What do you think about my fantasy team? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

What do you think about my fantasy team?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

What do you think about my fantasy team?

Postby Tim » Fri Apr 05, 2002 6:14 pm

8 teams, Rotesserie

-Paul LoDuca
-Mike Sweeney
-Todd Walker
-Morgan Ensberg
-Miguel Tejada
-Brian Giles
-Juan Gonzalez
-Moises Alou
-Edgar Martinez
-David Justice
-Carlos Pena
-Paul Konerko
-Ben Grieve

Pitching

-Freddy Garcia
-Tim Hudson
-Matt Morris
-Javier Vazquez
-Roy Oswalt
-Cory Lidle
-Dannys Baez
-Juan Cruz
-Woody Williams
-Troy Percival
-Eddie Guardado
-Felix Rodriguez

Im planning on droping Felix Rodriguez and pick up either Estaban Yan, or Brandon Looper
Tim

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Arlo » Fri Apr 05, 2002 6:55 pm

Hmm... I think you have some great arms but need a couple of bats. I'd actually drop Woody Williams before I move F-Rod (see our latest Sleepers update), and pick up Yan. Whether to drop F-Rod for Looper is a very tough question. I might drop Baez instead. That would give you four closers and the best middle reliever to go with some excellent starters.

I'd also see if there's a better choice than Walker available at 2b. If you can somehow get a speed-only guy here, it would help. Eric Young, perhaps? Also try to optimize your bench coverage, for instance by shopping - or even dropping - Konerko or Pena. You don't need 3 1b's (unless your league doesn't differentiate between cornermen), and a backup 3b in case Ensberg has a slow start would be nice.

Your rotation should give you some leverage during the season, since you're not dependent on any one single pitcher. Trading a starter for a stud hitter may be necessary at some point, but such a move should wind up to be to your advantage. Let us know if you make any moves!
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Tim » Fri Apr 05, 2002 7:03 pm

it bassically comes down to rivas, or walker at 2nd, for some odd reason ALOT of 2nd basemen has been taken...ive always looked at that as a relatively shallow position, rivas can give me some stolen bases...but im still gonna come in last in that category anyway, thats why i picked up walker, to hopefully give me some runs, oh and i wanna see what woody williams does early this year before i drop him, he was great with the cards at the end of last year
Tim

Postby Arlo » Fri Apr 05, 2002 7:18 pm

Ok, if you're punting steals, Walker sounds like a decent choice. I'd still drop Williams, though. You have more than enough starters to fill any standard inning allowance, and saves will turn out to be pretty valuable, both in the standings and as trade bait, soon. Williams should be solid, but I don't think you need him.

I admit I have a slight (some of the guys here would probably say extreme) pro-bullpen bias, though...
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Tim » Fri Apr 05, 2002 10:45 pm

Ok with woody williams leaving the game today....and me not being too high on him in the first place....who should i pick up im only in an 8 team league, so alot of players you name will be available
Tim

Postby Tim » Sat Apr 06, 2002 12:14 am

The only reason im keeping 3 1b is because in my league you can have 3 utl players...so i use pena and konerko as utl
Tim

Postby Arlo » Sat Apr 06, 2002 2:38 am

Ok, I see - with 3 util slots, carrying those 1b's makes sense. If you're dropping Williams and have the chance to grab a closer, I'd do that. Definitely take Yan over Looper - always go for the sure thing when it comes to saves. The only scenario where another closer might not help much is if your league uses weekly lineup chnges; in that case, I'd probably go for a hitter. Any interesting 3b's available?
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Guest » Sat Apr 06, 2002 7:57 pm

hmm but will yan get alot of chances for saves playing for the devil rays...? Looper has potential as a closer but got rocked in his first apearence...but still yan picked up 22 saves...ahh this is confusing!!

Postby Tim » Sat Apr 06, 2002 8:06 pm

Kelvim Escobar is available too
Tim

Postby Arlo » Sat Apr 06, 2002 8:08 pm

Interestingly, the number of save opportunity a closer gets doesn't depend all that heavily on how good his team is. No, Yan isn't the greatest closer ever, but at the moment, I'll take him over guys like Looper, Julio or Gagne, even though they might have higher potential. Anyway, Yan's potential isn't low either - his stuff is nasty when he's on. Looper has potential too, but until he throws more strikeouts, I don't see him as a stud closer.

Escobar is another matter - he has great stuff as well, and has much fewer question marks than Looper. I'd call it a toss-up between Yan and Escobar.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Return to Baseball Leftovers