38 Minor Leaguers Suspended for Violating New Drug Policy - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

38 Minor Leaguers Suspended for Violating New Drug Policy

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby warrick95 » Mon Apr 04, 2005 6:22 pm

Yeah, but the MLB is probably just covering up any other big names...at least for now. They're just throwing these no-name fringe players into the steroid fire to show that they're "doing the right thing" and "clamping down on steroids."

Javier Herrera is probably the best player on the list. He's a pretty toolsy outfielder who was poised for a breakout campaign this year. He's a recent Latin American import and it is possible that he was given stuff that he wasn't aware of.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby donny23 » Mon Apr 04, 2005 6:25 pm

donny23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby donny23 » Mon Apr 04, 2005 6:28 pm

Probably, which is a big problem. At least if they catch these kids it discourages other kids from trying to to go from high school, to college or the minors and then the majors using steroids. To be honest, there isn't much that can be done about some of the older stars. My concern is more with the youth. I think the motivation is purely selfish from MLB but I do think that something like this does have positive effects. You think some kid in the low level minors isn't taking note of this right now and reconsidering taking roids? MLB still has plenty of work to do, but at least this is a start.

warrick95 wrote:Yeah, but the MLB is probably just covering up any other big names...at least for now. They're just throwing these no-name fringe players into the steroid fire to show that they're "doing the right thing" and "clamping down on steroids."

Javier Herrera is probably the best player on the list. He's a pretty toolsy outfielder who was poised for a breakout campaign this year. He's a recent Latin American import and it is possible that he was given stuff that he wasn't aware of.
donny23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby wrveres » Mon Apr 04, 2005 6:40 pm

donny23 wrote:Probably, which is a big problem. At least if they catch these kids it discourages other kids from trying to to go from high school, to college or the minors and then the majors using steroids. To be honest, there isn't much that can be done about some of the older stars. My concern is more with the youth. I think the motivation is purely selfish from MLB but I do think that something like this does have positive effects. You think some kid in the low level minors isn't taking note of this right now and reconsidering taking roids? MLB still has plenty of work to do, but at least this is a start.

warrick95 wrote:Yeah, but the MLB is probably just covering up any other big names...at least for now. They're just throwing these no-name fringe players into the steroid fire to show that they're "doing the right thing" and "clamping down on steroids."

I understand what you are saying, but this one guy here has been busted 3 times allready. THREE!
So while one can say, Yes, the policy is working, it may not be working as a deterrent. I guess to me, since the testing and the suspensions are such a joke, that they are about as much of a deterrent as Steve Howe was to cocaine abuse. I don't see it.
Do you really think this will effect Alex Sanchez? I mean one could argue he was on the way out of the game allready, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him stick around for three or four more years, even on somebodies bench. And 10 days to him is nothing. He has had teams bench him for that long.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 642)

Postby KPucks » Mon Apr 04, 2005 6:47 pm

wrveres wrote:
donny23 wrote:Probably, which is a big problem. At least if they catch these kids it discourages other kids from trying to to go from high school, to college or the minors and then the majors using steroids. To be honest, there isn't much that can be done about some of the older stars. My concern is more with the youth. I think the motivation is purely selfish from MLB but I do think that something like this does have positive effects. You think some kid in the low level minors isn't taking note of this right now and reconsidering taking roids? MLB still has plenty of work to do, but at least this is a start.

I understand what you are saying, but this one guy here has been busted 3 times allready. THREE!
So while one can say, Yes, the policy is working, it may not be working as a deterrent. I guess to me, since the testing and the suspensions are such a joke, that they are about as much of a deterrent as Steve Howe was to cocaine abuse. I don't see it.
Do you really think this will effect Alex Sanchez? I mean one could argue he was on the way out of the game allready, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him stick around for three or four more years, even on somebodies bench. And 10 days to him is nothing. He has had teams bench him for that long.

I would agree with you on your first point if there were more than one multi-time offender. There are always going to be some idiots who try to cheat the system over and over even if they know they can or will get caught, but since there is only one on this list, it would seem to be a deterrent so far because testing has been in the minors for a few years I believe. I am in no way saying that MLB's steroid policy is good enough, because in my opinion it isn't, but you have to start somewhere and with the union in the way, this is a start.
KPucks
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby wrveres » Mon Apr 04, 2005 6:52 pm

does anybody know ...

Since minor leaguers are not in the Union, and they have a different testing system, do they get a fresh start if they make the MLB.
For example, take this kid who has been busted three times, if he makes to the MLB and gets caught, does he start with a 10 day suspension?

curious if anybody knows for sure.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 642)

Postby TheYanks04 » Mon Apr 04, 2005 6:56 pm

Wow if the scrubs like Moss and Machado are shooting flaxseed oil the entire league is in question. What does Damian Moss need to shoot roids for?
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby KPucks » Mon Apr 04, 2005 7:02 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:Wow if the scrubs like Moss and Machado are shooting flaxseed oil the entire league is in question. What does Damian Moss need to shoot roids for?

Maybe he recently started to take them to get back to the majors. Pitchers would greatly benefit from steroids because they can recuperate faster between starts, a major advantage over non-using pitchers.
KPucks
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby TheYanks04 » Mon Apr 04, 2005 7:09 pm

True, but it is not going to make him have better control or command or make his breaking stuff faster. If memory serves me, Moss is a soft-tosser isn't he?
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby donny23 » Mon Apr 04, 2005 8:00 pm

I truly feel that the most important aspect of the policy is that now we get to hear names. This is an embarassment to players. You think Giambi will ever take steroids again? I doubt it. Sure this one guy was caught 3 times, but had we ever heard his name before this? With these names now being so public, I think most of these guys will think twice before doing steroids. Sure, this system still sucks because the punishments need to be more severe, but at least it's a start.
donny23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers