Not fantasy related....but still a baseball question! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Not fantasy related....but still a baseball question!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Not fantasy related....but still a baseball question!

Postby 4Pack » Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:16 pm

Another messageboard I am on is having a debate on Cal Ripken's consecutive game streak. My question is....what is considered "starting a game"? If Cal had stepped on the field for just the first inning and was pulled...would the game still count as part of his streak? Another poster claims that he would have had to play 5 innings to consider it part of the streak.
4Pack
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bd3521 » Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:24 pm

I don't think that applys to GS. Pretty positive after first pitch it counts as a GS for "streaks" and eligibility.
[url]http://www.footballguys.com/05vbdrevisited.htm[/url]
bd3521
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Conner » Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:29 pm

I'm pretty sure that the other poster is an idiot.

I don't believe he'd even have to get an at bat, or play on the field...

He could put put in as the 9th hitter, and have someone else take his spot in the field after the first half inning (if his team's batting first).

Either way...I highly doubt that he'd have to play 5 innings.
Conner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby sportsgalore » Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:31 pm

i think he's confused it with pitching 5 innings to get the WIN
sportsgalore
College Coach
College Coach

Postby jellyroll » Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:31 pm

I think the record is for "consecutive Games Played". so one pitch either as batter or defense would count as a game played. I don't think Cal started all the games during the streak. but could be wrong.
jellyroll
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby ajgnydc722 » Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:32 pm

I actually think he does have to play 5 innings. I remember watching his Gherig-breaking game on ESPN Classic and they annoucned after the 5th inning I think that the record is officially broken.

I could be wrong though, don't hold me to it.
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Conner » Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:34 pm

jellyroll wrote:I think the record is for "consecutive Games Played". so one pitch either as batter or defense would count as a game played. I don't think Cal started all the games during the streak. but could be wrong.

That was my understanding, as well. I don't think it was a consecutive games started streak, in the first place...

Could be wrong, though...I guess.
Conner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Armed and Hammered » Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:36 pm

ajgnydc722 wrote:I actually think he does have to play 5 innings. I remember watching his Gherig-breaking game on ESPN Classic and they annoucned after the 5th inning I think that the record is officially broken.

I could be wrong though, don't hold me to it.

This is because after the 5th the game was official.

All he needs is to be in the lineup during a pitch for him to be down as a game played in my eye. Don't have the written rule though.
Armed and Hammered
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby smelson » Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:38 pm

Well I remember watching that game and I distinctly remember them stopping the game after the 5th inning to make it "official." That's when the banner dropped with the number of games he had played to break the streak, and that's also when he circled the park slapping hands with the fans and players. I'm positive that all of this took place after the 5th inning.

Take it for what it's worth i guess. I'm not sure if that means that you have to play at least through the 5th for it to count as a consecutive game, but I do know that Ripken had to wait until the 5th to officially celebrate the record breaking day.
smelson
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Armed and Hammered » Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:43 pm

Pretend they did the huge celebration after the 1st inning and then clouds broke and the game got pissed on for 3 hours and cancelled. After the 5th it is official. Thinking he has to play 5 innings is crazy.
Armed and Hammered
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers