is Willy Taveras better than Juan Pierre? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

is Willy Taveras better than Juan Pierre?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby justinA » Fri Apr 22, 2005 2:37 am

WhiteSoxs wrote:hey did nt he get caught 25 times las t year. :-o
thats horrible in real baseball, just to let you know. :-P
if beltran ran that many times last year he woulda had 65 sb's

Yeah, he's actually not that good of a basestealer, at all. A man with his speed should never get caught that mcuh if he knows how to steal, and apparently he doesn't. Ichiro, now thats a guy who KNOWS HOW to steal, who cares about the speed. A-Rod isn't that fast, but he's smart.

But, the question in ridiculous because he is putting it in the present tense, which is absurd.
The Oreos!
justinA
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby planet » Tue May 03, 2005 8:52 pm

Let me know in a month when he has a good amount of ab's to at least make this a comparison.

its may... and willy taveras is STILL outperforming pierre... with no end in sight
planet
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby AcidRock23 » Tue May 03, 2005 11:18 pm

He looked pretty sharp on the basepath tonight, not just fast but smart...the chopper they showed on BT he took off as soon as the ball was hitting the ground and scored on a bouncing grounder to the 3B who was really not playing all that far back. He hit the gas on the triple too and is a bat out of hell. Given that Taveras could be had on waivers all over the place and Pierre was going very early on in drafts, I think that Taveras will be better IF he can avoid the hook if he slumps. They've kept him in so far so he'll at least get SB and hit. You have to admit he's not going to score NEARLY as many runs so straight up Pierre is worth > Taveres but I have Taveres on both my teams right now.
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby planet » Wed May 04, 2005 10:51 am

well they just moved him into the leadoff spot and he is blowing up up there... that equals higher run totals...
planet
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby benjapage » Wed May 04, 2005 10:57 am

when berkman gets back, lil' will's gonna kill basepaths. come on, roadrunner. tear it up. ;-D

b
yeah, yes...
benjapage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby quicksilver8 » Wed May 04, 2005 11:07 am

Better fantasy value = Tavares.
Better Real life player overall = Pierre.
Better real life player at the moment = Taveras.

I'll committ blasphemy here and say in a keeper league, I'd almost rather have Taveras....Pierre's steal rate was poor last season and his calf still appears to be hindering his sb this season. I would be surprised if Pierre didn't finish 3rd in NL in steals behind Taveras and Reyes.
Official Member of the Andruw Jones hosed me fan club
quicksilver8
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby planet » Wed May 04, 2005 12:41 pm

Taveras also has a GUN for an arm... he's pretty good defensively and he can straight up throw dudes out at home. He gives the astros a true center fielder and leadoff man in one... All this points to his keeping his starting job when Berkman comes back. and when that happens, the sky is the limit cuz nobody can stop this guy from getting on base and just taking bags... he is just silly fast...
planet
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby T-Bone Costanza » Wed May 04, 2005 3:07 pm

benjapage wrote:when berkman gets back, lil' will's gonna kill basepaths. come on, roadrunner. tear it up. ;-D

b

I share your sentiments about Taveras, but 6-feet tall isn't really lil'.
T-Bone Costanza
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Strasil42 » Wed May 04, 2005 3:20 pm

justinA wrote:

Yeah, he's actually not that good of a basestealer, at all. A man with his speed should never get caught that mcuh if he knows how to steal, and apparently he doesn't. Ichiro, now thats a guy who KNOWS HOW to steal, who cares about the speed. A-Rod isn't that fast, but he's smart.

But, the question in ridiculous because he is putting it in the present tense, which is absurd.

what are you talking about???? tavaras has 10 sb and 1 cs, while ichiro has 8 sb and 2 cs. Does he have a horrible minor league track record? I hate when people post about something they know nothing about.

o and arod has 3 sb and 3 cs. Wtf are you getting your information from?
Strasil42
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Dans » Wed May 04, 2005 3:38 pm

Strasil42 wrote:
justinA wrote:

what are you talking about???? tavaras has 10 sb and 1 cs, while ichiro has 8 sb and 2 cs. Does he have a horrible minor league track record? I hate when people post about something they know nothing about.

o and arod has 3 sb and 3 cs. Wtf are you getting your information from?

He was talking about Pierre, not Willy
Dans
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 1)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers