11% of Dominican players test positive - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

11% of Dominican players test positive

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby LBJackal » Sun Apr 10, 2005 5:28 pm

I don't think MLB should punish Dominicans who fail drug tests over there. If they come over here and fail a test, treat them the same as everybody else. Let them juice over there if they want to, and let the Dominican leagues penalize them (I'm not being naive and thinking players will be punished over there, but if they are, leave it to them). If players are on steroids or horse pills or whatever, then they're gonna have a real hard time once they get over here. It should be each individual team's responsibility to make sure the players they sign are clean, or at least won't see a big drop in production if they come off roids when entering the States.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby quietstorm » Sun Apr 10, 2005 5:36 pm

KPucks wrote:
quietstorm wrote:
KPucks wrote:
wrveres wrote:Interesting that they are not suspended if caught, and that thier slate is wiped clean once they get to the US.

thanks for posting the link. ;-D

Yeah, that is pretty dumb. A guy could test positive as many times as he wants while in the Dominican but has a clean slate in the US? Doesn't seem too fair. Just another example how baseball's testing policy is a joke and still needs serious reforms.

If we tried to punish their positive testers, it wouldn't do any good. It's not like they'd tell us who tests positive. Are we going to ban Dominicans from playing in MLB? We have no jurisdiction over their game, so it's not as if there's any other option to try to stop them from juicing before coming over here.

They're testing positive in MLB's academies and teams in the Dominican. They should definitely be punished for testing positive while part of a MLB organization, which they are.

That's what I get for not actually reading the article.
Your wisemen don't know how it feels to be thick as a brick...
quietstorm
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby LBJackal » Sun Apr 10, 2005 5:45 pm

OK well if they're already signed by MLB teams that changes things. But since the Dominican laws are that you can't punish somebody for failing a drug test I'm not sure MLB would be able to do something even if they wanted to. Not really sure on that. I guess once the players come to the States they could.... :-?

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers