Oliver Perez: lost his control? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Oliver Perez: lost his control?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Oliver Perez: lost his control?

Postby CPHFighter1 » Sun Apr 10, 2005 9:40 am

Game 1: 3 walks and a wild pitch in 5 innings.
Game 2: 5 walks and a wild pitch in 4 innings.

His walk rate was a tad higher than the other pitchers in his tier last year, but this is extraordinarily high. This doesn't look like he's hurt; it seems to be just in his head. When pitchers start losing control of their best pitches, they tend to try to just get the ball over the plate, which is likley the cause of Brian Giles 400 foot home run yesterday.

Any thoughts from Pittsburgh or elsewhere what is wrong with him?
CPHFighter1
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby raiders_umpire » Sun Apr 10, 2005 9:44 am

i think u have it right .... wildness is his problem now,,, giving up a walk a inning so far is not very good.... and to go along with the walks he is also leaving some fastballs down the middle where the pitch can be tagged.....
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Secret Avatar » Sun Apr 10, 2005 9:52 am

Yeah, his first two starts were UGLY. I don't think it was just his control. His velocity seemed to be down as well. The commentators even noted that he wasn't throwing heat like he did last year. But I wouldn't start to worry yet. It's only the first week of the season. He could easily bounce back. Hell, even RJ didn't have his A-game yesterday.
I am the Master. Don't question the Master. Just do what he says and be proud.
Secret Avatar
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby King Tim » Sun Apr 10, 2005 11:41 am

"Just like spring training, don't put too much emphasis on a pitcher's first start of the season. Pirates ace Oliver Perez gave up six earned runs in only five innings, but no one should be thinking about reserving him this early. Remember that some pitchers, like Perez, got a late start to their spring and were unable to get enough exhibition innings in before the games counted for real."

I'd give him a few more starts before starting to worry.
King Tim
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby rlee » Sun Apr 10, 2005 11:46 am

Remember how everyone was jumping off the Santana bandwagon last year? He was a bigger dumping ground than a landfill :-D

Lots of people bailed on him, and what happened? :-? Oh, that's right, the most dominating pitcher in MLB.

Since I just drafted Ollie the other night, I :-[ 'm hoping history repeats itself and he'll get things straightened out !+)
rlee
rlee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby hybrid » Sun Apr 10, 2005 12:15 pm

rlee wrote:Remember how everyone was jumping off the Santana bandwagon last year? He was a bigger dumping ground than a landfill :-D

Lots of people bailed on him, and what happened? :-? Oh, that's right, the most dominating pitcher in MLB.

Since I just drafted Ollie the other night, I :-[ 'm hoping history repeats itself and he'll get things straightened out !+)

And the winner for most emoticons in a post goes too....

But seriously, it's obviously to early to jump ship. Though I think people should be tad worried, cause this is what plagued him all the time before last year. Pitchers can and do regress, especially when they are young and haven't matered their control yet. His control was better last year, but not good enough to say he wasn't at risk too wildness again.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby cordscords » Sun Apr 10, 2005 12:16 pm

i think ollie takes a step down this year. he should be a #3 starter on a fantasy team.
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 23)

Postby Strasil42 » Sun Apr 10, 2005 12:26 pm

cordscords wrote:i think ollie takes a step down this year. he should be a #3 starter on a fantasy team.

no
Strasil42
General Manager
General Manager

Postby cordscords » Sun Apr 10, 2005 12:29 pm

Strasil42 wrote:
cordscords wrote:i think ollie takes a step down this year. he should be a #3 starter on a fantasy team.

no

yes :-D
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 23)

Postby CPHFighter1 » Sun Apr 10, 2005 12:38 pm

Ollie is not a pitcher that will just regress into a #3 starter. He's either going to put up numbers at or better than last year, or he's going to lose some control and kill your ERA and WHIP. In the latter case, he'll probably be less than a #3 starter. He doesn't get wins, so that leaves him as a one category guy (Ks).
The loss in velocity someone mentioned is cause for concern. I am hoping his short spring caused it, and in a few more starts will be throwing gas again and getting his nasty stuff over the plate. Regardless of that, the K's will be there.
CPHFighter1
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers