MLB TV PROXY SEVERS _ LEGALITY - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

MLB TV PROXY SEVERS _ LEGALITY

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Mookie4ever » Wed Apr 06, 2005 6:10 pm

agchris02 wrote:actually, if you are masking your IP address for anything outside private reasons (such as something as sending annonoymous email), it is illegal -- Im quite sure of this as Ive recently covered a class on exactly this subject.

Masking your IP to get around the MLB.tv TOS is a breach of contract and you open yourself up to whatever penalty is in the contract plus and action for breach of contract.

But how is masking your IP illegal? Is there a statute making it illegal. If so is it a State or Federal law?

edit: I just read this:

agchris02 wrote:Yes, this works, see the above post

1)MASKING YOUR IP ADDRESS IS A FELONY

so you're saying it's a criminal offence? Is it a federal crime? I somewhat doubt this.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 283)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby LBJackal » Wed Apr 06, 2005 6:22 pm

toofunnyy wrote:it's quite easy to track proxy usage. In fact, a 5-6 year old kid could probably handle the job. If magically you're connecting from Korea, but gee your billing address is Milwaukee! Wow sometihng is up!

I used a proxy last year, and all the information I gave them was for a made up city in Alaska. Not just the proxy itself, but my address, ZIP code, all that was from Alaska. I didn't have any trouble. When my parents called to cancel in Septermber, they asked me why they kept suggesting we lived in Alaska :-b

And yeah I know the CC's billing address would be from Ontario, but I imagine it's not illegal to pay for something from the blacked out area, as long as you don't live there.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Re: MLB TV PROXY SEVERS _ LEGALITY

Postby ilsa » Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:42 pm

agchris02 wrote:And as to the ranger games --- EVERY ranger game is aired on local cable -- you can even pick it up with an antenna, so unless you dont have a TV, this REALLY makes no sense

Sorry, but I have to disagree.

I live in Oklahoma City and have extended Cox cable, and we get alot of ranger games but not all. Last night, for example, the only way to see the Ranger game was if you had digital cable and could get Fox Sports West. Also any time there is a Cardinals game going on at the same time, it gets precedence over the Rangers games. For mlb.tv my zip code is in the blackout regions for both Texas and St. Louis.
ilsa
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bmcginni » Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:50 pm

2)WATCHING BLACKED OUT GAMES IN YOUR HOME TOWN BY MASKING YOUR IP ADDRESS IS A FELONY -- thats stealing copywrighted material

Will you get caught, probably not. But posting instructions on how to do it in a public form IS NOT A SMART THING TO DO.

People DO get caught for this, you can get HUGE fines, minor jail time, and really screw up your life, I wouldnt suggest it -- those local games that are blacked out....well just listen on the radio while watching a differant game.

And as to the ranger games --- EVERY ranger game is aired on local cable -- you can even pick it up with an antenna, so unless you dont have a TV, this REALLY makes no sense

agchris02, chill out. although I'm sure your well intentioned, though misguided, advice seemed like a good idea, it's probably just as bad (if not worse) an idea to be giving out legal advice on a computer message board. I'm sure we're all impressed that you're a law student (a fact which you repeatedly reminded us of), but a cocky young law student (let me guess-1L?) probably isn't the best person to be giving out legal advice. As an actual attorney, I'll advise you to ease up on providing legal opinions without a law license. THAT, as I'm sure you also took a class on, is most definitely illegal. Let people make their own decisions.
"Wade Boggs once drank 62 beers on a cross-country flight."
bmcginni
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby AcidRock23 » Thu Apr 07, 2005 12:05 am

toofunnyy wrote:For the FBI to even look at a case, there has to b e $5000+ in damages. That's to even look at it. If MLB went to the FBI and said joe smuck is watching brewer games from home with a proxy, they would laugh in MLB's face.

This cracked me up for some reason...the image of a Joe Friday-esque Elliott Ness guy and Bud Selig w/ a file on Joe Smuck, the Brewers fan, is exceptionally amusing. Fortunately, I am free from any risk of felonious monstering as I am cable heavy but computer dumb (although I do read those threads, just for hits and giggles...). We have few blackout type of issues in Central IL anyway, we get Cubs/Cards/ Chisox/ Braves + ESPN most of the time and have baseball out our wazoos.

I think that blackouts amount to hostage-taking by professional sports organizations and should be illegal. I don't have a problem with them negotiating w/ TV, whether Cable or broadcast, or even setting up their own, dedicated channels for gonzo fans. Blacking out fans, many of whom are likely to be kids, is totally lame and should be protested by anyone who cares about the game as an institution, rather than a buy/ make money/ get out investment (like *cough, cough* the COMMISSIONER!!).

Who the hell do we protest this sort of thing to?
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby quietstorm » Thu Apr 07, 2005 12:24 am

toofunnyy wrote:Uhh, MLB isn't going to go after you. They aren't going to turn you over to the feds.

WORST case, they close your account. You obviously have no clue about internet crimes, hacking, laws.

For the FBI to even look at a case, there has to b e $5000+ in damages. That's to even look at it. If MLB went to the FBI and said joe smuck is watching brewer games from home with a proxy, they would laugh in MLB's face.

Somebody didn't read the USA PATRIOT Act closely enough. It becomes an act of "cyberterrorism" at $5,000. It's punishable at any amount, and the FBI may investigate regardless of the damages. From an essay I wrote on the USAPA:

The name of the USAPA seems to imply that all that is contained within the Act is relevant to terrorism investigations, when, in fact, this is not the case. Under the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act (CFAA), activities such as website defacement, hacking, and various other activities are made illegal. In civil lawsuits, spamming and unsolicited “bots” that collect information from websites have also been considered to be under the jurisdiction of the CFAA. Under the USAPA, all offenses put into place by the CFAA are considered to be terrorist offenses. Furthermore, all attempts to commit crimes of “cyberterrorism” are considered to be punishable as if they were successful.

Note that any attempt is punishable as terrorism. As such, if MLB claims that you intended to do significant damage, it is punishable as if you did significant damage or stole significant amounts of material.

-------------
As for using a proxy, it's perfectly legal, so long as you aren't committing any other illegal activity. Yes, it's an offense of its own if you do something illegal while using a proxy, but the use of a proxy in itself is acceptable. (It had better be, since I use them for the purpose of anonymous browsing.)
Your wisemen don't know how it feels to be thick as a brick...
quietstorm
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Steve-o » Thu Apr 07, 2005 12:58 am

bmcginni wrote:

2)WATCHING BLACKED OUT GAMES IN YOUR HOME TOWN BY MASKING YOUR IP ADDRESS IS A FELONY -- thats stealing copywrighted material

Will you get caught, probably not. But posting instructions on how to do it in a public form IS NOT A SMART THING TO DO.

People DO get caught for this, you can get HUGE fines, minor jail time, and really screw up your life, I wouldnt suggest it -- those local games that are blacked out....well just listen on the radio while watching a differant game.

And as to the ranger games --- EVERY ranger game is aired on local cable -- you can even pick it up with an antenna, so unless you dont have a TV, this REALLY makes no sense

agchris02, chill out. although I'm sure your well intentioned, though misguided, advice seemed like a good idea, it's probably just as bad (if not worse) an idea to be giving out legal advice on a computer message board. I'm sure we're all impressed that you're a law student (a fact which you repeatedly reminded us of), but a cocky young law student (let me guess-1L?) probably isn't the best person to be giving out legal advice. As an actual attorney, I'll advise you to ease up on providing legal opinions without a law license. THAT, as I'm sure you also took a class on, is most definitely illegal. Let people make their own decisions.

RPC 5.5. Read it. Love it.

:-)
Steve-o
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby agchris02 » Thu Apr 07, 2005 2:13 am

ilsa wrote:
agchris02 wrote:And as to the ranger games --- EVERY ranger game is aired on local cable -- you can even pick it up with an antenna, so unless you dont have a TV, this REALLY makes no sense

I live in Oklahoma City and have extended Cox cable, and we get alot of ranger games but not all. Last night, for example, the only way to see the Ranger game was if you had digital cable and could get Fox Sports West. Also any time there is a Cardinals game going on at the same time, it gets precedence over the Rangers games. For mlb.tv my zip code is in the blackout regions for both Texas and St. Louis.

Hmm maybe thats you -- by local cable I meant Dallas
Jackalope
agchris02
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby slomo007 » Thu Apr 07, 2005 2:20 am

agchris02 wrote:
ilsa wrote:

Hmm maybe thats you -- by local cable I meant Dallas

I go to school in Norman, OK (near OKC) and I don't get all Rangers games either. I'd say I can watch about 75% of them, but not all.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Phatferd » Thu Apr 07, 2005 2:25 am

I'm sure you do, but I think living in Dallas and Norman are two different things. They aren't going to prempt the Rangers for the Cards in Dallas.
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk