Wilkerson hits for cycle - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Wilkerson hits for cycle

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

A Bomb

Postby baseballrich » Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:22 pm

I was at the game tonight. The HR was a BOMB of major proportion. He hit it mid-way up in the 2nd deck in Philly. Not your normal lead off guy - but he gets on base alot
baseballrich
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: A Bomb

Postby perlick29 » Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:27 pm

baseballrich wrote:I was at the game tonight. The HR was a BOMB of major proportion. He hit it mid-way up in the 2nd deck in Philly. Not your normal lead off guy - but he gets on base alot

where'd you sit? I was in section 421. Isn't it strange that Philly fans cheered louder for Jeremiah Trotter than any Philly? :-?
Forget the man crush. I drop what I'm doing to watch Zack Greinke pitch.
perlick29
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafecasterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Kingctb27 » Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:30 pm

Great job in my TB league ;-D
Kingctb27
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Champion

Postby Cooner » Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:31 pm

Jimbo OZ wrote:
Pedantic wrote:Why would they move him down? The leadoff hitter should get on base, and lo and behold, that's exactly his forte. Anyone can knock in runs, not everyone can get on base. Besides, he'll probably see more steals in the leadoff position.

Getting on base is important but his on base skills can be used just as effectively in the number 2-5 spots aswell. However, his power is wasted in the one spot completely. Last year, for instance, he hit 32 HRs and 39 doubles but only drove in 67 RBIs from the leadoff spot.

That's 39 times they had a chance to score a run with one hit! Or even two sacrafices and it's a run... I'd LOVE to have a guy who got to second with no outs that many times.
Cooner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby AcidRock23 » Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:42 pm

This is awesome news, I've been up and downstairs watching the Cubs game and posting and cleaning the house (about in that order...) and saw the 4 for 4 but missed the cycle!! I've got him on 2 teams so I'll have to get warmed up on some smack talking for tomarrow!! Unfortunately, it's looking grim on doing any of that for the Cubs' game.. :,-(

I wonder if they might have him leadoff vs. the Phils who's SP have been such basket cases for the last couple of years but might move him back more in different situations?

*golf claps* for the Phillies' fans though, nice gesture of them to applaud an opponent who's on both my teams!! :-D :-D
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby CBV » Thu Apr 07, 2005 12:18 am

Mustangs989 wrote:I agree that he's best suited for the leadoff spot, high OBP which is exactly what you want at the top of the order.

BTW Welcome to the Cafe ;-D And for future references this probably goes in the Game Commentary Forum ;-)

this is offtopic. couldnt help to notice there mustangs your from chicago and a cubs fan. why the north carolina avatar? the illini gave that game to them, north carolina escaped with that one. :-t
Vaughn: What's that sh*t on your chest?

Harris: Crisco, Bardol, Vagisil. Any one of them will give you another two to three inches drop on your curve ball.

Crisco Bardol Vagisil
CBV
College Coach
College Coach

Location: Home of 2005 World Series Champs! Beverly-South Side Chicago * GO SOX *

Postby AcidRock23 » Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:28 am

CBV wrote:
this is offtopic. couldnt help to notice there mustangs your from chicago and a cubs fan. why the north carolina avatar? the illini gave that game to them, north carolina escaped with that one. :-t

I certainly concur w/ your assessment of the game!! I am in Champaign and have had about enough of the 'gosh, what a great season, we are so proud of them even though they lost' stuff that has FLOODED the local media here. Sheesh, they played 1 good quarter out of 4 and lost by 5 points. Roy Williams ought to go buy a lottery ticket!!

Re the avatars, I didn't actually see this particular case but, in many cases, people bet avatars w/ people with whom they have heated rivalries ("If we lose, I will put [ARod/ Johnny Damon] in my avatar for a year").

AcidDaughter 'liked' North Carolina briefly one day as they matched her dress...
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby Mustangs989 » Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:36 am

CBV wrote:
Mustangs989 wrote:I agree that he's best suited for the leadoff spot, high OBP which is exactly what you want at the top of the order.

BTW Welcome to the Cafe ;-D And for future references this probably goes in the Game Commentary Forum ;-)

Well being that I live in Iowa, I don't exactly like the Illini too much, also my dad went to school at UNC so I was brought up liking them ;-) ;-D
Mustangs989
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers