Eaton? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Eaton?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Eaton?

Postby quietstorm » Thu Apr 07, 2005 12:12 am

Who watched the Padres/Rockies game? Looking at Eaton's stats, it seems like it was a good game for him. A home run, yes, but at Coors that's hardly unexpected.

7K, 2BB in 4.2 innings, though, looks good. (4.2 innings... ugh... that means no win in my H2H league.)
Your wisemen don't know how it feels to be thick as a brick...
quietstorm
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Dodger Blue » Thu Apr 07, 2005 12:35 am

He is a middle of the road decent pitcher nothing else.
Dodger Blue
General Manager
General Manager

Postby quietstorm » Thu Apr 07, 2005 12:39 am

Remember, last year there was question as to whether Peavy or Eaton was better. I expect a good year from Eaton, this year. He's like Kerry Wood lite, more or less, to this point. Last year, he was fantastic in some starts, atrocious in others, for a mediocre overall performance.
quietstorm
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Frank Dux » Thu Apr 07, 2005 12:41 am

I saw the game. Overall, I'd say Adam Eaton did okay. He was hitting 93-94 mph with his fastball and, judging by the Ks, did a good job mixing his change-up and curveball with his heater. He was pulled in the 5th after a little rally by the Rockies, - a rally ignited by a Mark Loretta error. Like I said, he was okay today, but seemed to unravel after the Loretta error. Also, he might have tweaked his back a little bit in the 5th (I'm not sure since I was not really paying attention at that time). Lastly, Eaton had 100+ pitches at the time of his departure. If you're looking to pick him up, I say wait another start or so (this is coming from a Padres fan). ;-D
Frank Dux
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby hybrid » Thu Apr 07, 2005 12:41 am

I saw most of the game. He had good stuff and pitched pretty well, he just threw to many pitches (108 when he was taken out). All and all it wasn't that bad for a game at Coors, but he needs to be more efficient if he ever wants to take a step up pitching wise.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby quietstorm » Thu Apr 07, 2005 12:46 am

Sounds like what I thought, then... primarily an efficiency issue, still. He needs to get a good pitching coach to help him out with that...
quietstorm
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby JoeSoCal » Thu Apr 07, 2005 12:50 am

hybrid wrote:I saw most of the game. He had good stuff and pitched pretty well, he just threw to many pitches (108 when he was taken out). All and all it wasn't that bad for a game at Coors, but he needs to be more efficient if he ever wants to take a step up pitching wise.

A couple of errors in an inning will force you to throw extra pitches. It will also force you to exert a lot more energy (mentally and physically) in order to get out of the jam.
JoeSoCal
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Frank Dux » Thu Apr 07, 2005 12:51 am

Quietstorm:

The thing is, Eaton already has a good pitching coach. Darren Balsley has worked wonders with this staff since his promotion to the Padres. Balsley thinks highly of Eaton too (he thinks Eaton can be a 20-game winner), but as Padre fans know, Eaton's problems stem from mechanical issues. According to Eaton, he's been focusing on correcting the mechanical problems. I guess well just have to wait and see if he can follow through.
Frank Dux
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby hybrid » Thu Apr 07, 2005 12:54 am

JoeSoCal wrote:A couple of errors in an inning will force you to throw extra pitches. It will also force you to exert a lot more energy (mentally and physically) in order to get out of the jam.

Only one of the errors would of been an out, the other one just let a runner advance to the next base. 108 pitches through 4 2/3 innings is bad even if you have an error.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Pedantic » Thu Apr 07, 2005 12:57 am

Jeez, it was Coors Field for crying out loud. Give the man a break. At least he struck out seven. :-b
Pedantic
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers