Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby donny23 » Tue Apr 05, 2005 4:50 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:Beltran
Pujols
Vlad
RJ
Santana

after that it gets quite muddled.

Let me put it like this - I fully think Beltre will have better numbers across the board than ARod - again. However, because I probably could get Beltre and something else in a deal for ARod I would draft Arod ahead of him.

I'd put him after Beltran and Pujols. Arod is more durable than Vlad although a healthy Vlad will likely put up better numbers (batting average more than anything else). As a yanks fan, I could make more of an argument for Santana than I could for RJ for the same reason - age and health risk. Beltre had a monster year last year and is still young. I'm pretty sure he'll have another great year, but let's see him do it first. All the other guys have more of a track record to fall back on.
donny23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby donny23 » Tue Apr 05, 2005 4:51 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:As for the argument he got off to a slow start - every player goes through some kind of minor slump every season - its normal and should be factored into all projections.

For some reason, hitters seem to ALWAYS slump when they come to Yankee stadium...nothing to do with early slumps. They seem to put extra pressure on themself to perform on the big stage. It happened to Giambi. It happened to Arod and it happened to Shef. Of course players have slumps, but I don't write Arod's or Sheff's early slumps off to just regular slumps.
donny23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby The Jury » Tue Apr 05, 2005 4:53 pm

A-Rod's 20+ steals on top of his power numbers make enoguh difference to me to put him in the top 4 with Beltran, Vladdy, and Pujols.
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Postby J35J » Tue Apr 05, 2005 5:05 pm

The Jury wrote:A-Rod's 20+ steals on top of his power numbers make enoguh difference to me to put him in the top 4 with Beltran, Vladdy, and Pujols.

Agree!
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 421)

Postby donny23 » Tue Apr 05, 2005 5:05 pm

The Jury wrote:A-Rod's 20+ steals on top of his power numbers make enoguh difference to me to put him in the top 4 with Beltran, Vladdy, and Pujols.

I agree. It's pretty borderline with him and Vlad. To me Beltran and Pujols are the clear top 2.
donny23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby CubsFan7724 » Tue Apr 05, 2005 5:09 pm

donny23 wrote:

I agree. It's pretty borderline with him and Vlad. To me Beltran and Pujols are the clear top 2.

I disagree. Give me Vlad over Beltran, and Beltran over Vlad. Vlad gives you such good, consistent numbers across the board, and should he ever return to 25 some steals, hes probably #1. Though I think he'll probably get 15-20 steals, along with 40, 120/120, close .340. Those are pretty good numbers.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby bd3521 » Tue Apr 05, 2005 5:10 pm

Vlad is more of risk then Arod is in my opinion
[url]http://www.footballguys.com/05vbdrevisited.htm[/url]
bd3521
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby donny23 » Tue Apr 05, 2005 5:14 pm

CubsFan7724 wrote:
donny23 wrote:

I disagree. Give me Vlad over Beltran, and Beltran over Vlad. Vlad gives you such good, consistent numbers across the board, and should he ever return to 25 some steals, hes probably #1. Though I think he'll probably get 15-20 steals, along with 40, 120/120, close .340. Those are pretty good numbers.

Take out the risk factor, and yes, I'd agree with you. To me Beltran is the clear #1. Any guy who can get 40/40 with a decent average has to be #1. Vlad is now only a 15-20 steal guy although he'll have a higher batting average. That all being said, a healthy Vlad is likely #1 or #2.
donny23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby CubsFan7724 » Tue Apr 05, 2005 5:15 pm

bd3521 wrote:Vlad is more of risk then Arod is in my opinion

They are both healthy. Arod could get hurt stealing a base. I think its silly to rank the players on risk when it isn't really a huge risk. Its like not taking Pujols with the first 3 picks because of the foot thing.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby bd3521 » Tue Apr 05, 2005 5:18 pm

I am not talking about Pujols because I have him and Beltran in a different tier. I dont change ranks of players out of tier because if injury or risk/reward.

But since I do have Vlad and Arod in the same 'select' tier, I prefer Arod because I have more confidence in his health and no back issues etc...
[url]http://www.footballguys.com/05vbdrevisited.htm[/url]
bd3521
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers