Can someone help me find an article on Paul Byrd? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Can someone help me find an article on Paul Byrd?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Can someone help me find an article on Paul Byrd?

Postby slomo007 » Fri Apr 08, 2005 1:43 am

I had heard (I think it was on ESPN) that Paul Byrd has developed a new pitch (changeup maybe?) during the offseason and will be using it this year. Can someone find an article confirming this? I am just curious, as I already liked him before, and if this is true I think he really could turn out to be a very valuable pitcher this year.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby slomo007 » Fri Apr 08, 2005 1:49 am

Nevermind, I think I found it...check this out:

Rotoworld wrote:Mar. 13, 2005 - 7:31 am et

Paul Byrd thinks he can win 20 games in his first season with the Angels.
''With this defense and offense, there's no reason I shouldn't win 20 games,'' said Byrd. ''I should be better because I'll have the same stuff, with the addition of a sinker and a curve, and playing for a team that's really good.'' The only hole in Byrd's theory is the fact that he is Paul Byrd. He is 60-53 with a 4.33 ERA in nine seasons in the majors, although he did win 17 games as recently as 2003. The Angels would be thrilled with 15.
Source: Los Angeles Times

Mar. 10, 2005 - 7:56 am et

Paul Byrd is throwing a sinker for the first time in years this spring.
After abandoning the pitch because of elbow problems, Byrd is back to throwing it for the Angels. Byrd has been one of the most extreme fly ball pitchers in baseball in recent years and has had problems keeping the ball in the ballpark, so inducing a few more grounders should be a good thing. ''I was always a fly-ball pitcher,'' Byrd said, ''but now, when there's guys on first and second and no outs, instead of hoping for a shallow fly ball I can get a ground ball.''
Source: Los Angeles Times

To be honest, I am expecting a huge year from him...2 new pitches?! I can't wait for his start tomorrow night against the Royals.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Conner » Fri Apr 08, 2005 1:50 am

Byrd gave up three runs and five hits in five innings Saturday in the Angels' 5-3 win in 10 innings over the Texas Rangers. Byrd said he is working on a palmball to add to his repertoire, a pitch Byrd said is slower than a change-up but faster than an "Eephus' pitch.

http://www.pasadenastarnews.com/Stories ... 68,00.html
Conner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby AtlDynasty25 » Fri Apr 08, 2005 1:52 am

Wow, i picked him up off of the FA list after putting Miller on the DL, i hope he comes through. I'm not gonna start him just yet though. I'll keep him on the pine until he shows us what he has this year. And against a better calliber team than the Royals.
Last edited by AtlDynasty25 on Fri Apr 08, 2005 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
AtlDynasty25
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby slomo007 » Fri Apr 08, 2005 1:52 am

Conner wrote:Byrd gave up three runs and five hits in five innings Saturday in the Angels' 5-3 win in 10 innings over the Texas Rangers. Byrd said he is working on a palmball to add to his repertoire, a pitch Byrd said is slower than a change-up but faster than an "Eephus' pitch.

http://www.pasadenastarnews.com/Stories ... 68,00.html

So 3 new pitches?! Thanks for the article, sounds like he's got a nice little arsenal to choose from. :-b
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby slomo007 » Fri Apr 08, 2005 1:52 am

AtlDynasty25 wrote:Wow, i picked him up off of the FA list after putting Miller on the DL. I'm not gonna start him just yet though. I'll keep him on the pine until he shows us what he has this year. And against a better calliber team than the Royals.

Not going to start him against the Royals? What exactly are you afraid of, bloop singles? :-b
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby AtlDynasty25 » Fri Apr 08, 2005 1:53 am

Wow. I'm wondering how many of these will be effective though. Maybe he should be going for quality over quantity here.
AtlDynasty25
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Pedantic » Fri Apr 08, 2005 1:53 am

Too many pitches is usually a bad sign for pitchers. :-o
Pedantic
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby slomo007 » Fri Apr 08, 2005 1:55 am

Pedantic wrote:Too many pitches is usually a bad sign for pitchers. :-o

I bet he's trying to find his best 4 or 5 and was just experimenting to see what they were. I'll try to remember to watch the game tomorrow night and let you know what he's throwing. Should be interesting.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby AtlDynasty25 » Fri Apr 08, 2005 1:55 am

slomo007 wrote:
AtlDynasty25 wrote:Wow, i picked him up off of the FA list after putting Miller on the DL. I'm not gonna start him just yet though. I'll keep him on the pine until he shows us what he has this year. And against a better calliber team than the Royals.

Not going to start him against the Royals? What exactly are you afraid of, bloop singles? :-b

Haha, no but I'm winning ERA and WHIP pretty easily this week in my H2H, so i have no need to risk it.
AtlDynasty25
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers