Whats the normal amount of RP you can start in your league? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Whats the normal amount of RP you can start in your league?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Whats the normal amount of RP you can start in your league?

Postby Phatferd » Tue Apr 05, 2005 1:43 am

A guy on our board is bitching that in our H2H league that we can only start 2 RP. We have 5 SP and 2 RP, I don't get why he's bitching now.

I was wondering what the normal amount is. I know some leagues do a P spot, but I don't think 5 SP and 2 RP is odd.
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jjigglers » Tue Apr 05, 2005 1:51 am

5sp and 2 rp is pretty weird.

usually 2 sp, 2rp, 3P
jjigglers
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Phatferd » Tue Apr 05, 2005 1:55 am

How can you say 2 RP is weird and say 2 RP in your scenario?

I know you talk about the P also, but I just think its the same thing pretty much. The only reason they have 5 SP is because since it is H2H it allows you to start all your SP on those odd days they all seem to pitch on that 1 day.
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby sportsgalore » Tue Apr 05, 2005 1:59 am

Phatferd wrote:How can you say 2 RP is weird and say 2 RP in your scenario?

I know you talk about the P also, but I just think its the same thing pretty much. The only reason they have 5 SP is because since it is H2H it allows you to start all your SP on those odd days they all seem to pitch on that 1 day.

because he also said 3 p, which can mean sp or rp

2 rp without any kind of p slots is extremely restrictive and defeats a lot of the strategy involved in closers/saves/holds/middle relievers, etc...

basically if instead of 5 SP, you had 2 sp and 3 p to go along with your 2 rp, it's the same number of pitchers but let's the manager decide whether to use a rp or a sp...
sportsgalore
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Phatferd » Tue Apr 05, 2005 2:03 am

I understand the P thing, but the only stat our league uses for relievers is Saves really. I know ERA, WHIP all that is part of a RP too, but its the same for everyone, they all have to use their SP and Closer to value those stats.

You mention it takes out strategy, well it creates strategy on the other hand. Every setup creates its own unique strategy. I am just talking RP here not P or SP. We have 7 pitchers and RP take up about 1/3 of our Pitchers which I think is abotu accurate. And most only have, 3 SP going at the most. Some days its 0, so at times the ratio is close to 1:1.
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby sportsgalore » Tue Apr 05, 2005 2:07 am

most leagues only use "saves" as a reliever stat, although they do contribute to all the other categories as well...

why would rp taking up 1/3 of your pitchers be accurate, maybe innings wise but real teams carry more rps than sps...

and if most have 3 sp going at once, why have the other 2 just sitting idle, why not allow the manager to choose?

you're right, different setups breed different strategies, but id personally be in favor of more freedom and less restriction (within reason) - i think that allows for greater strategy...
sportsgalore
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Phatferd » Tue Apr 05, 2005 2:10 am

I understand your points, but I dont see how you can compare that more teams carry more RP than SP, yes that true, however, fantasy baseball is not close to real baseball. It's apples to oranges. I think 2 RP is accurate as you have said, which is all I am wondering. Most don't have 5 SP, but 2 RP is accurate.

My biggest problem with the guy is he bitches now. He is only doing it because his 3rd RP was on the bench and had a pretty good day. I told him I own bitterness for today because I had Dmitri on the bench.
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby sportsgalore » Tue Apr 05, 2005 2:12 am

Phatferd wrote:My biggest problem with the guy is he bitches now. He is only doing it because his 3rd RP was on the bench and had a pretty good day. I told him I own bitterness for today because I had Dmitri on the bench.

yeah can't change it now - too late - and im sure that you having dmitri on the bench hurts more than his rp... !+)
sportsgalore
College Coach
College Coach

Postby joe112 » Tue Apr 05, 2005 2:23 am

In my league you need 7sp's and 4rp's.(deep league).
joe112
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)

Postby ilsa » Tue Apr 05, 2005 2:39 am

It certainly creates a certain inflation of value for guys like Batista who are SP eligible.
ilsa
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers