Moving out on my own. Looking for advice. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Moving out on my own. Looking for advice.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby ensanimal » Wed Apr 06, 2005 12:36 am

damn, those are some pretty fine apartments 8-o ;-D

one thing that i found important was to have a fall back emergency fund of money. you never know what can happen.
ensanimal

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 112)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BostonBK7 » Wed Apr 06, 2005 12:39 am

ensanimal wrote:damn, those are some pretty fine apartments 8-o ;-D

one thing that i found important was to have a fall back emergency fund of money. you never know what can happen.

Yeah I was gonna say those apartments look really nice...obviously they look better when advertised but nonetheless it doesn't seem too shabby of a place to live.
BostonBK7
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Baseballer02 » Wed Apr 06, 2005 12:42 am

Was looking around at a few other places and found a place that has a 3BR apartment for $720 a month. I had an ex co-worker who lived there so I know the place is decent. The neighborhood seemed okay except that the co-worker had his cd player stolen out of his Jeep, but that's what he gets for leaving his windows unzipped overnight. Splitting $720+Utilities with two other people should make for a fairly comfortable situation, no?
Baseballer02
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Wed Apr 06, 2005 12:49 am

Those apartments are awfully close to 20 - in the winter, when the leaves are off the trees, you will probably be able to hear the traffic.

I'd definately go for the 3 bedroom with friends - especially if it's not in an apartment building. A stand-alone house is worlds better, in that you won't hear your neighbors upstairs or nextdoor.
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Madison » Wed Apr 06, 2005 12:50 am

Baseballer02 wrote:Splitting $720+Utilities with two other people should make for a fairly comfortable situation, no?

Only if you don't want any privacy. ;-) Just me, but I'd rather spend a little extra and have a 1 bedroom all to myself and anyone I might bring over. O:-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Baseballer02 » Wed Apr 06, 2005 12:55 am

Madison wrote:
Baseballer02 wrote:Splitting $720+Utilities with two other people should make for a fairly comfortable situation, no?

Only if you don't want any privacy. ;-) Just me, but I'd rather spend a little extra and have a 1 bedroom all to myself and anyone I might bring over. O:-)

That'd be quite a bit more expensive, though. I'm not worried too much about privacy, as long as I have my own bedroom I'll be just fine.
Baseballer02
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby pokerplaya » Wed Apr 06, 2005 1:21 am

Wow. 1200-2000 a month playing poker on the internet? There really must be a ton of fish out there. :-° I just don't have the capital yet to take that risk as a broke college student. I played online once, got myself a nice set of poker chips and won a few bucks and got out of it. Impressive though.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby emb0lus » Wed Apr 06, 2005 1:32 am

Renting a place for $450 is possible on your budget, I did it for a year on less (my car was already paid for). I lived off of a $12K stipend my first year of med school. My utilities were included in the $450 which was nice and I lived by myself. Parking stunk but i got over it. The hardest part is being able to budget as someone said earlier. I really had to ask myself with every purchase, DO I really need this?

If you can't cook, learn how to make some cheap casseroles, soups and how to grill decently. Casseroles last for at least 4 days. Cereal is cheap and is not just a breakfast food and peanut butter is a good source of protein.

Living close to work will save a ton of money on gas which has become a huge problem.

If you smoke, stop. Save yourself $60 a month. If you drink, well, either quit or acquire a taste for Pabst. (i really have no idea what the cheapest beer was, just remember my dad used to drink that stuff because it was cheap)

Most importanly, stay away from credit cards! sure you need one for an emergency but make sure it is an emergency. When you don't pay cash for something, you don't appreciate how much it costs until you have to pay the bill at the end of the month.
emb0lus
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Fireball Express » Wed Apr 06, 2005 2:51 am

Ah, leaving the nest.

I think you can afford it. I did it on about the same budget at one point in my life.

I've lived w/ 4 other roommates (too many deadbeats)
I've lived w/ 2 other roommates (2 guys on roids raging at each other all the time)
I've lived w/ 1 other roommate (mixed reviews)
I have and am presently living alone. (Like my privacy and moments of solitude)

I think having one other rommate is the best option.
Spliting everything in half is easiest sometimes.

The problem w/ having roommates is that they can be Deadbeats.
Know who you are choosing as a roommate. You don't want to have to pick up his slack in the expenses. So don't choose your buddy who has always asked you to borrow money. Sure he's fun but you'll be paying for it. Make sure he can afford his end.

I don't know what else to tell ya except good luck.
I had a blast when I first moved out. Missed a lot of the luxuries of home but I adapted.
Fireball Express
General Manager
General Manager

Postby DieHardCubbie » Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:41 am

Fireball Express wrote:
The problem w/ having roommates is that they can be Deadbeats.
Know who you are choosing as a roommate. You don't want to have to pick up his slack in the expenses. So don't choose your buddy who has always asked you to borrow money. Sure he's fun but you'll be paying for it. Make sure he can afford his end.

Good advice....I got stuck in this situation my second year of college...and from experience, a deadbeat roomate is a lot easier to get than get rid of... :-o

As has already been mentioned...make a budget and stick to it..that is another difficult thing to day...it is easy to write out a budget...but very difficult to stick to...but on your income you will have to... :-)

Good luck with the move.... ;-D
[b]Useless Trivia of the day[/b]

England's Worcester Canoe Club set the world record for paddling a hand-propelled bathtub. The 25 man team covered a distance of 55 miles, 425 yards in 24 hours on September 28 and 29, 1979.
DieHardCubbie
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk