38 Minor Leaguers Suspended for Violating New Drug Policy - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

38 Minor Leaguers Suspended for Violating New Drug Policy

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby afromangettindrunk » Mon Apr 04, 2005 8:05 pm

the way i see it is the steroids issue is only getting larger. this makes sense when you figure in the fact that the talent pool is getting ginormously larger than it was 10, 20, 30...years ago. presently there are 6.3ish billion people on the planet compared with 3,4,5 billion the past few decades. statistically, this increases the number of people who are going to have extreme athletic talent. even as the league has expanded, it has been outpaced by the current population trend. so what happens when you have twice as many highly talented athletes as you used to? you get guys who do anything to gain an edge over others. its a cut-throat business and everyone wants to make a living. in summation, HUGE talent pool, increased selectivity, large sums of money, and people who will do anything to make it. too bad that people are ****ing up their bodies for the cause.

so thats just my two cents on the issue. there are obviously other proximate causes and factors in this problem but i feel this is one of the ultimate causes.
afromangettindrunk
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Conner » Mon Apr 04, 2005 8:15 pm

It makes much more sense to post your reply underneath whatever it is you're quoting. Just felt like saying that...

Anyway....Not all of those guys are crappy players. A couple were actually fairly highly regarded prospects....19 year old Javier Herrera (Oakland), for example.
Conner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Madison » Tue Apr 05, 2005 5:29 am

wrveres wrote:does anybody know ...

Since minor leaguers are not in the Union, and they have a different testing system, do they get a fresh start if they make the MLB.
For example, take this kid who has been busted three times, if he makes to the MLB and gets caught, does he start with a 10 day suspension?

curious if anybody knows for sure.

Not sure. :-? I would think it would carry over, but I honestly don't know. Maybe someone out there has a good article about it? Or a link to the info? :-?
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Rkiivs » Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:14 am

I still don't see the difference between steroids and TJ surgery.
Rkiivs Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Innovative Member

Postby donny23 » Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:47 am

Conner wrote:It makes much more sense to post your reply underneath whatever it is you're quoting. Just felt like saying that...

Thanks dad....
donny23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby quietstorm » Tue Apr 05, 2005 2:01 pm

donny23 wrote:This basically is a statement on just how many fringe players have probably used steroids. We've focused so much on the stars, that we're forgetting just how many players without big names in the game could be using.

Completely agreed. I doubt many stars are using steroids: They have the least to gain. Their contracts will be high, anyway.

Scrubs, on the other hand, can turn into average players who get PT and higher salaries.
Your wisemen don't know how it feels to be thick as a brick...
quietstorm
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Conner » Tue Apr 05, 2005 2:08 pm

donny23 wrote:
Conner wrote:It makes much more sense to post your reply underneath whatever it is you're quoting. Just felt like saying that...

Thanks dad....

Hey...Just a little advice, dude.

No reason to get all defensive, and crap...
Conner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby donny23 » Tue Apr 05, 2005 2:10 pm

Conner wrote:
donny23 wrote:

Thanks dad....

I wasn't being defensive...just joking around. So defensive, no...crap, yes :-D
donny23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Conner » Tue Apr 05, 2005 2:13 pm

donny23 wrote:
Conner wrote:
donny23 wrote:

Thanks dad....

I wasn't being defensive...just joking around. So defensive, no...crap, yes :-D

Good.

Crap's okay by me. ;-D
Conner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby agchris02 » Tue Apr 05, 2005 2:17 pm

Rirruto wrote:I wonder what other kinds of drugs these kids were using. Doesnt say in the article and cant be all steroids, can it?

This was discussed yesterday on espn radio

The new testing policy allows these mandatory suspensions ONLY for steriod use OR "masking substances" which are used to hide the presence of steriods, that means all these suspensions have to be related to that

If a player tests postive for a non-steriodal substance (aka crack), the suspension IS NOT MANDATORY, and all details about it have to be disclosed if a suspsension is handed down.

As to this in the minors, it makes sense. Its much more likely a low caliber player will be looking for an edge to maintain a roster spot or get promoted than a B Bonds (steriod user though he is :) ) use something. Im not suprised by this at all -- I am suprised only one MLB player has tested postiive, I wonder what all they test for and how.....curious
Jackalope
agchris02
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers