Hampden or Myers - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Hampden or Myers

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Hampden or Myers

Postby Dman » Sun May 11, 2003 7:52 pm

Both are available on waiver wire....pick up one and drop Batista (picked him up on ahunch today) or pick up both and drop Batista and Wade Miller? I am not sure if Miller will turn it around or not? Help!
Dman
Dman
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby slayme31 » Sun May 11, 2003 7:55 pm

Welcome to fantasy baseball...
must be ur first season

Miguel Batista isn't that great of an option in my mind....
Wade Miller is a stud just going through some hard times

Mike Hampton doesn't get alot of K's, but has managed to keep his ratios (ERA/WHIP) down...plus the Braves score enough to get him some wins.

Brett Myers is a great pitcher, but still young.
Both are great pickups, but i'm sure u have someone other than Wade Miller to waive.
slayme31
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby jdh » Sun May 11, 2003 8:00 pm

Well, first of all, don't drop Miller. His start last year was similar to this and he then he went on fire in the second half, winning 12 straight or something. He should turn it around and you don't want to dump him, have someone else grab him and watch them ride him to the title.

If you have to choose between Hampton and Myers, I would probably take Hampton, since he is the more proven starter, with a long history of success, and he now is playing for the Braves, who are widely considered to have the best pitching coaches and handle their staff very well and get the most out of them. He should win 12-15 games at least and is backed up by a great closer in Smoltz. Myers is unproven, has lots of upside, but could be streaky and inconsistent, and is backed up by a subpar closer in Mesa. That said, I think Myers is still a good pickup, but you don't want to drop Miller for him. I wouldn't worry about dropping Batista, he is marginal at best and plays in a hitters park for a team that looks like it will be very disappointing this year.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Dman » Sun May 11, 2003 8:09 pm

Not my first year - I picked up Batista on a hunch - he is VERY marginal, but I needed the wins and he was a hunch. It worked our very well...he got the win and allowed 1 ER in 6+ innings. Thanks for the input though...I just dropped him for Hampden. As for anyone else to drop...here are my picthers:

R.Johnson
Vazquez
Millwood
Lowe
Miller
Meche
R. Hernandez (KC)
Urbina
Fuolke
Williamson
Dman
Dman
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Trojan Pony » Sun May 11, 2003 8:36 pm

jdh wrote:Well, first of all, don't drop Miller. His start last year was similar to this and he then he went on fire in the second half, winning 12 straight or something.

But the big difference is that he was injured the first half of last season. As far as we know, this isn't the case this year. My starting pitching slots are too tight to waste one on a guy who has had one good start all season. I'm as big of a Wade Miller fan as the next guy but until he put out a couple solid efforts in a row I'm going to let him be. Who knows, maybe he is really hurt and isn't telling anyone. No one in my league has picked him up yet since I dropped him.
Trojan Pony
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby BobbyRoberto » Sun May 11, 2003 8:37 pm

Ugh. I know Hampton's looking good at the moment, with a 2-1 record, 2.70 ERA, but I just don't see how anyone with 9 strikeouts and 17 walks in 30 innings will have an ERA below 4.00 in the long run. I wouldn't want him on my team. Myers is 2-2, 2.20 with 40 strikeouts and 20 walks in 45 innings. I usually look closely at the peripherals (K/9, K/BB) and Hampton's are FUGLY.
Roger Angell: I was talking with Bob Gibson and I said: 'Are you always this competitive?' He said: 'Oh, I think so. I got a three-year old daughter, and I've played about 500 games of tic-tac-toe with her and she hasn't beat me yet.'
BobbyRoberto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicCafe Writer

Postby HOOTIE » Sun May 11, 2003 11:16 pm

I agree BOBBY, i like Myers.
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby tjhksig » Sun May 11, 2003 11:38 pm

I'd take Myers over Runelvys and is a close call w/ Meche.
tjhksig
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Super GM » Mon May 12, 2003 7:53 am

I just added Hampton for the heck of it. don't have anything better on the FA list, so I thought I'd just give him a chance, since I have a free spot on my roster with Josh beckett on the DL. I have Myers also. Oh and by the way the guy's name is HAMPTON and not HAMPDEN ;-D
Super GM
General Manager
General Manager

Return to Baseball Leftovers