Why does a starter need to go 5 innings for a win? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Why does a starter need to go 5 innings for a win?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Why does a starter need to go 5 innings for a win?

Postby Jimbo OZ » Mon Apr 04, 2005 9:42 pm

Obviously I own Zambrano who got pulled after 4 2/3 innings when the Cubs were leading 9-2. He wasn't pitching great but deserves the win more so than Rusch. I don't get it. What is the point to that rule?
Jimbo OZ
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby NZF » Mon Apr 04, 2005 9:56 pm

I guess there has to be a cut off point somewhere.

I agree though, it does seem illogical that the guy that comes in and completes the fifth inning automatically gets the WIN if his side holds the lead. No matter how effective or ineffective he is.

The save rule is just as crazy, maybe even more so.
When you're right no one remembers, when you're wrong no one forgets - NZF
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby TheYanks04 » Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:02 pm

You can't pitch at least 5 innings/half the game you do not deserve to win. Yeah the rule allows for some clod mop-up man out the pen to vulture a W, but so what? There is no point to padding SPs stat lines (and salaries). Pitchers used to finish what they started in the old days.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Jimbo OZ » Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:09 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:You can't pitch at least 5 innings/half the game you do not deserve to win.

My math suggests that 4 2/3 innings is half the game (more than half actually).

Plus, with a blowout win developing and the Cubs current injury problems it is safer for Zambrano to come out early to preserve his helf. Therefore, it is unnecessary for him to "finish what he started".
Jimbo OZ
College Coach
College Coach

Postby jjigglers » Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:13 pm

Jimbo OZ wrote:
TheYanks04 wrote:You can't pitch at least 5 innings/half the game you do not deserve to win.

My math suggests that 4 2/3 innings is half the game (more than half actually).

Plus, with a blowout win developing and the Cubs current injury problems it is safer for Zambrano to come out early to preserve his helf. Therefore, it is unnecessary for him to "finish what he started".

He wasnt pulled for injury concerns, he was tossed out.
I say 5 innings is fair, like an earlier poster said, you have to draw the line somewhere.
jjigglers
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Jimbo OZ » Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:15 pm

jjigglers wrote:He wasnt pulled for injury concerns, he was tossed out.

He was actually pulled out by Dusty and got tossed on his way to the dugout.
Jimbo OZ
College Coach
College Coach

Postby jjigglers » Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:22 pm

my mistake.
jjigglers
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby TheYanks04 » Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:22 pm

He had 106 pitches and walked in a run. Half his pitches were balls give or take. What is the problem? Man did not have his top stuff and Baker got him out of there with his pitch count over 100. It is his own fault for not getting the job done and I hardly see why you should reward a starter for that type of line. If you can't go 5 you do not deserve a W. Simple as that. Vulture Ws are for the relievers and mean very little outside of fantasy. Adding on W's to starters for lame performances does what for the real world game?
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby thehat » Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:24 pm

I would have liked Zambrano to complete the fifth but Dusty made the right move lifting him. He had loaded the bases and was clearly steaming at the home plate ump. His parting shot after handing Dusty the ball earned him the boot.

To be honest, he didn't pitch well today and really didn't deserve a win. But I would have been a lot happier had he gotten one.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby TheRawDAWG » Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:51 pm

Nothing to do with Zambrano, but I find one of the strangest things about baseball being when a starter gets yanked with the win and another pitcher gives up the lead. But that team comes back to win in the end, the pitcher that gave up the lead gets the win. I always thought that was kind of a slap in the face to the starter who pitched well. Not only does the guy blow his W but then he gets rewarded for blowing his W. Funny stuff. :-t
Barry Bonds for US president.
TheRawDAWG
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers