Return to General Talk

No More Snoozing

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

No More Snoozing

Postby MMoNeY24 » Sat Apr 09, 2005 10:43 am

Reuters/Yahoo! wrote:Hide-And-Seek Alarm Rousts Sleepyheads from Bed

Fri Apr 8, 8:37 AM ET
By Greg Frost

CAMBRIDGE, Mass. (Reuters) - A 25-year-old Massachusetts Institute of Technology student has invented a revolutionary alarm clock that makes sleepyheads find it to quiet it.

Designed to overcome abuse of the snooze feature on most alarm clocks, Gauri Nanda's "Clocky" falls to the floor and rolls away on the first push of the snooze button.

To turn it off, a person must get out of bed and find it.

The clock features two rubber wheels and is covered in thick, 1970s-style shag carpet and other material to cushion it when it tumbles to the floor.

A built-in computer chip randomly decides how far the clock will roll, so it stops in a different place each morning.

Since word of Clocky started spreading on the Internet last month, Nanda has been deluged with e-mails from people around the world seeking to buy, sell or invest in her invention.

Among those interested in Clocky, one Belgian woman wrote that she has chronic fatigue syndrome and that not even "10 alarm clocks" can wake her up. A Virginia man said: "I think I may have the record for hitting the snooze button for five hours straight. I need help. Clocky may be my only hope."

Others have suggested improvements for Clocky.

"One guy said he wouldn't mind if it squirted water on him, which is kind of weird," Nanda told Reuters on Thursday.

Unfortunately for them, Clocky is still a research project and is not yet commercially available. But Nanda said she is putting finishing touches on a prototype and hopes to begin testing it soon with an eye toward marketing.

In the meantime, the university is helping her sort out intellectual property issues on the runaway clock.

Nanda said the carpeting was inspired by some of the household items she remembers seeing as a child.

"My parents had amplifiers that looked like they were covered in carpet," she said. "I went with it because it's unconventional looking and gives the clock a playful personality. Maybe it'll even make the user laugh."
MMoNeY24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby JTWood » Sat Apr 09, 2005 10:52 am

That man is a bastard. I love hitting my snooze button, and I'll be damned if I wouldn't do anything short of destroying that clock when I finally found it.

B-)
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Mercer Boy » Sat Apr 09, 2005 10:53 am

I really like this idea...it forces you to get out of bed. If I didn't have the alarm on the other side of my room, I would probably miss work a lot. :*)

Hopefully it wouldn't get under something so sound-proof that you couldn't hear it, though... :-o
The One, The Only, The Incomparable Mercer Boy.
MySpace blog (updated 6/21 - Pirates walkout.)
Mercer Boy
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Kingctb27 » Sat Apr 09, 2005 11:21 am

That would be great for me, dunno how many times I've been late for work during the summer :-o
Kingctb27
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Champion

Postby raiders_umpire » Sat Apr 09, 2005 11:34 am

sounds like a good gift for my wife :-D she is the snooze button queen.... at least 3 or 4 times a morning she will hit the snooze......
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby DieHardCubbie » Sat Apr 09, 2005 12:30 pm

The last thing I want to do when I "come to" in the morning is chase down a dang alarm clock...a shag covered one at that.... :-o
[b]Useless Trivia of the day[/b]

England's Worcester Canoe Club set the world record for paddling a hand-propelled bathtub. The 25 man team covered a distance of 55 miles, 425 yards in 24 hours on September 28 and 29, 1979.
DieHardCubbie
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Sat Apr 09, 2005 9:23 pm

That's a great idea. I have four alarms set and still usually end up oversleeping. :-D
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby Madison » Sat Apr 09, 2005 10:51 pm

If it's loud enough, I'll buy one. :-) ;-D

I really hate getting up in the mornings. :-/
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby so0perspam » Sat Apr 09, 2005 10:53 pm

JTWood wrote:That man is a bastard. I love hitting my snooze button, and I'll be damned if I wouldn't do anything short of destroying that clock when I finally found it.

B-)

What he said.
ImageImage
so0perspam
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Return to General Talk