Return to General Talk

Mitch Albom falsifies story

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Mitch Albom falsifies story

Postby DieHardCubbie » Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:32 pm

This is from the Detroit Free Press

Mitch Albom apologizes to readers for error in column
April 7, 2005, 4:11 PM

DETROIT (AP) -- Best-selling author Mitch Albom apologized Thursday to readers of the Detroit Free Press for incorrectly reporting that two former Michigan State players attended Saturday's Michigan State-North Carolina NCAA basketball game. He said he wrote the column before the game took place.

Albom said he based the column on what former Michigan State players Mateen Cleaves and Jason Richardson told him they planned to do. He said he wrote the column in the past tense, as if the events already had happened, because the column had to be filed Friday afternoon -- a day before the game -- but would appear Sunday.

The column said the players, who now play in the NBA, "sat in the stands, in their MSU clothing, and rooted on their alma mater." It said Richardson flew in by private plane and that Cleaves flew commercial. The column quoted the players about the differences between life in college and in the NBA.

The Free Press said in a correction Thursday that Cleaves and Richardson were not, in fact, at the game. Albom had interviewed the two last Thursday and Friday about their plans, which changed because of scheduling conflicts, the paper said.

The Free Press said the section in which the column appeared was printed before the game.

Albom, host of a nationally syndicated radio talk show and author of the best-selling books "Tuesdays With Morrie" and "The Five People You Meet in Heaven," said in the column Thursday he should not have assumed that Cleaves and Richardson would be at the game.

"You can't write that something happened that didn't, even if it's just who sat in the stands," he wrote.

"While our deadlines would have required some weird writing -- something like, 'By the time you read this, if Mateen and Jason stuck to their plans, they would have sat in the stands for Saturday's game' -- it should have been done. We have high standards at this newspaper, and I have high standards for myself. We -- the editors and I -- got caught in an assumption that shouldn't have happened. It won't again."

The paper's correction apologized for misleading readers.

"We do not present as fact events that have not occurred," it said.

Carole Leigh Hutton, publisher and editor of the Free Press, said in a telephone interview the incident was "a colossal error in judgment that should have been caught before it ever got to the paper."

"Inexplicably, it didn't," she said.

I have always respected Albom as a writer...but even taking this kind of creative lead way is troublesome... :-o
[b]Useless Trivia of the day[/b]

England's Worcester Canoe Club set the world record for paddling a hand-propelled bathtub. The 25 man team covered a distance of 55 miles, 425 yards in 24 hours on September 28 and 29, 1979.
DieHardCubbie
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:30 pm

And I feel the complete opposite. I've never respected Albom, but I understand that this is common practice.
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Madison » Fri Apr 08, 2005 12:37 am

At least he came out and admitted exactly what happened, and how he should have handled it. I don't read much of his stuff, but I do give him some credit for standing up and admitting this mistake. ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby curious_george_43545 » Fri Apr 08, 2005 12:41 am

Madison wrote:At least he came out and admitted exactly what happened, and how he should have handled it. I don't read much of his stuff, but I do give him some credit for standing up and admitting this mistake. ;-D
I agree with Mad :-o :-o
Go Braves!
curious_george_43545
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Madison » Fri Apr 08, 2005 12:42 am

curious_george_43545 wrote:
Madison wrote:At least he came out and admitted exactly what happened, and how he should have handled it. I don't read much of his stuff, but I do give him some credit for standing up and admitting this mistake. ;-D
I agree with Mad :-o :-o

It's scary to agree with me? :-?

Lol. :-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby JTWood » Fri Apr 08, 2005 7:13 am

I was thinking the same thing, Mad. If the guy comes out publicly about something so small, I wouldn't be too concerned that he's holding out on bigger stories where he did the same thing. Now maybe he's done this before, but maybe the stories have turned out to be true later making his assumption acceptable.

Overall, it's not like he falsified the President's service record here or anything.

:-)
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Irish » Fri Apr 08, 2005 12:09 pm

We should all hate Cleeves and Richardson for lying. Those coniving bastards....

The poor reporter was duped by 2 evil masterminds obviously. ;-D
Irish
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Lofunzo » Fri Apr 08, 2005 5:01 pm

I don't see the big deal and I commend his for correcting a wrong.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Kingctb27 » Fri Apr 08, 2005 6:09 pm

I'm with Lo, whats the point.....
Kingctb27
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Champion

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Fri Apr 08, 2005 11:44 pm

JTWood wrote:If the guy comes out publicly about something so small, I wouldn't be too concerned that he's holding out on bigger stories where he did the same thing.

Or you could view everything from the cynical side like me and think that he's letting this out so people will think that and he can cover up bigger stories. OK, I've got issues. O:-)

Anyway, I agree with Lo, what's the big deal? :-?
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Next

Return to General Talk