ESPN Smokes Crack - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

ESPN Smokes Crack

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby SouthBronxBombers » Thu Apr 07, 2005 4:35 pm

They're not saying that Rivera is not a proven closer. Get a grip.
SouthBronxBombers
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DaQ » Thu Apr 07, 2005 4:36 pm

The answer is B. I don't know why he can';t beat hte BoSox, but he's still a great closer when he's normal.

This is probably the only time I can say this all year (being a Mets fan):

Who has more blown saves - Looper or MoRivera? :-b
DaQ
General Manager
General Manager

Postby wieds » Thu Apr 07, 2005 4:49 pm

I don't think ESPN is posting this because they think there is a problem.

They are posting this because the Yankees have more fans than any other team in baseball and more enemies. By posting a poll that is related to the Yankees they will generate more 'hits' and interest than if they were posting something about the K.C. Royals (no offense KC, but lets be honest)

I'm sure the people at ESPN could care less how the poll turns out, its all about viewership
wieds
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Transmogrifier » Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:02 pm

I think this is a silly question, too, but blaming Rivera's blown save on Arod is really, really silly. Rivera loaded the bases with no outs. He walked the leadoff batter on five pitches, then allowed singles to Bellhorn and Damon... Arod made a mistake, sure, but River made many more, and then made it worse. No way Arod turns two there. At best, he gets the out at home, considering his momentum. Ortiz's dribbler would have still tied the game, and Renteria would have sealed it.

He walked Dave McCarty, people. This wasn't Arod.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Conner » Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:19 pm

Transmogrifier wrote:No way Arod turns two there.

I don't even feel like arguing with you....But yes he does.

Rivera did load the bases...But then he struck a better out, and got a double play ground ball that A-Rod completely screwed up.

Nobody would be talking about this if A-Rod fields that play properly. In fact...The sky would be falling in Boston, after getting swept by the Yankees, and not even looking good doing it.
Conner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby WharfRat » Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:09 pm

Conner wrote:

Rivera did load the bases...But then he struck a better out, and got a double play ground ball that A-Rod completely screwed up.

Nobody would be talking about this if A-Rod fields that play properly. In fact...The sky would be falling in Boston, after getting swept by the Yankees, and not even looking good doing it.

I agree that if ARod fields that ball cleanly, the Sox most likely do not score -- even with Ortiz (I think?) up, it's a round ball and a round bat and it's tough to hit it square. But turning two? Never a given. Some blown saves haven't been Mo's fault, but yesterday was definitely all him. Dude couldn't even throw a %$*% strike, even though I was yelling at him to do so from my office.
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Conner » Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:22 pm

WharfRat wrote:
Conner wrote:

I agree that if ARod fields that ball cleanly, the Sox most likely do not score -- even with Ortiz (I think?) up, it's a round ball and a round bat and it's tough to hit it square. But turning two? Never a given.

A-Rod is a gold glove fielder.

He's got a gun for an arm.

The ball was hit right at him, fairly hard.

Most importantly, Manny Ramirez hit the ball.

It absolutely would have been an easy double play, if it's fielded properly. There's not a single ounce of doubt in my mind about that.
Conner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Transmogrifier » Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:39 pm

Conner wrote:
WharfRat wrote:
Conner wrote:

I agree that if ARod fields that ball cleanly, the Sox most likely do not score -- even with Ortiz (I think?) up, it's a round ball and a round bat and it's tough to hit it square. But turning two? Never a given.

It absolutely would have been an easy double play, if it's fielded properly. There's not a single ounce of doubt in my mind about that.

What you're doing is taking a difficult double play for granted, and shifting the blame from a completely ineffective pitcher onto Arod. It's nonsensical.

Look, I think Rivera will be fine, but he stunk yesterday. Absolutely stunk. And, yes, we would still be talking about this even if Arod turned two.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Conner » Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:43 pm

Transmogrifier wrote:
Conner wrote:
WharfRat wrote:
Conner wrote:

What you're doing is taking a difficult double play for granted, and shifting the blame from a completely ineffective pitcher onto Arod. It's nonsensical.

What you're doing is taking an easy double play and calling it difficult.

Also...There is no "blame" from me, towards anyone. It was the third game of the season.

Yea...they lost, and two incredibly good players screwed up. Oh well. They'll be fine....That's all I'm saying.
Conner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Transmogrifier » Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:48 pm

You said if Arod makes a double play we wouldn't be talking about it. Not true.

And an "easy" double play is not one hit to a third baseman ranging to his right. Unless he can run to third and gun it to first, he has to throw across his body to second base. It's not an easy play. If he fields that cleanly, I bet he would have gone home.

Anyways, my point is Rivera screwed up. Saying it wouldn't have been an issue if Arod turned two is not the point.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers