PC hardware guys? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

PC hardware guys?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

PC hardware guys?

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:19 pm

My computer's been on the DL for about a month now and needless to say I'm pretty desperate to get it back up and running. :-/ I'm trying to learn, but I'm still not very good with diagnosing hardware issues (I'm 99% sure that's what the problem is here) but this one's got me -- and a couple friends -- completely stumped. So here's the problem in a nutshell:

When I turn the computer on, it seems to power up fine for about 3 seconds, then shuts itself off. I'm worried that I've fried the processor somehow (see background info below) and I'd like to be able to tell what else (if anything) has been damaged without continuing the trial and error method I've been using so far with no success. I guess I'm basically asking is there an easy way I can determine if the CPU is in fact damaged? :-[

For a little background -- and please don't laugh :-D -- on how I got in this mess. I had a really nice water-cooled Koolance PC2 system (that a friend helped me put together) and it was running great for about six months. Then I sat something on the radiator fans while I was digging in a drawer next to the computer, causing the system to overheat. After I cleaned up the mess, everything worked fine, except the pumps wouldn't pump anymore, which meant the system ran too hot and after a little bit it would shut itself down (a feature of the case, not the mobo). After that I tried to get in touch with Koolance about the pump situation, but they were taking forever, so I decided to run it as a good old air cooled system until I get the case straightened out.

***Now this is where I think I really screwed up. :-o***
To turn it into an air cooled system temporarily, I first took a CPU heat sink/fan from a scrap computer at work and tried to modify it to fit my motherboard. I'm pretty sure that that didn't work (hence the fear I've fried the CPU), so to be on the safe side I ordered a CPU heat sink/fan from NewEgg that was compatible with my motherboard and now I'm in the situation above. Oh, and if you have any suggestions for the case problem, I'm all ears. :-D

Sorry for such a long post, but hopefully you get an idea of what I've done. O:-) I don't know if that's enough info, but hopefully someone can at least come up with some suggestions -- anything would be much appreciated. I've thought about just ordering a new CPU from NewEgg then returning it if that didn't work, since I'm more than willing to just eat the restocking fee at this point. :-/

Relevant Specs:
-- Processor: AMD Athlon XP Barton 3000+
-- Mobo: Albatron KX18D Pro II

Let me know if you need any more info and I'll try to help as much as I can. O:-)
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Mercer Boy » Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:23 pm

I don't have a clue about this stuff, but Dazedncnfz on the Football side is a big computer guy. Maybe you could send him a message about it? :-?
The One, The Only, The Incomparable Mercer Boy.
MySpace blog (updated 6/21 - Pirates walkout.)
Mercer Boy
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:32 pm

Mercer Boy wrote:I don't have a clue about this stuff, but Dazedncnfz on the Football side is a big computer guy. Maybe you could send him a message about it? :-?

Cool. I'll try that. ;-D
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Amazinz » Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:40 pm

It's highly doubtful that you killed the processor that quickly due to over-heating. Electromigration is a slow process.

BUT if the processor/mobo is running too hot it could be what is causing the reboots. When you say it stays powered on for a short time does it get through the BIOS boot and does your OS load?
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Fri Apr 08, 2005 10:57 am

I don't think anything has time to actually boot up -- BIOS or OS. :-? When you push the power button the fans barely have time to get going before it's off again.
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Amazinz » Fri Apr 08, 2005 11:42 am

Do the fans die at that point too? If so it's your power supply.

If not, are you still over-clocked? Did you try resetting to spec?
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby JTWood » Fri Apr 08, 2005 12:30 pm

Man... I used to know all of this crap, but after having a Mac for two years, I feel like a total ignoramus when it comes to PCs now.

:-/
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby acsguitar » Fri Apr 08, 2005 3:04 pm

A. What kind of beeps does it make when it starts?
B. Can you get to the bios?
C. Can you ensure that all fans are running correctly?
D. Does any thing pop up on the monitor at all?
E. Are there error messages?
F. Are there any smells?? Yes I'm serious.

Answer those best you can and Ill try to help
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Fri Apr 08, 2005 11:21 pm

acsguitar wrote:A. What kind of beeps does it make when it starts?
None

B. Can you get to the bios?
No, it doesn't stay on long enough to do anything at all

C. Can you ensure that all fans are running correctly?
Well, yes and no. The case fans are fine. To get the air bubbles out of the tubing (when the pumps are working) you jump two pins on the ATX from the PSU and they power the case control board and case fans, but not the motherboard. Therefore I'm pretty sure the PSU is alright. The CPU heatsink and the motherboard heatsink (both with fans connected to the MB) I'm not sure though. They come on, but then shut off with the rest of the computer, so they could be bad I guess, but I didn't have them connected before everything messed up. :-?

D. Does any thing pop up on the monitor at all?
No

E. Are there error messages?
No

F. Are there any smells?? Yes I'm serious.
There was for a time, but not now. I blew all the dust out of the PSU and now the smells are gone. Since I can run the case fans/control board as long as I want with the ATX jumper, that's why I keep saying the PSU is OK, but then again, I have no idea what I'm talking about.

Answer those best you can and Ill try to help

Through my own "testing" -- and a willing friends computer -- I've eliminated the vid card, HD, and RAM from the list of possible sources, but then again they weren't really high on the list. :-D And no, I'm not overclocking.....yet. O:-)

As usual, I appreciate all the help. :-)
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Amazinz » Sat Apr 09, 2005 12:10 am

Why a water-cooled system on a non-overclocked CPU? Just cool factor? ;-)

Have you pulled the CPU out and booted the system? If the problem was a faulty CPU the computer will start and stay on w/o the CPU. Of course it won't do anything else. If it fails to boot than you have to consider the mobo.
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Next

Return to General Talk