Future debate: Andy Marte or Ian Stewart? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Future debate: Andy Marte or Ian Stewart?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Future debate: Andy Marte or Ian Stewart?

Postby TB13 » Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:10 am

Who will eventually be the better player, fantasy-wise? Both are probably a year away at this point. Marte may be the better player, but Steward will play at Coors?
Whom would you rather take a chance on next year?
TB13
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby slomo007 » Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:23 am

Unless Chipper gets traded, I just don't know how Marte will get any PT this year or next (I believe his contract runs through next year :-? ). I know they were trying to move him to OF temporarily, to get him some playing time a la Miguel Cabrera, but I thought I read that they abandoned this plan. Maybe not though.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Mookie4ever » Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:29 am

Ian Stewart has progressed very rapidly and if he stays with the Rockies will be a top 3b in a few years time. Look for him to get a call up this year and perhaps be the full time 3b next year. Great power, good hitter and perfect situation.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 277)

Postby hybrid » Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:18 am

I think Marte has a good shot at playing this year .... in the OF. When your corner OF's are an aging Brian Jordan and Mondesi, it's two players you have to hope can do what Drew did last year .... stay healthy.

As for who will be best, I have to give the edge to Ian and the Coors effect.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby TB13 » Tue Apr 05, 2005 11:13 am

[quote="slomo007"]I know they were trying to move him to OF temporarily, to get him some playing time a la Miguel Cabrera, but I thought I read that they abandoned this plan. Maybe not though.[/quote]

I've read rumors that some of the options were:

1) Chipper goes back to the outfield & Marte goed to 3rd
2) Chipper stays at 3rd & Marte goes to 1st.
TB13
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby slomo007 » Tue Apr 05, 2005 11:14 am

TB13 wrote:
slomo007 wrote:I know they were trying to move him to OF temporarily, to get him some playing time a la Miguel Cabrera, but I thought I read that they abandoned this plan. Maybe not though.

I've read rumors that some of the options were:

1) Chipper goes back to the outfield & Marte goed to 3rd
2) Chipper stays at 3rd & Marte goes to 1st.

LaRoche is blocking first, and Chipper has said he does NOT want to play in the OF again. And when a fan favorite such as Chipper says that, you listen. I think Marte will have to play OF or risk not coming up until 2007. :-o
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Dawgpound 1613 » Tue Apr 05, 2005 11:33 am

Long-term - Stewart. A great hitter in the best hitter's park. No contest, IMHO. But I think you're looking at mid-2006 at the earliest (he'll be in High-A this year).

For 2005/2006 - Marte. He'll be at AAA, and people are right that the Braves corner OF are iffy, at best. Should be up mid-year this year at OF.

As for long-term position, Marte is a better defensive 3B than Chipper. Chipper is also about 10 years older and not going to get better. While I'm sure Chipper wants to stay at 3B, it doesn't help the Braves if Marte is ready/able to handle 3B in 2006. I'd think the Braves could convince Chipper to take one for the team if they can show that to him. But MCab started as a 3B and ended up in LF, so I guess it is possible for Marte to stay at OF, though Marte is allegedly better at 3B than MCab was. However, Stewart doesn't have these isses - another reason to go with him long-term.
Dawgpound 1613
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating. 2. Situation; place; locality.

Postby bd3521 » Tue Apr 05, 2005 11:34 am

Marte

:crossingfingers:
[url]http://www.footballguys.com/05vbdrevisited.htm[/url]
bd3521
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby quietstorm » Tue Apr 05, 2005 1:56 pm

I think Marte is the better prospect in real baseball, but there's no way you can discount a top prospect in Colorado. It's the difference between Todd Helton and Jim Thome. I'll take Thome over Helton outside of Coors, but with Coors factored in, Helton's better.

I wish Chipper would move back to the outfield. He's not a good outfielder, but, damn, he's one of the worst fielders ever at 3B.
Your wisemen don't know how it feels to be thick as a brick...
quietstorm
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bd3521 » Tue Apr 05, 2005 2:10 pm

.284 career vs .339 , I would stick with Helton. Too bad they are both getting old though ;-)
[url]http://www.footballguys.com/05vbdrevisited.htm[/url]
bd3521
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers