Gagne update - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Gagne update

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Gagne update

Postby duckbillgates » Sat Apr 09, 2005 3:33 pm

From rotoworld.com:
Trainer Stan Johnston said Eric Gagne will not even play catch until he is ''completely asymptomatic.''
Johnston said that Gagne's minor knee injury from spring training is already healed, so all the Dodgers are worried about right now is the elbow. Apr. 9 - 8:24 am et

Seems like good news and bad news to me. No positive word on the elbow, but clearly they are not going to rush him back so if/when he is back, there is a very good chance he will be the Eric Gagne we know and love.
duckbillgates
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Darkie Satchels » Sat Apr 09, 2005 9:29 pm

It's not his arm. I feel like this is Roswell or something but that kid has a leg issue they are not talking about.

Great indie Music Website: http://www.pensatos.com
Darkie Satchels
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby agchris02 » Sat Apr 09, 2005 9:39 pm

Well if that really is true, and I only give it a 50-50 that the management is lying to us all, then I feel even better about a couple trades I made (most notably getting beltran and gagne for m-cab, sheff, and colon).

I hope it is just his arm....i say that 5 or 6 times a day right now.

Heres to hoping these press releases are accurate and injury reports are honest ;-7
Jackalope
agchris02
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby LBJackal » Sat Apr 09, 2005 9:42 pm

Why would they say the leg is fine and the arm isn't? The arm issue is much more serious, if anything they'd try to cover that up, not the leg.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Darkie Satchels » Sat Apr 09, 2005 9:46 pm

Like I said, it's my current Roswell. ;-) I seriously think its more than the arm.

Darkie Satchels
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby DominicanLou » Sat Apr 09, 2005 11:28 pm

Darkie Satchels wrote:Like I said, it's my current Roswell. ;-) I seriously think its more than the arm.

Now, I dont want to start rumors. I usually do not participate in any steroid talk, but I just wanted to bring this up. When a player is on the DL, I do not think he is eligible to be tested for steroids under the current agreement. Therefore, any "suspicious" or questionable injuries could be more than just an injury. I am not acussing Gagne of using steroids, but it is just suspicious.
DominicanLou
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby grammysboy » Sun Apr 10, 2005 12:06 am

DominicanLou wrote:
Darkie Satchels wrote:Like I said, it's my current Roswell. ;-) I seriously think its more than the arm.

Now, I dont want to start rumors. I usually do not participate in any steroid talk, but I just wanted to bring this up. When a player is on the DL, I do not think he is eligible to be tested for steroids under the current agreement. Therefore, any "suspicious" or questionable injuries could be more than just an injury. I am not acussing Gagne of using steroids, but it is just suspicious.

Now this is a really interesting comment in light of the fact that about half the minor leaguers who tested positive were pitchers. Maybe the juice has meant more to the pitchers than the hitters. Now what do we do with all the records? If Bonds hit them on steroids but it was against pitchers on steroids, who had the advantage?
grammysboy
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Darkie Satchels » Sun Apr 10, 2005 10:43 am

grammysboy wrote:
DominicanLou wrote:

Now this is a really interesting comment in light of the fact that about half the minor leaguers who tested positive were pitchers. Maybe the juice has meant more to the pitchers than the hitters. Now what do we do with all the records? If Bonds hit them on steroids but it was against pitchers on steroids, who had the advantage?

At least we know fat bastards like Zambrano aren't juicin' it up. Kid's a twinkie on his way to a honey-bun.

But back to Gagne; He'll be out for another month at best by my estimates which means Brazo better start waking up.

Darkie Satchels
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby great gretzky » Sun Apr 10, 2005 10:55 am

you can still be fat and use the steroids. I think it would be GREAT if more pitchers, speedster guys get busted with it. maybe this asterisk talk will subside.

From what I understand, the steroids in and of themselves don't make you big. What they do is help your muscles heal faster. So you get big by being able to work out more and with bigger weights than you otherwise would have. Since lifting weights actually breaks down your muscles, you get bigger as they heal stronger and bigger than before.

but what would happen if a pitcher took them and didn't lift? he wouldn't get bigger, but would get the healing benefit too I would think.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby grammysboy » Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:48 am

great gretzky wrote:but what would happen if a pitcher took them and didn't lift? he wouldn't get bigger, but would get the healing benefit too I would think.

Exactly! I think they've got to get pretty agressive testing all the players. If it normally takes a pitcher 3-4 days to recover from an outing, the roids could have him back in throwing shape in 2. What kind of advantage does that give teams like Minnesota or the Yanks who could theoretically run Santana or RJ out to the hill ever three days instead of the usual five? Should certainly raise a red flag if a team pitches a pitcher on short rest more than once or twice a season.
grammysboy
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Return to Baseball Leftovers