Will the Brewers miss Scotty Pods? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Will the Brewers miss Scotty Pods?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby packslu1 » Tue Apr 05, 2005 11:10 am

Yost is aggresive with his lineup, so 40 steals out of Clark would not surprise me, but 25-30 is more realistic.
packslu1
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Scooter1027 » Tue Apr 05, 2005 11:20 am

packslu1 wrote:Yost is aggresive with his lineup, so 40 steals out of Clark would not surprise me, but 25-30 is more realistic.

Yeah, but it's not just Yost though, you have to consider that it's Clark. He doesn't have Podsednik's wheels, so he's going to get caught at a higher % than Scotty did. I dunno, I guess we'll see. He's never really had the chance to be a full-time everyday player before, so maybe he'll surprise me.
Scooter1027
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby dloke » Tue Apr 05, 2005 11:26 am

How do you think Clark's number's will compare to Reed's (Seattle)? Who will be more valuable to fantasy leaguers?
dloke
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby packslu1 » Tue Apr 05, 2005 11:53 am

dloke wrote:How do you think Clark's number's will compare to Reed's (Seattle)? Who will be more valuable to fantasy leaguers?

That's tough, both are pretty much in the same situation (bat near the top of the order, have some big bats behind them, pretty good wheels and should stay in the lineup). I would give the edge to Clark right now, because there was some talk of moving Reed down to the 8th spot sometime in ST (was it against lefties?) Clark will bat leadoff full time and get plenty of opportunity. I am guessing Clark will hold the advantage at the end of the season in runs, SB's and maybe a tick or two above Reed in OBP.
packslu1
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby BritSox » Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:23 pm

I think i'm going to hold on to and spot start reed for a week or two, then look at doing exactly this.
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

Postby baseballnewb » Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:25 pm

Clark puts up the best AB's of anyone on the brewers. Seems like he always takes the count 3-2 and runs the pitchers pitch counts up. I think he could really break out and hit 300+ this year with full time play. Of course he's never played full time and I could also see him breaking down a bit under the strain of full time duty.
baseballnewb
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Scooter1027 » Tue Apr 05, 2005 1:15 pm

baseballnewb wrote:Clark puts up the best AB's of anyone on the brewers. Seems like he always takes the count 3-2 and runs the pitchers pitch counts up. I think he could really break out and hit 300+ this year with full time play. Of course he's never played full time and I could also see him breaking down a bit under the strain of full time duty.

I agree completely. Geoff Jenkins and Russ Branyan could learn a lot from watching Clark work the count. His selectivity is the reason he posted a .385 OBP last year, which would be great for the team at the top of the order this year.

Last year, Scotty Po got 640 AB to Clark's 353. If you extrapolate Clark's numbers out to 640 AB, he would have hit about 13 HR, stolen about 27 bases, and walked 96 times to 87 strikeouts. Also, the year Podsednik posted a .380 OBP while leading off (2003), he scored 100 runs in 558 AB, meaning Clark should do about the same (with Lee filling the RBI slot that Sexson filled that year).

Obviously, extrapolation of stats is risky at best, but it's interesting to note about where he would have sat last year when thinking about this year.
Scooter1027
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Steve-o » Tue Apr 05, 2005 1:33 pm

BritSox wrote:I think i'm going to hold on to and spot start reed for a week or two, then look at doing exactly this.

How funny. I am in the exact same position as you guys and came to teh sam econclusion.

I hope its not a mistake. :-o
Steve-o
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby dloke » Tue Apr 05, 2005 4:04 pm

Where does Willy Taveras fit into this discussion? His steal potential seems higher than Brady and Reed he also seems like a huge risk.
dloke
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers