Postby delux_247 » Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:32 am

Any updates on his knee?
delux_247
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Amazinz » Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:46 am

Bone bruise, won't play today.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby tomkatt » Thu Apr 07, 2005 12:18 pm

Probably going to miss the next two starts for sure, and maybe more is what I've heard.
tomkatt
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby LBJackal » Thu Apr 07, 2005 12:55 pm

Yeah Cox said he's out for at least 3 days... I think he said that yesterday. Why can't this guy just play normally? Everybody applauds people who have no regard for their body, but by doing that they have no regard for their team either... or their *^$%*$@# fantasy owners!

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby prodpaul » Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:35 pm

LBJackal wrote:Yeah Cox said he's out for at least 3 days... I think he said that yesterday. Why can't this guy just play normally? Everybody applauds people who have no regard for their body, but by doing that they have no regard for their team either... or their *^$%*$@# fantasy owners!

Yeah I was just glad my backup (Miles) was in coors for a few games. ;-D

Tetelestai
prodpaul
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Krunk City King$ » Thu Apr 07, 2005 6:11 pm

;-D

Braves Baseball
Giles injury not so bad

MIAMI - The Braves say an M-R-I performed on second-baseman Marcus Giles' left knee was negative, meaning he could get back in action this weekend.

Giles returned from Miami to Atlanta yesterday to have the test after being hurt in Tuesday night's season-opener against the Marlins.

The Braves say the M-R-I determined that he had a deep bone bruise. He wants to play in tomorrow night's home opener, but team officials says it is more likely that he will return on Sunday or Monday.

Pete Orr made his first career start last night and will continue filling in at second base. Orr singled for his first major-league hit leading off the third last night. He advanced on a sacrifice and came home on a two-out single by Chipper Jones to make the score 1-all.

http://www.wtoctv.com/Global/story.asp? ... v=0qq9YPJQ

Giles returns to Atlanta for MRI
Results show no serious damage to left knee
By Mark Bowman / MLB.com

MIAMI -- When Marcus Giles awoke on Wednesday morning with a swollen and stiff left knee, it was thought that the miserable events of the previous 24 hours might have a lingering effect on the Braves.
Fortunately, they won't in relation to Giles.

Using precaution, the Braves opted to send Giles back to Atlanta on Wednesday afternoon to have an MRI performed on his knee. The results were negative -- it was determined that he had a deep bone bruise, meaning that he could return to action this weekend.

"I don't know if he's flying back tomorrow or not," said manager Bobby Cox said after Wednesday's 13-inning victory over the Marlins at Dolphins Stadium. "He probably can't play, but he's fine, in that respect. There's nothing torn or broken."

The Braves weren't surprised at all to hear that there wasn't any ligament damage. However, there was more swelling than they expected on Wednesday morning, and they simply thought it would be best to take precautionary measures.

Giles has asked team officials if he could play in Friday's home opener, but it's more likely that he'll return on either Sunday or Monday.

In the meantime, Pete Orr, who made his first career start on Wednesday night, will continue filling in for Giles.

"We were talking yesterday about him and [Furcal] being the fuel [to the offense]," said Orr. "So the sooner we get him back, the better."

After hurting his knee while sliding into second base in Tuesday's 9-0 Opening Day loss to the Marlins, Giles gutted through another five innings. It was as if he wanted to do anything to prevent having the "injury prone" label stuck upon him.

Giles was unable to make his start in the 2003 All-Star Game because he suffered a concussion just four days before the game. He sustained a major ankle injury in his 2002 rookie season, and last year missed two months with a broken collarbone.

"It didn't take Gilly long -- a half of an inning," said Cox.

Because Cox could halfheartedly offer this humorous line, it was apparent that he was hopeful that the results of the MRI would be negative and that the Braves would find something positive to pull from their painful Opening Day experience against the Marlins.

Mark Bowman is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/arti ... p&c_id=mlb
Krunk City King$
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 14)

Postby LBJackal » Thu Apr 07, 2005 6:38 pm

Well as long as it's only a few days I don't mind... I can slide Lugo to 2B and start Vizquel for a couple days. He can still hit and has a SB in each game so far.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Return to Baseball Leftovers