2002 6x6 Batter Rankings - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2002 6x6 Batter Rankings

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

2002 6x6 Batter Rankings

Postby Slant » Sun Dec 29, 2002 4:23 am

If anyone is interested I can send this by email or maybe someone could tell me where I could post this.

This spreadsheet ranks the batters based on their 2002 stats.

The players are compared to an average player at their position (where they played the most games). An average player would score a 0% in the TOTAL column. Worse than average players score a negative number.

This system gives an advantage to players who perform well in areas where other players of their position do not perform as well. For example, a catcher who stole 10 bases would be extremely above average in that category, while a shortstop who stole 10 bases would be slighly below average in that category. Likewise, a second basemen with 40 RBIs is a bit above average, while a first basemen with 40 RBIs is significantly below average.

This system uses the following stats (the same ones used in this league): R, HR, RBI, SB, AVG, and OPS

To see the rankings, click the "Batting 2002" tab at the bottom. The "Fielding 2002" tab is only used to determine the players' position. The "Master" tab is used for the players' first and last names. The "Position Totals" tab computes the totals and averages at each position.

Players with less than 130 at-bats are not counted by this system.

You can filter by position or team by using the drop-down menus. You can sort by any stat by selecting all the data, then selecting "Sort" from the "Data" menu.

Obviously, the system isn't perfect. Certain players disrupt the accuracy of the system. Aaron Boone is not the 12th best hitter in the MLB, and Rich Aurilia is not the closest to average either. Most of these rankings are pretty accurate though.

The only problem is that the AVG and OPS categories are not weighted. This means that someone hitting .300 in 130 at bats is the same as someone hitting .300 in 550 at bats.

I'll try to get pitchers done, but after all, it is vacation.
Slant

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Arlo » Mon Dec 30, 2002 11:06 pm

Sounds interesting, slant. If you send this to me by email (mailto:arlo@fantasybaseballcafe.com), I'll give it a look and figure out the best way to post it.

Thanks - look forward to seeing the results! ;-D
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Me Too

Postby yeyo44 » Thu Jan 02, 2003 12:04 pm

I too would like a copy of these reports, I really would like to get a jump on the rest of my league. Thanks alot, you can send it to mailto:yeyo44@yahoo.com
yeyo44
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby arkman » Fri Jan 03, 2003 11:30 am

I wouldn't mind having a look.

Last year in the spring I put together a web site for free Fantasy Baseball software. I ended up getting a few really good software donations and quite a few downloads. The site is still up and running, but hasn't been updated in some time. I'd start updating it again and accept submissions if people were interested.

Anyway, the address is: http://www.genner.on.ca/noahville/freebie/roto.html
Have a look!

--Arkman
arkman
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Mock(ing) Drafter

Return to Baseball Leftovers