Kevin Mench isn't playing tonight because... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Kevin Mench isn't playing tonight because...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Kevin Mench isn't playing tonight because...

Postby AI8818 » Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:02 pm

Why? I thought he'd be an everyday starter...I mean, he didn't get injured, and he doesn't have any kind of sickness or virus. Does anyone know? Cause if he isn't gonna be an everyday player, he's gone from my team. Or, maybe Im just going crazy over this little thing?
AI8818
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby t2green2 » Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:57 pm

I would say just a regular day off nothing more. He had 2 hits last night but did leave 5 runners on in his first 2 at bats. Until I read differently thats what I am guessing
t2green2
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Re: Kevin Mench isn't playing tonight because...

Postby jayman » Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:01 pm

AI8818 wrote:Why? I thought he'd be an everyday starter...I mean, he didn't get injured, and he doesn't have any kind of sickness or virus. Does anyone know? Cause if he isn't gonna be an everyday player, he's gone from my team. Or, maybe Im just going crazy over this little thing?

I'm with you. I don't get it. A day off a couple games into the season?
jayman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby warrick95 » Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:01 pm

That situation is a tad bit messy. They have Dellucci, Mench, and Gonzalez to play at two spots. Hidalgo's pretty much entrenched in RF unless he seriously chokes. I think Showalter likes Matthews, Jr.'s defense in center. I suppose you'd better watch out if Adrian Gonzalez (ex-#1 pick...think Olerudlike with more power) ends up playing good baseball to warrant playing time. In addition, Laynce Nix getting called back up would be bad for PT, too...since that'd just add another OF into the mix. For now, I think Mench will still definitely be the starter, but will get a bit more time off than the regular outfielder.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Turnip » Fri Apr 08, 2005 12:22 am

warrick95 has it right...and this was to be expected
Turnip from the FFCafe!
Turnip
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby slomo007 » Fri Apr 08, 2005 12:59 am

Adrian (IMO) took a HUGE step towards locking up the DH spot against righties, in only his first start. He battled Lackey (who was on fire tonight) in a 15 pitch at bat, only to take a walk...which lead to a 4 run inning and the Rangers taking the lead after the offense had been anemic all night. Lackey was pulled in the same inning...so basically, he took the red-hot Lackey out of the game pretty much single handedly. If he continues hitting like this, he'll DH against righties for sure.

That would leave Matthews Jr. in center typically (Showalter likes him) and Mench/Dellucci in left. Mench's value really takes a hit if Adrian continues playing like he did tonight. He's a very impressive youngster...but moreso from a real life POV than a fantasy POV. Also, Mench's defense is marginal at best, and Dellucci and Matthews are both great defensively.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Return to Baseball Leftovers