Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby agchris02 » Sat Apr 09, 2005 4:30 am

Madison wrote:Why am I getting a weird "Matt Riley all over again" vibe from this thread? :-o

:-b

lol, yep i agree

that aside, in those 14 team leagues where some of us banked on riley -- well there are dozen bellhorn like players out there, ill take my chances -- if he stinks i can go back to hitting the wire anyways
Jackalope
agchris02
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby thehat » Sat Apr 09, 2005 4:38 am

Cantu's range is .260-.280 with 20 HR potential thanks to an off season training regimen that gained him 20 pounds.

The downside is this guy almost never walks...once around the league and he figures to tail off, but by that time he could have significant trade value. As I've stated elsewhere, he's worth owning as a useful utility guy, and even moreso if your league is populated with manic owners who read too much into a hot or cold week.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Turnip » Sat Apr 09, 2005 6:32 am

I had been using Todd Walker as my 2B until Biggio qualifies...after seeing Todd sit against a lefty and Cantu homer again, I dropped Walker for Cantu.

That said I wouldn't drop someone you feel comfortable with at 2B for him, with these type of hot starts I would only risk a reserve drop.
Turnip from the FFCafe!
Turnip
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Rookies » Sat Apr 09, 2005 9:50 am

From the Baseball Prospectus:

"Cantu had been sneakily elevating himself as a prospect when he broke out big in a big way in 2004, smashing 53 doubles and 25 home runs between Triple-A and the majors, shattering his previous season highs of 31 and 7. Trying to prove it wasn't a fluke, he was hitting for an isolated power of about. 250 in winter ball at this writing. Cantu doesn't walk, and sooner or later major league pitchers are going to figure that out and start working him out of the zone. But for the moment he's got the inside track on the 2005 second-base job."
Don't try to strike everyone out. Strikeouts are boring besides that they're fascist. Throw some ground balls it's more democratic. - Crash Davis
Rookies
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby slomo007 » Sat Apr 09, 2005 11:34 am

Madison wrote:Why am I getting a weird "Matt Riley all over again" vibe from this thread? :-o

Mad, now that's he's a Ranger you can't knock on Riley. Besides, he has looked good so far in Texas, and I think he'll be in the rotation as soon as Chan Ho realizes he's actually healthy.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby TheRock » Sat Apr 09, 2005 12:07 pm

Was thinking the same thing as I read through this thread. I still have nightmares about "The Riley Incident".
TheRock
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 6)

Postby Rude Boy » Sat Apr 09, 2005 1:52 pm

thanks people thats what I was looking for some past stats from this guy. I wouldn't say matt riley though. I remember when M. Cabrera broke out last year with his power numbers if you look at Cantu stats he has been getting better has he grows in age like most stars in this league.

Who said they would take Durham over this guy?????? lol
Rude Boy
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Yoda » Sat Apr 09, 2005 2:37 pm

regardless of whether he is for real or not, he's white hot and definitely worth starting right now. He is exactly the reason why you have a bench spot. Not sure if I would drop any of my starters for him but if you are cutting someone sitting on the bench, then you get him for nothing.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers