRI results. He walked off the field today, but with a noticable limp.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby TheYanks04 » Sun Apr 10, 2005 10:03 pm

Hairston has hit over 271 only once (2004) and he only played half the season. A 260-270's type with no power. His best SB year was 2001 with 29, but he hit .232 that year as well. Who knows, but at best he is Luis Castillo at 2b imo. He could be a lot worse. Worth a flier at MI, but someone like Cantu is probably a better flier.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby slomo007 » Sun Apr 10, 2005 10:06 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:Hairston has hit over 271 only once (2004) and he only played half the season. A 260-270's type with no power. His best SB year was 2001 with 29, but he hit .232 that year as well. Who knows, but at best he is Luis Castillo at 2b imo. He could be a lot worse. Worth a flier at MI, but someone like Cantu is probably a better flier.

Agreed, but I waited one day too long to grab Cantu. Also, he battled injuries last year, and also didn't even have an everyday job guaranteed. I think he'll thrive in Chicago if given the PT personally.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Mustangs989 » Sun Apr 10, 2005 10:06 pm

The Walker injury didn't look too bad when it happened, Lee was actually more shaken up than Walker was. I don't expect him to miss much time, maybe a game or two.
Mustangs989
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby thehat » Sun Apr 10, 2005 10:09 pm

slomo007 wrote:
thehat wrote:I'm not high on Hairston even in deep leagues. His value may rise a bit with this news, but he's still pretty low on the 2B totem pole. Even if Walker is to be sidelined for some time (unknown), I only see Hairston of cursory value in a deep league where someone is hurting badly at MI.

What's not to like about a potential 30 steal, 90 run threat at the top of a good lineup? (Dusty has said he would hit leadoff most likely). Granted he'll be lucky to hit 5 HRs, but if he can post a .290-.300 average he could be very useful. Especially in leagues that use MIers.

I don't believe there's even a remote possibility of Hairston achieving numbers in that realm. The guy's a lifetime .260 hitter. His ONLY season as a full time starter was 2000. He did steal 29 bases that year, but he also hit .233. In 2001, he was a semi-regular and hit .268 with 21 SB, and that was probably his best season.

On top of that, Hairston is extremely injury prone. He's broken a foot, a hand and an ankle in just the last two seasons.

What I'm pretty much saying is that while Hairston has value as a fill in type in the real baseball world, there's a reason he's been a part timer his whole career. He's just not that good. I'm not saying the numbrs you suggest are unattainable, but I would be absolutely shocked if he got anywhere near there. Good SB guy, but that's about it.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers