New Year.... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to New York Mets

New Year....

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Amazinz » Mon Jun 27, 2005 2:34 am

wrveres wrote:As for retirement. I don't see it. Somebody will give him a three year deal easily.

I absolutely agree that if he wants to play someone will sign him. Most likely an AL team if it comes to that but Piazza has the demeanor of someone who is ready to retire. You can tell in his voice when he talks about it that it just kills him that he's a shadow of his former self.

wrveres wrote:.247 versus righthanded pitching, is not going to win you anything. Omar should be selling, not buying. He just doesn't see it yet.

Oh come on now. BA is a garbage stat even at the team level. The Mets are currently #8 out of 16 NL teams in their ability to score runs. The Mets have the offense and the pitching to be competitive although I'd agree that the Mets should be sellers rather than buyers.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby wrveres » Mon Jun 27, 2005 3:24 am

Amazinz wrote:
wrveres wrote:.247 versus righthanded pitching, is not going to win you anything. Omar should be selling, not buying. He just doesn't see it yet.

Oh come on now. BA is a garbage stat even at the team level. The Mets are currently #8 out of 16 NL teams in their ability to score runs. The Mets have the offense and the pitching to be competitive although I'd agree that the Mets should be sellers rather than buyers.

Okay ..

Does a .700 OPS against rightys make it sound rosier? :-)

Figure Atlanta wins the East. O:-)
That leaves the Mets in the Wild Card hunt against Washington, Florida, Chicago, Philadelphia, Arizona and LA.

A .700 OPS against, is not just not going to get it done.
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 744)

Postby Lofunzo » Mon Jun 27, 2005 7:47 am

Amazinz wrote:
wrveres wrote:Well guys, Its almost July 1st, and the Mets are in last place.
Hate to revive an old topic, but do you think the Mets will trade Piazza now that they are out of it? ;-7

Hey the Mets are only 4 games back of the Wild Card and 7 games back of 1st place in the most competitive division in baseball. I could think of better scenarios but heading into the AS break, I'll take it. They've still got a shot to win this thing and from the looks of it have a hell of team for the years to come.

Now as far as Piazza I don't see it happening. I just think that he'll retire a Met at the end of the year and the Mets will sign Ramon Hernandez. Not that I think a trade is out of the question but who is going to take on his contract and make a deal that is attractive to the Mets? The Angels may be the best match but it still seems very unlikely to me.

The Mets aren't that far back but they are an overall disappointment to me. I didn't think that they'd be great with that bullpen but I find it odd that their record is equal to or worse than last year's at this point and that is after getting Pedro and Beltran, a healthy Reyes, and a more experienced Wright. Plus, they are getting a full season from the guy that they dealt their top SP prospect for. ;-7

bigh0rt wrote:
wrveres wrote:Well guys, Its almost July 1st, and the Mets are in last place.
Hate to revive an old topic, but do you think the Mets will trade Piazza now that they are out of it? ;-7

I agree with Amazina sentiments on our chances from today forward. Omar Minaya has said publicly that heading into the deadline, we will be buyers this year.

Question: Who wants Piazza? I don't even think he's good enough to DH in the AL at this point... I think if there was interest in him, the Mets would not hesitate to pull the trigger if the right deal came along. That said, I don't think a deal will come along, and he'll just retire in blue and oraange at year's end (hopefully). You can't say many bad things about Big Mike, though. The man revived the Mets team, put every ass in Shea in their seat for a good long time, and did great things during his time here.

What is Minaya gonna say?? That they are gonna be out of it and not buyers?? I could see him making a move but he is on record as saying that he doesn't want to deal youth and that he won't make any deals (as a buyer) unless they are leading so a deal could give them more separation.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 18)

Postby Amazinz » Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:48 am

The Mets have been a dissapointment. This is a pretty good team that is electric, unfortunately only at times and they have underachieved. If they can find some semblance of consistency they'll be a force in the division. The bullpen is good enough to win with and the fact that the Mets are hovering around .500 can't be placed on their shoulders. They could be improved but they are worlds better than all the naysayers were trying to suggest they'd be going into the season.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to New York Mets