Texiera is looking bad?? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Texiera is looking bad??

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby tmoney » Sun Apr 10, 2005 9:02 pm

slomo007 wrote:
tmoney wrote:He started slow last year, I would not worry about it. Last year in April he batted .276 with 2 HR and 7 RBI, and in May he batted .212 with 3 HR and 7 RBI. He will get his eventually.

You're right, he did start slow...but wasn't that due to injury? I can't remember for sure, but I think it was an injury he was battling.

Regardless, he's not really playing that poorly so far, he's just swung at a few bad pitches and seems to be pushing to hit HRs rather than just taking what the pitchers give him. I think this is something that he'll correct in the near future....he's too good of a player to slump like this for long. He's one of the best young power hitters in the game, he'll produce. ;-D

Good memory, forgot about that. ;-D He only had 29 AB in April last year. I think he was out last year for a while with a strained side muscle or something like that. But the bottom line is he will produce and have a good year.
tmoney
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Pokeyouindaeye » Sun Apr 10, 2005 9:13 pm

The more people freak out over Teixeira, the more times I get to trade Braden Looper for him.

It's all good to me!
Yes, I was, uh... I was thinking about ordering the tape, the videotape... about the college girls and the... the wild... the wildness. They're going wild or something? Somebody told me... about going wild.
-Larry David
Pokeyouindaeye
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 6)

Postby TheRawDAWG » Sun Apr 10, 2005 9:42 pm

Don't forget the ballpark doesn't really get jumping till the weather gets HOT HOT HOT...Tex will be fine.
Barry Bonds for US president.
TheRawDAWG
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby slomo007 » Sun Apr 10, 2005 9:43 pm

TheRawDAWG wrote:Don't forget the ballpark doesn't really get jumping till the weather gets HOT HOT HOT...Tex will be fine.

True, and he hasn't even had a home game yet....he's had 2 road series in Anaheim and Seattle...not exactly hitters' havens.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby thehat » Sun Apr 10, 2005 9:45 pm

Gotta love the newbies.

Relax if you own Teixeira. At the end of the year, you'll have about 40 more HR than you have now.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Steve-o » Sun Apr 10, 2005 10:32 pm

I think this subject is being too easily dismissed. I play in a roto league, with weekly lineup adjustments, and sitting a slumping player can really help your average and other cats for the course of a season (ie Aubrey Huff early last year). There comes a point when you say "Look, I don't care if I miss his break out game and he hits two bombs, I cannot stand the .125 avg for the other 4 days!" If a player has a history of starting slow, or going into prolonged slumps or hot streaks, you have to take advantage of that.

So then the question becomes is Tex in one of those slumps?

Some evidence:
2004:
April avg - 276 (only 29 ab)
May avg - 212 (85 abs)
at Safeco - 407 (27)

2003: (rookie)
April - 188 (64 ab)
May - 282 (71)
at Safeco - 132 (38)

With only two season, it is tough to tell. If he was making good contact, and just getting unlucky, that would be one matter, but I don't have his contact rate for this season available to me (anyone know where I can find that without paying?). He has Ked 5 times and only walked once. Also 1 for 19 in the last 4 games (with the one hit coming today - overall 4 for 29).

I think that is enough to be considered at least a minor slump. If I had a good backup, like Shawn Green, I would seriously consider benching him for a week. Unfortunately, I have Geoff Jenkins, so I will likely ride out his cold streak. Talk to me in a week though. :-o
Steve-o
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Secret Avatar » Sun Apr 10, 2005 11:04 pm

Check Tex's home/road splits last year. He was awful on the road and a monster at home. That trend should continue this year. He hasn't played at home yet.
I am the Master. Don't question the Master. Just do what he says and be proud.
Secret Avatar
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers