ZITO noooo!!!!!! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

ZITO noooo!!!!!!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby stoner420 » Mon Apr 11, 2005 12:52 pm

ok...yeah lets put this thread to rest... i think we can all agree that zito will get picked too high in 95% of our leagues so theres really no use in having him on your team if u are good at fantasy baseball. if u do however have him, dont drop him. just let him sit till he makes a good start then u can consider spottting him.
stoner420
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Mon Apr 11, 2005 12:59 pm

donny23 wrote:My point is that if he is on your bench, you might be willing to start him over Bedard given matchups. I think that's what the other guy was trying to say. You might argue back that you'd start most pitchers vs Tampa vs Bedard againts Boston. It all depends who is on your wire. I'd take Zito over all pitchers on my wire personally, and it's not because I'm high on him at all.

You've made it clear how low you are on Zito. I think you are right not to be high on him, but I think you're a little lower than most. We'll see how he bounces back after his horrid start and agree to disagree on just how bad Zito is :-D

This is just for mixed leagues - AL only are a different animal - however...

I would prefer to take my chances churning people from the WW based on matchups than blindly starting Zito at this point. I think pinpointing Bedard is clouding the argument. This isnt Bedard vs. Zito - its Zito vs. your roto pitching cats.

I havent heard any reason to believe Zito will turn it around other than the fact he's young and he was a better pitcher a few yrs ago so he has shown what he can do. Specifically I'm interested in what is happening now and what he is doing to rectify the situation. When you listen to pitchers with longevity one of the things they repeat often is that they had to adjust their game accordingly through the years in order to stay succesful. Zito is not doing that. Clearly hitters have a book on him and he's been figured out. What I want to know is if anyone knows what he is doing to change that. Is he working on a new pitch, new stance, new approach, new finger positioning, or anything new whatsoever to correct the current situation? When someone comes up with a reasonable argument for that and he starts putting up a few games in a row with his new whatever, then I will consider him again.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby donny23 » Mon Apr 11, 2005 1:07 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:
donny23 wrote:My point is that if he is on your bench, you might be willing to start him over Bedard given matchups. I think that's what the other guy was trying to say. You might argue back that you'd start most pitchers vs Tampa vs Bedard againts Boston. It all depends who is on your wire. I'd take Zito over all pitchers on my wire personally, and it's not because I'm high on him at all.

You've made it clear how low you are on Zito. I think you are right not to be high on him, but I think you're a little lower than most. We'll see how he bounces back after his horrid start and agree to disagree on just how bad Zito is :-D

This is just for mixed leagues - AL only are a different animal - however...

I would prefer to take my chances churning people from the WW based on matchups than blindly starting Zito at this point. I think pinpointing Bedard is clouding the argument. This isnt Bedard vs. Zito - its Zito vs. your roto pitching cats.

I havent heard any reason to believe Zito will turn it around other than the fact he's young and he was a better pitcher a few yrs ago so he has shown what he can do. Specifically I'm interested in what is happening now and what he is doing to rectify the situation. When you listen to pitchers with longevity one of the things they repeat often is that they had to adjust their game accordingly through the years in order to stay succesful. Zito is not doing that. Clearly hitters have a book on him and he's been figured out. What I want to know is if anyone knows what he is doing to change that. Is he working on a new pitch, new stance, new approach, new finger positioning, or anything new whatsoever to correct the current situation? When someone comes up with a reasonable argument for that and he starts putting up a few games in a row with his new whatever, then I will consider him again.

Fair enough. Can't really argue with that.
donny23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby TheYanks04 » Mon Apr 11, 2005 1:46 pm

I avoided Zito this year. Curveball pitchers that can't throw their curveball well on a consistent basis usually get lit up. Was not going to risk it.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby RynMan » Mon Apr 11, 2005 5:48 pm

Sorry guys, possibly cuz Im an A's fan, I'm optimistic. I think waiver-wire material is a bit of a stretch simply because he has established a servicable level of play previously. I tend to think that everyone is overreacting to that outing a little. I'll be offering trades for him, sure it'll be noone worth more than Lew Ford but I think its worth the gamble.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Transmogrifier » Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:55 pm

The guy in my league is trying to get rid of him, so I'm going to try and get him cheap. Why not? (AL-only, by the way.)
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers