Who would YOU KEEP? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who would YOU KEEP?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Who would YOU KEEP?

Postby tress94 » Tue Dec 31, 2002 1:53 pm

The league: 12 teams.

I need to keep 4 of the following 7 players (i've already narrowed down from last years roster.)

Piazza
S.Green
Soriano
Hudson
Halladay
M.Prior

I'm thinking Soriano, Piazza, Green and Hudson...but i really like Prior. What do you guys think? Thanks!
tress94

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Grenade Teeth » Tue Dec 31, 2002 2:08 pm

My take:

1. Keep Soriano. Young, talented, and a monster right now.

2. Keep Hudson. Will be a top 10 pitcher for several years. Pitchers are greater injury risks, but Hudson is worth it.

3. Keep Piazza. Position scarcity makes him super valuable. A shift to 1B in years to come (will it happen?) would make him a non-keeper in this situation.

4. Is there a limit on the number of years you can keep a player? If the years are unlimited, you must keep Prior. If you can only keep for a few years, keep Green.
Grenade Teeth
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby EugeneStyles » Tue Dec 31, 2002 3:00 pm

I would argue against keeping more than 1 pitcher. Take Piazza, Green, Soriano, and either Prior or Hudson. Just my opinion. It seems easier to pick up good pitchers as sleepers or during the first few weeks of the season if you're quick on the draw.
EugeneStyles
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby Guest » Tue Dec 31, 2002 3:33 pm

Keep Soriano/Green/Piazza/Prior. Green is a must keep. Its easier to find a sp, then a star hitter. Besides, with only 4 keepers, you don't want 2 sp.

Postby mcqfesijiba » Tue Dec 31, 2002 5:01 pm

To me this is a no brainer:

Keep Piazza, the elite among catchers (will probably remain a catcher for at least a few more years).

Keep Soriano, even a slight dropoff from last year keeps him as one of the elite 2nd basemen.

Keep Shawn Green, I doubt he'll be slowing down anytime soon and good for 40+ hr's, 100+ rbi's, double digit sb's, and good avg every year.

Keep Mark Prior, could be just as good as Hudson or better as soon as this year and obviously has much more upside.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Grenade Teeth » Tue Dec 31, 2002 5:05 pm

I agree that you can find good pitching cheap in the draft and early in the waiver wire, but by good pitching I mean Padilla, Odalis, Wolf, Ishii, Glavine, Lowe (last year). You have to be lucky and good to get these guys. You can also find good outfield help cheap, anyone remember where Beltran, Burrell, Damon, and Anderson were drafted last year? Remember where Ichiro went before his 'rookie' year? And next year will you remember where Matsui goes? I don't think any of them are better than Green, but also don't think you are going to find a SP better than Hudson available.

I think Soriano is a must keep, Piazza is a keeper and if you can keep forever Prior is a must keep (I see 250 K's annually)

Judging by the mock draft, Hudson belongs on the fringe of keeper-dom while Green is a definite keeper, Prior on the other hand, made it to the 8th round, so maybe he would make it back to you...
Grenade Teeth
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby jnr98 » Thu Jan 02, 2003 4:40 pm

Sorry, but I can't get comfortable with Piazza. History shows catchers breaking down around this age. Maybe I'll be wrong, but I'd rather keep two aces and hope to get Piazza in the 1st/2nd post-keeper draft.
jnr98
College Coach
College Coach

Cafe Writer

Postby Arlo » Thu Jan 02, 2003 5:12 pm

I'd love to see you make a trade here - Hudson/Green for an even better of, for example. Barring a trade, I'd definitely keep Soriano, but which one out of Piazza, Prior, Hudson and Green to drop is tough.

Piazza may begin to deteriorate, but with twelve teams, dropping him would be awfully tough.

Green is very good, but of's are easy to find.

Prior has the least value of these four, but the greatest potential as a keeper.

Hudson is first-rate, and should remain so for many years.

Pick your poison; dropping any of these stars is tough. I'd probably wind up deciding between Hudson and Green...
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby scottdg » Thu Jan 02, 2003 5:13 pm

I would definately keep Green/Hudson/Prior

Soriano and Piazza are a toss up. Soriano is probably not going to be able to duplicate his numbers form last season while you can expect better production from Piazza.
scottdg
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

keep

Postby HOOTIE » Thu Jan 02, 2003 6:09 pm

Drop Soriano? Come on now. Even if he regresses, a 30/30 guy at 2b is gold. Hudson is nice, but with better players and only 4 keepers, hes not really a good option. Soriano/Green/Piazza are easy locks. The only choice is Hudson or Prior, and i would lean Prior. Yes, outfielders are plentiful, but few as good as Green. Although Prior didnt have alot of innings, his whip was better then Hudson has ever posted. Fwiw, Shandler has Prior with a lower projected era.
HOOTIE

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers