The art of the deal - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

The art of the deal

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby stoner420 » Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:57 am

TB13 wrote:I say first put out a feeler and find out what and whom the other player is looking for. Then make a deal, but one that involves 2 lesser (but not by much) players for the one you really want. If the other owner is down on Smoltz, you get your man.

This is great great advice! I love 2 for 1 deals. They are how you win fantasy leagues. well not exactly, but they can really help.

another piece of advice, it involves alot of work... but often times if u try doing a 3 team trade it can work out really well. for instance, last year i was able to trade vinny castillo and rich harden for zito before the season started. obviously the trade didnt work out well cuz zito sucked but think back to the start of last season... there is no way any of u cafe members would have given zito up for those guys. The way i was able to pull this off is that i got in a 3 way trade where Team A(me) gave up castillo and harden TeamB gave up 3 mediocre players and team C gave up zito and another stud(forget who it was exactly, maybe abreau) team c got the total shaft and most likely would not have done either deal had they been seperate, but because they were together team c was thinkging to himself "wow im giving up abreau and zito, and in return getting 5 solid fantasy starters to upgrade my team". The other beauty of a 3 team trade is that 2 of the owners can kind of work together by making comments to sway the third owner to make the deal.
stoner420
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Dawgpound 1613 » Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:05 am

Normally, I say wait a week or so. One bad start doesn't mean much to many fantasy players, but if 1 of his next two is poor, then if the Smoltz owner had doubts, they'll be booming in his head after the 2nd bad start.

Then, when it is time to make the deal, I either go for a player with a higher perceived value than Smoltz and "negotiate down" to Smoltz, or do a two-for-two or something with Smoltz as one of the two. If you simply look to trade player A for Smoltz in a one-for-one, then almost every fantasy owner knows you're attempting a classic buy-low trade and will expect something close to original value in return. Instead, by offering a two-for-two, you have a better chance of disguising your intentions. I've found this works very well by trading a SP who has a decent rep and better current stats than the "struggling" SP, and getting an upgrade at another position, such as OF.

I will note that Smoltz threw almost 2/3 of his pitches for strikes and the Marlins fouled a lot of pitches off and forced him into mistakes. So he was a little wild in the strike zone, which is better, IMHO, than being wild outside the zone and walking players. The result was being hit, but he was one or two pitches away from giving up only 1 run the first two innings. So if you are going to move on Smoltz, I'd move quickly as I do think that yesterday was a blip. Still not sure you'll see more than 150 innings, but don't think yesterday's performance will be indicative of how he does until/if he gets injured. Doubt he goes from a sub 3.00 ERA closer to junk in one off-season.
Dawgpound 1613
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating. 2. Situation; place; locality.

Postby great gretzky » Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:37 am

I would agree with that sentiment that 2 for 1's and buy lows don't really work -- unless the two for one's include uneven players -- say a trade of tex and a closer for pujols or something. You can snooker some people with those. Or a hitter and pitcher for a better hitter.

Otherwise, just do a two for two and take their suckiest player. They think they "won" that end of it.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby wrveres » Thu Apr 07, 2005 7:53 am

Mookie4ever wrote:
wrveres wrote:Post this article and picture on your league website.
Call it physiological warfare. :-o

MIAMI, April 5 -- Atlanta Braves pitcher John Smoltz made one thing clear this afternoon: He does not pitch well with 1,395 days of rest between starts.
Smoltz's much anticipated return to the starting rotation after nearly four years as Atlanta's closer went downhill so quickly and so dramatically Smoltz didn't make it out of the second inning, pitching less in the Braves' 9-0 Opening Day loss to the Florida Marlins at Dolphins Stadium than in five appearances last year out of the bullpen.
"I'm disappointed with the results," he said. "Not with the way I threw."
The Marlins did not score off Smoltz in 29 relief appearances over several seasons, but they compensated by racking up seven runs -- six earned -- in 1 2/3 innings.
"I had this scoreless streak against them, yet they came out and destroyed it all in the first inning," Smoltz said. "I'm one that . . . doesn't allow this to be a devastating blow. It just really puts a damper on the start of the season."
Smoltz's struggles hinted that the Braves might have been too optimistic in expecting that he, at 37, could help the Braves' starting rotation return to its mid-1990s dominance. Smoltz, however, viewed the outing as a decent day marred only by a couple of poor pitches in two-out situations.
"I'm surprised whenever John gives up a run, to be honest with you," Braves Manager Bobby Cox said.
Smoltz faced 12 batters and threw 65 pitches. He had one strikeout and two walks. Last season, Smoltz collected 44 saves in 49 chances and posted a 2.76 ERA. He gave up his first walk in mid-June.
"As mad as I was walking off the mound, what can you do?" he said. "Obviously, I wouldn't have thought this was possible. . . . Clearly, my next start Sunday . . . should be a lot better."

Haha - one tip though. If you are going to engage in this type of psychological warfare don't go on a fantasy baseball bulletin board and tell your competitors what you are doing. :-D

Smoltz for Tejada wr?

I'll give ya Gathright for Smoltz.
Its not quite a name like Tejada, but hey whats is in a name anyways?
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 720)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers