MLB TV PROXY SEVERS _ LEGALITY - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

MLB TV PROXY SEVERS _ LEGALITY

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby toofunnyy » Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:52 pm

Someone needs to read thier own posts.

"Note that any attempt is punishable as terrorism. As such, if MLB claims that you intended to do significant damage, it is punishable as if you did significant damage or stole significant amounts of material."

Significant amounts/damage in GENERAL means $5000. Since I *PERSONALLY* know 2 ACTIVE FBI agents, I was told that is the general rule of thumb. Unless there was some damage, they aren't going to get involved.

So no, MLB isn't going to be able to show "significant damage" by some brewers fan watching 20-30 blacked out games.

Consdering this GOES ON ALL THE TIME right now. People are logging into accounts 2-3 times to watch multiple games, blackout games.

Again, you're a retard. No one is going to be charged with terrorism for using a proxy with mlb.tv. Could they do it? Yeah I'm sure they could try. Would they? No.

MLB isn't dumb enough to want "MLB charges brewers fan as terrorist for watching blacked out home games on his computer".
toofunnyy Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby beltrans_boy » Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:59 pm

Is it illegal? Yes.
Is it wrong? Probably.
Are people going to do it? Yes.
Are they going to get caught and prosecuted? Doubt it.

Either way, it's important to know that it IS illegal. And you CAN be prosecuted for it. People need to know the risks that they are taking. It's important to let them know that what they are doing isn't 100% legal, just in case something happens.

Overall, it was a good post. Thanks, agchris02! Know the risks involved before you take them.

;-D
[size=10]"Men are apt to mistake the strength of their feeling for the strength of their argument." [/size]
beltrans_boy
General Manager
General Manager

Postby GiantFan666 » Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:20 pm

thehat wrote:Here in Las Vegas, we are blacked out on MLB.com and/or the cable Extra Innings package for: Angels, Dodgers, Diamondbacks, Padres, A's and Giants. The local Fox affiliate at least shows most Dodgers and Angels games. As for the others, unless they're on ESPN, we can't see them.

The idea of any of these franchises claiming Las Vegas as a local market is ludicrous. In the case of the A's and Giants, it's beyond outrageous.

I'm pretty sure the Giants claim Reno as a home market, I could see them claiming Vegas too!
GiantFan666
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

FBI

Postby bellings » Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:47 pm

I am not going to doubt that the FBI would decline to get involved in something like this, that doesn't mean that they can't get involved. The FBI is responsible for anything that is a federal crime, and a federal crime is basically anything that crosses state lines. The MLB TV signals are clearly crossing state lines and are under federal jurisdiction.

While it has become clear that masking your IP is against the contract you signed and you could easily have your subscription canceled for doing it, I'm still unsure about whether it is a crime. But if it is, the FBI has every right to get involved.
bellings
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Re: MLB TV PROXY SEVERS _ LEGALITY

Postby bmcginni » Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:56 pm

Payne Dailey wrote:
Steve-o wrote:RPC 5.5. Read it. Love it.
:-)

Loved it

A lawyer shall not:

(a) practice law in a jurisdiction where doing so violates the regulation of the legal profession in that jurisdiction; or

(b) assist a person who is not a member of the bar in the performance of activity that constitutes the unauthorized practice of law.

BMC

What's "(let me guess-1L?)"?

1st year law student?

Yeah 1L = 1st year law student. You can usually tell who they are b/c they think they know it all b/c they took 1 class in a subject of law, but as we saw demonstrated, they usually don't know shit. It's fun to call them out though, yeah?
"Wade Boggs once drank 62 beers on a cross-country flight."
bmcginni
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Re: MLB TV PROXY SEVERS _ LEGALITY

Postby FritzOwl » Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:03 am

agchris02 wrote:Yes, this works, see the above post

1)MASKING YOUR IP ADDRESS IS A FELONY

Is is NOT a FELONY ................. YET

There is a bill in Congress (though not actually made public yet) that WILL make masking your IP address a felony crime, as part of a new international copyright agreeement due to be finalised and sent to the WTO members for ratification.

While masking your IP address WILL be a felony, there is NO law on the books right now, that makes it a crime. The laws that would make using "privacy tools" a felony offence in America will likely not come before Congress until after the 111th Congress takes over next year. The ACTA treaty is to be finalised and sent to the WTO members for ratigification, but with only 2 1/2 months, before Congress goes into recess for the political conventions and elections, laws to implement the treaty will likely not be passed until next year.

I live in Australia, and I mask my IP address all the time to listen to the Pandora music service (Pandora blocks non-U.S. users), and I can ASSURE you that I am committing NO crime under either CURRENT Australian or American laws, by masking my IP address to get Pandora, while I am home in Australia, or Clear Channel stations, which also block non-U.S. users from their streams. While Australia and America WILL make this a felony crime, within the next couple of years, it is NOT a felony crime as THIS particular time in EITHER country.
FritzOwl
T-Ball Trainer

Previous

Return to General Talk