38 Minor Leaguers Suspended for Violating New Drug Policy - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

38 Minor Leaguers Suspended for Violating New Drug Policy

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Rirruto » Mon Apr 04, 2005 6:06 pm

Damian Moss? What's he doing dealing with steroids?? He was kind of decent when he was pitching with the Braves.
Rirruto
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby wrveres » Mon Apr 04, 2005 6:07 pm

donny23 wrote:I think doing it a bit earlier would have been better, but doing it now doesn't bother me. Put the scare into them early that this is no joke. I think that's the main purpose. Time to get rid of this problem and starting from the minor leagues at least sends a message to the younger kids (which to me is more important than any records or bs that has been talked about). Time to teach these young kids that to make it to the majors, you have to work your butt off and be good. The sad part is that this should be done at the major league level also. I truly think they want to give the stars time to clean up their act so that as few as possible test positive. Anyone know how far back these tests go in terms of tracing steroid use in a person? How long does a person have to be clean for it not to show up?

wrveres wrote:
David Castillo of the Oakland A's Single-A team was given a penalty of 60 games.

Minor league penalties for violations are
15 games for 1st positive test;
30 for second;
60 for third;
1 year for fourth;
lifetime ban for fifth positive.

3 times?

this guy has been busted 3 times allready? 8-o
holy chit!

_______

Also, why is MLB dropping these names on opening day. Thats two days in a row. Makes you wonder if there will be more names tomorrow. I guess they figure that more people will be paying attn. since its opening day and they will see "Suspensions", and figure that MLB is fixing the problem.
Personally I think it takes away from the "Opening Day" atmosphere and is a poor decision by Selig. :-t

well, figure first of all that MLB doesn't even test for half of the stuff out there, and then there are masking agents. But it is my undertsanding that the pass throgh the system in just a few days, maybe a week at most. I hoenstly do not know.

As afr as releasing the names, I agree. They should have released them sooner, or worst case waited a week. But not ON opeing day. :-t
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 692)

Postby wrveres » Mon Apr 04, 2005 6:09 pm

Rirruto wrote:Damian Moss? What's he doing dealing with steroids?? He was kind of decent when he was pitching with the Braves.

yeah, I saw that too . :-t
Last edited by wrveres on Mon Apr 04, 2005 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 692)

Postby donny23 » Mon Apr 04, 2005 6:09 pm

What's he doing dealing with steroids? Trying to make himself that much better. Seems like we're seeing the reality of the situation more and more as the days go on, and it's as bad as we expected. These young guys are all looking for that extra edge. Everyone is looking for that quick fix rather than working their butt off. Seems it's as widespread in baseball as feared.

Rirruto wrote:Damian Moss? What's he doing dealing with steroids?? He was kind of decent when he was pitching with the Braves.
donny23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby donny23 » Mon Apr 04, 2005 6:11 pm

Interesting...before the banner at the top read that they did steroids, now it says they violated the drug policy. Either way, I'm sure a good percentage if not all are steroids.

wrveres wrote:
Rirruto wrote:I wonder what other kinds of drugs these kids were using. Doesnt say in the article and cant be all steroids, can it?

yeah, I saw that too . :-t
donny23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Rirruto » Mon Apr 04, 2005 6:12 pm

donny23 wrote:What's he doing dealing with steroids? Trying to make himself that much better. Seems like we're seeing the reality of the situation more and more as the days go on, and it's as bad as we expected. These young guys are all looking for that extra edge. Everyone is looking for that quick fix rather than working their butt off. Seems it's as widespread in baseball as feared.

How does steriods help a pitcher actually?
Rirruto
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby bd3521 » Mon Apr 04, 2005 6:14 pm

Endurance and quick recovery
[url]http://www.footballguys.com/05vbdrevisited.htm[/url]
bd3521
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby SuptownSpartans34 » Mon Apr 04, 2005 6:15 pm

I'd be doing any kind of drugs if I was with the Devil Rays
(not so sure he is now, but he used to be)
Woo Badgers
SuptownSpartans34
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby donny23 » Mon Apr 04, 2005 6:16 pm

wrveres - I guess the problem is that MLB is trying to send a message that they are serious, but I guess it IS hard to take serious given the looseness of the current policy. They wanted to give that extra effect by putting it on opening day probably to show that they aren't afraid to hurt the image of baseball in the short-term in the short haul to help baseball in the long-haul. The problem there is all they are doing is trying to mask the fact that the policy is still weak for the reasons you stated.
donny23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby donny23 » Mon Apr 04, 2005 6:22 pm

How does it help any athlete? Steroids are so misunderstood it's scary. Someone explained earlier on the board about Ben Johnson and other Olympic runners that have been suspended for steroids. Steroids aren't used only to get bulky muscle and for power. They are used for energy and other added performance. That extra strength and stamina can certainly help a pitcher. Steroids aren't only about muscle mass.

Rirruto wrote:
donny23 wrote:What's he doing dealing with steroids? Trying to make himself that much better. Seems like we're seeing the reality of the situation more and more as the days go on, and it's as bad as we expected. These young guys are all looking for that extra edge. Everyone is looking for that quick fix rather than working their butt off. Seems it's as widespread in baseball as feared.

How does steriods help a pitcher actually?
donny23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers