Punting Saves--Strategy question - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Punting Saves--Strategy question

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Punting Saves--Strategy question

Postby Stello12 » Fri Apr 08, 2005 11:24 am

I'm in a 12-team mixed 5x5 H2H league. I'm punting saves. This is my 1st year in such a league and have a quick question for the peanut gallery:

I obviously need to win the wins and k's category and hopefully the ERA and WHIP on a lesser scale. That said, how many SP's should I carry vs middle relievers? Here is my current staff:

Schmidt
Sheets
Peavy
Harden
Colon
Haren
Bedard
Lyon
Brazoban

Should I pick up another starter or two to bank SP's for when my starters have losing week's? We can play up to 9 pitchers in this daily transaction league. A bit unsure of how to balance my roster with SP's vs RP's in a situation where I'm punting saves. I need to solidify my ERA and WHIP, although I'm fine this week.

Thanks
Stello12
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby AtlDynasty25 » Fri Apr 08, 2005 11:29 am

I'm doing the same thing this year punting saves. And decided to fill the void left by closers with stud MR's. I have M. Gonzalez, Rincon, Calero, and Ayala. It's working to a charm this week. So far they've given me 9.2 IP 0 ER 12K 2BB 0.51 WHIP. Certainly helping my ratios. Unfortunately, a couple of these guys could be gone in your league already. Your SP looks awesome though. You shouldn't have any ERA problems. You could probably trade Lyon, or a SP for some of the guys I mentioned above if you're so inclined.
AtlDynasty25
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby BritSox » Fri Apr 08, 2005 11:31 am

That doesn't look like a punting saves team to me, that looks like a trying to get cheap saves team. Surely there are some elite MR still available who will put up better peripherals than Lyon and Brazoban?
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

Postby Dawgpound 1613 » Fri Apr 08, 2005 11:42 am

BritSox wrote:That doesn't look like a punting saves team to me, that looks like a trying to get cheap saves team. Surely there are some elite MR still available who will put up better peripherals than Lyon and Brazoban?

Agree - 1.5 closers isn't punting saves. Brazoban should have decent peripherals, though, and I would keep him even after Gagne comes back.

If you're going to try and do well in wins and Ks w/o hurting ERA/WHIP, you should have at least 5 starters, with at least 3 good starters to help cover the effects the other two might have on your ERA and WHIP. With Schmidt, Sheets, Peavy and, if healthy, Harden - I think you have that covered. Hopefully Colon will fall into that as well, leaving only Haren and Bedard as possible questions marks - though both should help in K.

If you're truly going to punt saves, you could look to package Lyon and one of those two for another good starter to a team that is looking for saves. Then pick up a good MR with K ability. Figuring out who will vulture wins is tough, but I try and get 7th or 8th inning MR on teams with good offenses. Doesn't always work, and there may be a better strategy, but the high Ks and low ERA and WHIP will help in 3 categories.
Dawgpound 1613
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating. 2. Situation; place; locality.

Return to Baseball Leftovers